PDA

View Full Version : GQ gearbox leak from bellhousing

AB
13th October 2012, 04:16 PM
After arriving home yesterday from the meet up I noticed oil leaking from the bellhousing as per photo below.

100% confirmed It's gearbox oil so can only assume the seal has gone in the gearbox and leaked into the bell housing?

Not sure why It's that dirty either as It's only 15k old but anyway.

Took the breather off and blasted air through the line, noticed a small amount of dirt come out the end at the top which may have been the cause????

Next step before dropping the box would be to clean it all up, change the oil and see what happens.

Although the photo looks bad the oil level is still full so it hasn't leaked a great deal.

My questions are...Is it possible after doing 5000 hard kilometres towing the camper caused it to heat up and????....Breather might of been blocked too so once cleaned out will this be fixed....Yep, trying for the easy options first....LMAO

Any other things to do/check, etc or ideas are welcomed!!!

Not looking forward to this one!!!!:animierte-smilies-f

taslucas
13th October 2012, 04:20 PM
Its not the rear main seal is it?

Or front main seal of gearbox??

AB
13th October 2012, 04:23 PM
Its not the rear main seal is it?

Not rear main seal....

taslucas
13th October 2012, 04:28 PM
Well thats a good start:)

Ben-e-boy
13th October 2012, 07:59 PM
are you able to drop that inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing and have a look inside, you may need an inspection mirror to get a visual on you main shaft seal????

if you lived in qld a fair few of us would be around to help sort it as that is what us qlders do lol

threedogs
13th October 2012, 08:18 PM
Thats a big leak AB ,thats not seeping?
When did you change clutch last?

AB
13th October 2012, 09:15 PM
are you able to drop that inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing and have a look inside, you may need an inspection mirror to get a visual on you main shaft seal????

if you lived in qld a fair few of us would be around to help sort it as that is what us qlders do lol

Thanks for rubbing it in mate...lol

I'll suss that out tomorrow, cheers

AB
13th October 2012, 09:15 PM
Thats a big leak AB ,thats not seeping?
When did you change clutch last?

Clutch was only done about 4 months ago mate.

nissannewby
13th October 2012, 09:21 PM
Looks like a rear main. What colour is the oil?

threedogs
13th October 2012, 10:45 PM
From what I read here every one says change rear main at the same time you change clutch, you done a boo boo??
Also is your bellhousing tight, no shuddering on way home???

AB
14th October 2012, 08:31 AM
Very well could be wrong and although It's dark It's 100% gearbox oil, you can smell it. Gearbox oil was replaced April last year too which doesnt explain why It's dark.

Rear main was replaced with the clutch too and no shuddering on the way home.

I'll take it down the shed and have a proper look today as I just had a quick glance yesterday and blew the breather line clean.

Fingers firmly crossed but either way the gearbox is coming out :(

threedogs
14th October 2012, 08:41 AM
Just throwing stuff out there, not broken locker lines or Gear box breathers ,
Does your GQ have that spill plate for oil changes??

AB
14th October 2012, 08:45 AM
No spill plate at all mate. I did notice some little chunks of dry mud come out when I blew the breather clean so very possible it was blocked.

taslucas
14th October 2012, 01:26 PM
Are you thinking that the blocked breather could have caused a pressure build up and pushed some oil through your front main gearbox seal?
Dont worry andy, i could run a small car off the oil that drips out of mine:)

threedogs
14th October 2012, 01:44 PM
Looking at the leak from here, it looks like it didn't seep but sort of gushed then stopped. I take it it stopped.
Shite been watching way too much CSI, Thats my theory. plus not taken on a big trip for a while.
think I like blocked breather or similar

AB
14th October 2012, 03:54 PM
Are you thinking that the blocked breather could have caused a pressure build up and pushed some oil through your front main gearbox seal?
Dont worry andy, i could run a small car off the oil that drips out of mine:)

That's exactly what I think mate, a lot of hard km's were done and possible blocked breather too. just confirmed rear main is fine and it's gearbox oil.

It's not really leaking much anymore. I'll drain and fill the gb degrease it all and see what happens!

nissannewby
27th October 2012, 08:07 AM
Any updates on this AB? Did it turn out to just be a blocked breather?

AB
27th October 2012, 08:17 AM
Any updates on this AB? Did it turn out to just be a blocked breather?

I havent even had a chance to degrease it yet and check it out...lol.....Not my daily driver.

Plan is to clean it all up today and find out whats happening.

Thanks for the reminder....LMAO

AB
27th October 2012, 04:34 PM
So far so good mate. Cleaned it up and went for a drive today.

No leaks so far!!!