PDA

View Full Version : GQ stripdown

mike
7th November 2010, 09:36 PM
GQ strip down for respray/rebuild.

Cheers Mike

AB
7th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Can't stop now Mike, keep us updated with how you go mate!

Check out MudrunnerTD's thread under this section too, His photos will give you some inspiration.

mike
7th November 2010, 09:55 PM
Inspiration? didnt it take him 2 yrs bugger that i want it on the road asap so i can cruise the beach over summer.Just hope i can refit all the parts at the end of it.

Cheers Mike

Woof
7th November 2010, 10:23 PM
So what colour is it going to be Mike???

mike
7th November 2010, 10:35 PM
Same colour, only respraying because of the dreaded nissan paint peel and i live 350 m from the coast .Bugger all panel damage and almost nil rust.Ill spend a few $ on it and then keep it a few years longer.Cant bring myself to buy a newer fancy electronic turbo thingy yet.Ill stick with slow(very)and reliable.

Cheers Mike

cyanobacteria
9th November 2010, 05:18 PM
GQ strip down for respray/rebuild.

$$$? Any recommendations on where to go?

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2010, 05:38 PM
He Mike,

Good luck mate, hope it goes really well. I stripped mine down for the peeling paint too and got some really bad advice and guidance very early in the piece that cost me most of the time it took.

I note in you pics that you have left the doors on and all the mechanisms in. The guy that "Was going" to do mine stripped the doors off and the glass out, the mechanisms out and then lost interest...An hour from my house!

Are you going to strip it back to metal? I did cause of the peel which was terrible. In hindsight i can see no reason why you would not just strip the outside and leave the paint to peel under the door skins (mine wasn't but we stripped it anyways.)

I also got committed to rolling it out with new suspension and every mod i wanted as part of a Project that just grew and grew.

Hope it goes well mate, if you need anything let me know.

Good luck, look forward to seeing it rolling. Not that big a job if you keep it simple.

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2010, 05:42 PM
Mike , now would be a great time to cut your rear quarters if you ever wanted to?

Also i cut the back out of the front guards to better accommodate the 35s which was a very easy job and came up a treat. Again, now would be a good time to get that sorted too if you are looking to fit big rubber at any stage.

AB
9th November 2010, 09:32 PM
Mike , now would be a great time to cut your rear quarters if you ever wanted to?

Also i cut the back out of the front guards to better accommodate the 35s which was a very easy job and came up a treat. Again, now would be a good time to get that sorted too if you are looking to fit big rubber at any stage.

Goog tip MR.

mike
11th November 2010, 08:42 PM
Ta for the support guys ,gonna leave the doors etc on but still have a few minor things to remove. Ill do most of the body prep myself and a mate will slap the colour on. No 1/4 panel chops 4 me ugly and i only run 31 '' tyres anyway.Apart from a rear bar / dual wheel carrier shes pretty much goin back as is.Im mostly set up for touring / 4wding rather than hardcore .Its still pretty capable though & has most of the extras i need already.ie Warn winch,Endless air + tank ,OME springs and shocks (2'' lift),35l s/steel water tank ,dual fuel tanks (230 l total) ,twin alternators one for each battery,Cargo barrier & drawer system with 60 l engel,rear under seat storage draws ,Hf radio,IPF spotties , O/head console,BFG mud terrains,heat exchanger for shower.

Cheers Mike

Woof
11th November 2010, 11:17 PM
Wow Mike, certainly does sound like you have got everything covered there mate, well done

mike
21st November 2010, 09:00 PM
panel work done and finally an undercoat and sanded back ready to go back in the shed for the first top coat

Bigrig
21st November 2010, 09:25 PM
Throw some new/onging piccies up mate ... love that sort of stuff ... full marks from me for your effort mate!!

mike
22nd November 2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry heres a pic

NissanGQ4.2
22nd November 2010, 09:35 PM
nice work mike, its lookin good

mike
23rd November 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah should come up ok ,lotta work and thats without any rust or much in the way of panel damage

Cheers Mike

AB
23rd November 2010, 08:49 PM
Good effort mate! A+++

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 09:57 PM
Looks like you have put a good effort in to her and looks like it workin out great job

mike
23rd November 2010, 10:28 PM
I'll post a few more pics as the project advances ,thanx for the goods feedback

Cheers Mike

mike
26th November 2010, 09:45 PM
1st colour coat goin on tomorrow morn !!

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2010, 09:48 PM
1st colour coat goin on tomorrow morn !!

Nice one mate, don't forget to take some pics :):):)

SIMO2X
27th November 2010, 12:25 AM
Im jealous :p

mike
28th November 2010, 07:39 PM
1st colour coat on!!Now for the not fun part wet rub !

NissanGQ4.2
28th November 2010, 08:40 PM
thanks for the pics mate, its looking good, look forward to seeing the end result

Woof
28th November 2010, 09:09 PM
Oh I so want to do that to my GQ but will have to wait awhile, looking good Mike keep the photos coming mate...

mike
11th December 2010, 07:48 PM
Finally after a slack w/e off got a bit done on the GQ today.Final colour coat & clear on inside pillars,doors & sills etc.Final colour on roof just need to 1200 wet rub.600 wet rub on rest of body & its ready for its final colour coat .Should pick up freshly powder coated bullbar ,winch cradle & fairlead roller frame,window supports this week.Getting there slowly!!

big_fletch
12th December 2010, 08:42 PM
Great pics mate :smiley_thumbs_up:
Cant wait to see the finished product

Bigrig
12th December 2010, 08:44 PM
same goes - top job mate - can't wait to see the end result either!!

MudRunnerTD
29th December 2010, 07:23 PM
How are you travellin Mike?

mike
29th December 2010, 09:14 PM
Bit slow ATM Mate thats doin the sprayins on hollies ,plenty of other jobs to do tho.removing tint from glass ,cleaning up parts/trim /rubbers etc.Not to mention taking the rough end of the pineapple from mr nissan for a few measly parts "(4 door weather strips & aerial = $330)Body is all rubbed back for final clear coat so slowly gettin there.Got b/bar and other parts back from sandblast/powdercoaters looks good.Spat it about gettin stuffed around so he did the powdercoat for $110 + $110 for sand blast so $220 for bullbar ,winch cradle & fairlead roller frame,window supports is ok to me .Post some pics when clear coat is on

Cheers Mike

patch697
29th December 2010, 09:20 PM
Looking forward to this Mike & thanks for the update mate.

mike
29th December 2010, 09:31 PM
yeah lookin forward to havin a car again too !!Goin to the beach tomorra and have to take the mrs suz swift ,no 60 l engel for the beers hope i dont get bogged that ll be embaressing as hell ill never live that down with the mates.All my projects seem to cost and take 4-5 times what i plan for.

Cheers Mike

Bigrig
29th December 2010, 10:08 PM
... All my projects seem to cost and take 4-5 times what i plan for.

Cheers Mike

All the best ones do mate!! LOL

patch697
29th December 2010, 10:32 PM
^^^^^^ X2.......lololol

MudRunnerTD
30th December 2010, 10:32 PM
......All my projects seem to cost and take 4-5 times what i plan for.

Cheers Mike

Hey Mike good to hear it is moving along mate, it will be awesome when it is rolling again mate and you will be a happy as pig poo. t will all be worth it at the end mate,

A few days on the beach in a Zuk is not the end of the world.

Keep it going mate, i look forward to some more pics mate.

Cheers MudRunner

KINGRAT502
5th February 2011, 12:51 PM
i,m in the same proces,,just striped my water loged interior out,,

MudRunnerTD
7th February 2011, 12:18 AM
i,m in the same proces,,just striped my water loged interior out,,

Hey Kingrats, that sux mate. not a really big deal though, good time to shampoo the carpet while it is out of the car. If the water did not get tot he dash then you should be rolling inside 2 weeks for sure and that is giving it heaps of time to dry out.

Have fun mate.

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2011, 05:56 PM
Hey Mike how ya travellin mate?