PDA

View Full Version : legal or not???? stainless steel plate at back of tray?????

matty86
17th October 2012, 05:43 PM
hi i hope i am putting this in the right spot but on my way home from work today i was pulled over by the police and they told me a few things i wasnt sure on and i cant find much on google! first at the back of my tray (nissan patrol 2001 ute) where the lights and number plate goes i have a mirror finish plate of stainless steel they said it has to go or cant be shiny! i have gone to nsw a few times and my mum followed me and she said she never had a problem with sun refecting!! so just wondering if there are any laws on it?? second i have a 2inch lift kit and they said it has to be certified by qld transport?? any help would be great thanks everyone!!!

Winnie
17th October 2012, 05:51 PM
Your 2" lift does not have to be certified mate, sounds like he is being a jerk and trying to pin you on anything he can. Not sure on the stainless though, best to call the rta on that one, they might be able to help you there.

While you're here though how about you pop over to the intro section and let us know a bit about yourself and your ride.

threedogs
17th October 2012, 05:54 PM
Just beat me to it Winnie

matty86
17th October 2012, 05:57 PM
thanks heaps! i will get into that i just uploaded some pics dont know if it worked or not? one more question how would u go about dulling the stainless???

MudRunnerTD
17th October 2012, 06:07 PM
Hit it with a little scotch brite from the kitchen sink or steel wool and it will dull off quickly and easily. I'd book you for that too mate sorry and I'm not a copper. If there is a chance that a vehicle traveling behind at night might cop a head light reflection and its got to go mate.

matty86
17th October 2012, 06:22 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking. i wasnt booked for anything they were more interested in talking to me about my paint job i was just wondering if it was a law or just not advised? i will be dulling it up either way i dont want to cause any problems on the roads there are enough crazies out there for that lol

megatexture
17th October 2012, 06:45 PM
i think the steel wool would work fine or is there a acid etch you could spray on it im just thinking the wool may be a pain to get an even finish on it maybe someone else has done something simular?.

whats diffrent about your paint job mate? got art- work on it or air brushed ? if so would love to see it !

matty86
17th October 2012, 06:55 PM
it just has a large rainbow flake through the top coat nothing that special but people seam to love it. on the stainless i might get it whip blasted at my work that will be best i think well i will give it a go and see?

pic in my profile of my car dont know how to add one on here??

megatexture
17th October 2012, 07:08 PM
try going to your photo gallery and click on the photo you like and scroll down you will see a link that’s call "bb" copy and paste it in this text column and it will show the pic between the text where you place it . here is a pic to help

alternatively click on the "go advanced" and you will see manage attachments button and you can work out the rest as you have done it in your gallery

The BigFella
17th October 2012, 07:27 PM
sounds like the cop was enforcing "his" interpretation of the rules yet again!
When I was a we little lad we all purchased one tonne utes, V8's and all the fruit.
Every time one of us young hoon's would drive down the street with our fold down sides removed the constabulary would fine us.
Some contested and lost,,,,,,,,,,,,

The speech went like this "Table top tray's are to be fitted folding sides where sides were fitted as per factory equipment, or something close to those words.

As for the shiny rear plate, any item that is deemed a potential traffic hazard are not permitted. No matter whether it was factory fitment or after market.

As per usual though, these rules or guide lines are open to individual interpretation.

BigRAWesty
17th October 2012, 07:32 PM
Before you go nuts with the steel wool, stick a clump of it in a drill and then do a spot at a time by dapping the wool onto the steel while spinning.
It's how you get the nice patterns.

Cheers from Westy

Westy's Accessories.

04OFF
17th October 2012, 07:55 PM
it just has a large rainbow flake through the top coat nothing that special but people seam to love it. on the stainless i might get it whip blasted at my work that will be best i think well i will give it a go and see?

pic in my profile of my car dont know how to add one on here??

Here ya go mate, looks sweet, not what i was expecting thats for sure, nice work ! :smiley_thumbs_up:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21221&thumb=1&d=1350462435

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21220&thumb=1&d=1350457126

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21217&thumb=1&d=1350457126

matty86
17th October 2012, 08:36 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21221
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21220
here are some pics thanks so much for all ur help everyone!!!!

Winnie
17th October 2012, 08:36 PM
Hey mate those pics are not working for me?

matty86
17th October 2012, 08:38 PM
Before you go nuts with the steel wool, stick a clump of it in a drill and then do a spot at a time by dapping the wool onto the steel while spinning.
It's how you get the nice patterns.

Cheers from Westy

Westy's Accessories.

oh awesome i was wondering how that was done i have some extra bit a will try it on first thanks again!!!

megatexture
17th October 2012, 08:38 PM
ditto where they hosted ?

matty86
17th October 2012, 09:13 PM
sorry i think i fixed it :S

oncedisturbed
17th October 2012, 10:36 PM
That paint looks funky but would be a pain in the date to maintain - bugger getting it scratched though.

Same as the others, carefully dull the rear panel just to be sure it doesn't "flash" for the rear driver's lights. I have never heard of that issue before from anywhere before

megatexture
17th October 2012, 10:58 PM
Yea mate working now just the angle the pic was taken on the 2nd one but its diffrent

Robo
18th October 2012, 04:41 AM
Yep Its one instance the boy in blue is correct about the shiny plate.
At night someone following you would be blinded by their own headlights reflecting back of that shiny steel plate.

Like the drill spinning a clump steel wool idea as a fix, will be committing that one to memory.
cheers

my third 256
18th October 2012, 05:57 AM
Yep Its one instance the boy in blue is correct about the shiny plate.
At night someone following you would be blinded by their own headlights reflecting back of that shiny steel plate.

Like the drill spinning a clump steel wool idea as a fix, will be committing that one to memory.
cheers
also dont forget the revenue maker when the camera goes off the flash is reflected and they dont get your no plate
remember a few years back you could buy some clear paint from N.Z to put on no plate that reflected the flash was advertised on tv
then there was the plastic covers that went over the plates and did the same thing
thats showing my age

threedogs
18th October 2012, 06:25 AM
Think it to do with the reflective nature of the stainless, I'm with Mudrunner,
Great minds Bigfella brother in law giving me a one tonner, never done a car up only bikes, got whole car for ZIP
gotta be happy with that
Now what about all the polished alloy trade boxes out there?

Irvs
18th October 2012, 06:38 AM
My third, they did a mythbusters episode on all of those plastic covers and paints and such and they all failed miserably, not to mention that you would get pulled over by an alert cop if he saw the plastic cover

threedogs
18th October 2012, 12:49 PM
The way to put the pattern on stainless is with a scotch bright pad on a rubber backing plate with shaft to suit your drill. just need to touch it not press hard