PDA

View Full Version : first Nissan

4.2GU4
14th October 2012, 05:48 PM
So I have done the leap from Rover to Nissan ,Took my GUIV ST-S 4.2 out for its first 4x4 in my hands today a bit of rock creek stuff and step downs the usual in our play area and was different very different but good need to get use to the size but this did not take long ,got to get use to new noises ect ,one thing I did notice and had a suspicion from the first time I drove it I think the clutch is on its way out

so have been using the search button and mostly exedy safari tuff and 4 terrian are the ones that come up but cant find if 4 terrian do one for a GUIV 4.2 .surely they do will make a few calls tomorrow
are there other brands which are good ?

as I am very new to nissan and am handy with the tools I will be in search of info and tips in the future
Cheers Kelvin

nissannewby
14th October 2012, 05:54 PM
NPC to a nice heavy clutch for the patrols also. The only difference between a TD42 safari tuff and a TD42T safari tuff is the turbo pressure plate has 4 holes for the 4 dowels where as the NA only has 2. I would go safari tuff. I have safari tuff's in my GQ and GU.

When doing the clutch make sure you get the flywheel machined and its good practice to replace the rear main while your at it. Depending on the style of rear main seal it would pay to remove the sump and put a new sump gasket on.

After installing check the pushrod adjustment from your pedal to master cylinder. I think the spec is about 14mm others will hopefully add to this.

MudRunnerTD
14th October 2012, 06:24 PM
Why do you think the clutch is stuffed?

Is it slipping or is it heavy?

If its slipping then no brainer it's knackered, if its heavy under your foot then your likely got a vacuum problem or the slave cylinder is stuffed

4.2GU4
14th October 2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info nissannewby
mudrunner yeah its stinky and slipping