PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust.. Beaudesert or Redback ?

Ronin
13th October 2012, 01:24 AM
I am looking to hear from people who have installed either of the two exhausts.

reason being that I am looking for some extra bit of power and milage out of my brand new bog standard GU. From reading the forum I figured the exhaust is the first mod I should look into.

Bigrig
13th October 2012, 08:45 AM
Would chipping it be a better start mate?? Similar money and probably better performance gains than a straight swap of the exhaust.

Others would have better input on this but either way, good luck with it.

MudRunnerTD
13th October 2012, 08:45 AM
An exhaust and Chip will see you with a BIG smile on your face mate

MudRunnerTD
13th October 2012, 08:48 AM
LOL Scottie we were on it mate! I'd probably be thinking the Chip first too if the funds can only do one or the other.

Both and then a good Dyno is a Winner mate. think about a Pyro gauge before the Dyno if you go down that path.

snewin
13th October 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm currently saving up for a SS 3" beaudesert exhaust. Finished doing my research into it and have moved on to other things but the decision was this & I looked into a lot, and there are a lot lol.

NT09ST
13th October 2012, 09:52 AM
Im new to the world of Patrols but have been into cars for yrs and id be looking at the exhaust first as if you get the tune right and then change the exhaust ull be having to start over again. Im also looking at upgrading my exhaust so id be interested to see what ppl have to say.

Bigrig
13th October 2012, 10:02 AM
LOL Scottie we were on it mate! I'd probably be thinking the Chip first too if the funds can only do one or the other.

Both and then a good Dyno is a Winner mate. think about a Pyro gauge before the Dyno if you go down that path.

Haha - some saying about "great minds think alike"!! I prefer the option that "fools rarely differ"!!! lmao

Yep, both if the funds allow for it - the some extra money for napkins to catch the after effect of the install (drool)! lol

grimace
13th October 2012, 10:17 AM
bought 2 3/4 the exhaust for my 2008 and absolutey love it! by far the best mod i have done and had i have bought the system first i would not have bought the chip also went the beaudesert and there was a bit of drama which i won't go into..... ok here's what happened, the blokes that pack it for shipping actually put the wrong tail pipe in and they sent me a 3" rear tail pipe to suit the 4.2l ute which mine is a 3l wagon. anyway rang them and they said to take the truck to a local bloke to have the 3" end modified to fit then they would send the right one out (which they did) at the time i was supposed to drive to work the next day so i had to miss the first 2 hours. beaudesert gave me back the money for the mod, payed me for the 2 hours work i missed and sent the correct part and i also left the 3" end on it because it looks better! i can't say enough about the guys at beaudesert and it was a very easy DIY install.......GO BEAUDESERT! cheers....

jalcol01
13th October 2012, 10:26 AM
I own a 2006 4.2 intercooled st tray back and recently fitted a beaudesert exhaust and noticed a marked improvment in fuel economy and more importantly power would recommend to all. And quite easy to fit

mudski
13th October 2012, 10:33 AM
Honestly. What would make one of those two brands said to be the better? Say if they were both 3inch and mandrel bent? Nothing... Stainless steel? I see no point, but its up to what you like, you can't really see it anyhow. The only real factor I could think of is the Cat, whether it's guts are ceramic or metallic and maybe the muffler. Other than that your just paying for a brand name.
But I have a 3inch Redback system I got for $900 and I fitted it myself. Much cheaper than whats advertised in Ebay...I went through all this rigmarole too and just went to my local zorst shop and he sorted me out good with the system I have now.

Good luck.

Bigrig
13th October 2012, 10:40 AM
Honestly. What would make one of those two brands said to be the better? Say if they were both 3inch and mandrel bent? Nothing... Stainless steel? I see no point, but its up to what you like, you can't really see it anyhow. The only real factor I could think of is the Cat, whether it's guts are ceramic or metallic and maybe the muffler. Other than that your just paying for a brand name.
But I have a 3inch Redback system I got for $900 and I fitted it myself. Much cheaper than whats advertised in Ebay...I went through all this rigmarole too and just went to my local zorst shop and he sorted me out good with the system I have now.

Good luck.

Totally agree with you mate - exhaust innovations did mine at Capalaba (Brian - top bloke) and just like you say, it's a bent pipe ... other than material used, price, and the cat (of you have one), it's still just a bent pipe ...

Alitis007
13th October 2012, 10:47 AM
My 2 cents, redback mild steel mufflers corrode after 1 year on normal sedans that get driven daily on the road so i can only imagine what will happen wen you go off road. Best bet is to source stainless steel exhausts worth the extra $$ IMO.

mudski
13th October 2012, 12:47 PM
Each to their own, but the standard exhaust is made from mild steel and mine old exhaust was 11 years old and there was no sign of corrosion...Corrosion in mufflers normaly happens when the car does a lot of stop/start traffic and doesn't get a real chance to blow out the condensation. So the moisture just sits there and does its thing. I found this years back (20plus years) when working in an exhaust shop.

Ronin
13th October 2012, 01:11 PM
great feedback guys... for now I will go for the exhaust .. then a snorkel and then a chip and hope the missues is still with me... :)

another question, being a new GU, I got the extra 3 years warranty as well from Nissan. Putting in the exhaust should not void it ?

From the feedback, I am leaning towards the beaudesert exhaust...

Alitis007
13th October 2012, 01:29 PM
It probably will check with your dealer what the conditions of your warranty are.

mudski
13th October 2012, 02:17 PM
Do you have a price for the two?

Ronin
13th October 2012, 07:47 PM
Do you have a price for the two?

not yet. I am kinda expecting that both will be about the same price range.

threedogs
13th October 2012, 08:58 PM
Sorry I'm against the lot of you. unless already done I'd be fitting boost and EGT gauage so I can monitor any changes a new exhaust will make.
Could be doing unseen harm without them , thats my 2cents worth. Then Chip and Zoorst at same time you'll notice a huge difference then

Not much change from $3k for zoorst and chip

Ben-e-boy
13th October 2012, 09:05 PM
I have a beaudesert exhaust and mine sits quite high between the chassis rails I have never hit it bottoming out. I bought a beausesert exhaust based on that recommendation

Cheers
Benny

threedogs
13th October 2012, 09:07 PM
You'll find the Beaudesert ones are alluminized steel , high tech

kevin07
14th October 2012, 12:32 AM
Sorry I'm against the lot of you. unless already done I'd be fitting boost and EGT gauage so I can monitor any changes a new exhaust will make.
Could be doing unseen harm without them , thats my 2cents worth. Then Chip and Zoorst at same time you'll notice a huge difference then

im with threedogs as well fit the gauges first also probably wise to get a ultra gauge or scangauge pm my third for that one so if you get any codes just clear them

killercat
14th October 2012, 05:17 PM
Had a Beaudesert exhaust put on my 2011 GU patrol in August, still smiliing, extra power/torque noticeable as well as improved fuel consumption. Beaudesert installation was fantastic even had to make a modification to the tail pipe due to ARB rear bar, nothing was too much trouble for the team. Highly recommend them.

Maxhead
14th October 2012, 05:27 PM
Can't comment on the redback but the beaudesert is brilliant and was a huge improvement for low down torque. I needed bit more torque for towing as I was finding I would have to stretch 2nd gear to about 3500+ rpm so when I changed to 3rd I would be around 2000 rpm to pull the van. With the 2.75 beaudesert I change gears normally as the truck will pull the van from around 1600 rpm :) Huge improvement!!!

I heard these guys do a lot of R&D on their product. They found if you go 3" they had some over-boosting issues so they stuck with 2.75" , hi flow cat and muffler.

snewin
14th October 2012, 07:30 PM
You'll find the Beaudesert ones are alluminized steel , high tech

Choice of aluminised steel or stainless steel.

Ronin
14th October 2012, 09:44 PM
Choice of aluminised steel or stainless steel.

do you mean they have two different models ?

BearGUST
15th October 2012, 04:43 PM
Aluminiumised steel (ACMS) is nothing fancy, its just mild steel. I don't think you can buy any mild steel exhaust that isn't ACMS.
I've got the redback 3" on mine which I did before fitting a chip, huge difference! IMO on a forced induction car there is nothing more important than a free flowing exhaust.

Diesel is an oily fuel which means you always have an oily film in the exhaust which stops it rusting out. Stainless is overkill.

Ronin
15th October 2012, 04:46 PM
so I am wondering... if the exhaust made so much difference, why didn't Nissan themselves make the change themselves as in making it factory installed ?

MEGOMONSTER
15th October 2012, 04:47 PM
Probably the noise and pollution restraints.

Jack taps here...........

nissannewby
15th October 2012, 05:39 PM
so I am wondering... if the exhaust made so much difference, why didn't Nissan themselves make the change themselves as in making it factory installed ?

Same reason engine crankcase gases are recirculated into the engines intake. Its all to keep the do gooders happy. All the restrictions placed on our motors in the last 20 years are for environmental benefits and regulations. The best thing for any motor is clean air in and exgaust air out as quick as possible to allow for more clean air in and with better flow the engine can run so much better.

teno45
16th October 2012, 03:45 PM
do you mean they have two different models ?

Thats correct. got quoted two weeks ago for the two different systems. only different is material. (and price...)

snewin
16th October 2012, 04:07 PM
The best thing for any motor is clean air in and exgaust air out as quick as possible to allow for more clean air in and with better flow the engine can run so much better.

So true. I na nutshell an engine is an air pump. You wouldn't try to run air in and out of it with 20 metres of 1 inch pipe each side.

mudski
16th October 2012, 05:28 PM

Toatally agree with you there. I thought the OP would be doing this first regardless. But you need to shop around. I got out of it for $1600. DP chip and Redback exhaust. Hehe, Told the missus I hit a truck tyre carcass on the freeway and ripped my zorst out, then told her that a new OEM pipe was $1400 and I could get a new one, if I fit it myself, for 9hunge :) She thought I was soo smart in my findings. God I'm good.

Plus the reasons for using S/S over steel or aluminised steel is looks and S/S will give a better exhaust note. But hey its a 4cyl gutless diseasal. Sound ain't gonna make it go better.

macca86
16th October 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure how a s/s pipe sounds better than a steel pipe? Thought most people use s/s for looks and anti corrosion properties

Ronin
16th October 2012, 08:13 PM
I did consider putting a chip in. However the no. of chips available is quite large and I haven't done enough research to know which is a good one and which shop does it best.

The second issue is that my troll being a new one warranty is an issue. I called up the local dealer and the service manager said that if there is an issue it would be onto me to prove that the mod did not cause the issue. He was a bit hesistant with chips however with the exhaust he said that it generally helped the engine.

With the chip, I will have to get something that is removable, so I can take it off before service and even then I am not sure the service people will be able to detect the changes. However I am open to all ideas about it.

so that the reason for my pref for exhaust, its relatively simple and generally dosent cause any issues and Nissan are more tolerant about it.

Morton
16th October 2012, 08:24 PM
I am with Threedogs & Nishead,do gauges first, a 3" exhaust will cause the turbo to spool quicker & can cause it to spike or overboost, if the exhaust guys knows his sh1t then they will know this, this is not good or generally healthy for the 3l, fit the gauges first & foremost, know what is happening all the time, dont let a 3k mod turn into a 10k mod, I spoke with the Redback rep on the weekend & he told me it is better to fit a 2.5-2.75" system, no spiking issues, they will sell you a 3" but prefer you to know what might happen, others dont & they know but it is nothing to do with them so often you are not warned. For me that is a major issue, I dont keep a spare 7k plus sitting around waiting for it to be spent cos I didnt think ahead, do the gauges, exhaust & chip, then dyno it & adjust the boost issue accordingly, learn to understand the gauge, this is the only advise I can give, I dont like to hear about 7K oil leaks in the driveway with big lumps of metal in it

BearGUST
16th October 2012, 09:28 PM
I'd agree that 3" is probably overkill too, I got it because the price was very right... (I got chip and exhaust for $1000)
The redback system is only 2.5" from the turbo outlet into the cat anyway. I assume other systems are the same as the 3 bolt flange doesn't really allow for anything bigger.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:33 PM
On the Noise thing "in the old days" yes, every one used 2" copper pipe, sounded better ,fumes would kill you, but sounded better

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:37 PM
Can I ask why you want to do all these mods to a brand new 4x4 in warranty?? very curious

BearGUST
16th October 2012, 09:47 PM
Can I ask why you want to do all these mods to a brand new 4x4 in warranty?? very curious

Haha, I'm tipping same reason everyone else does mods. That's pretty much the reason forums like this exist.

It's interesting that the service manager said that you have to prove that any mods didn't cause a failure, it's more like the other way around. They sell the car with a warranty, if something breaks and they don't want to honour the warranty-they have to prove that it's your fault.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 10:02 PM
Mate read a few threads about warranty and Nissan wouldn't be your choice, No such thing as a 4x4 salesman he only crunches number.
You the buyer know more about the 4x4 than him, thats why you pay $xxx to drive a 4x4 and he drives a sedan.
Can meet you any time go to any dealership ask a few questions and 10 out of 10 times salesman wont know the answer

BearGUST
16th October 2012, 10:12 PM
I've read a few posts about Nissan's poor reputation on warranty claims, very disappointing.
I agree that salesmen are generally hopeless but this service manager that Ronin has spoken to is obviously trying to get on the front foot regarding any mods. I've worked at dealers and for manufacturers for 15 years, if a failure occurred its up to Nissan to prove your mods caused it.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah but is it worth all they angst, Read Goats post on" over heating 2010"
But thats hopefully a one off.

Ronin
16th October 2012, 10:32 PM
Like Beargust said, to get the most out of a troll. It seems to struggle going uphill with a few mates in and a slab or two of beer.

yeah I read goats thread about how Nissan gave him the run around. That thread has definitely given me second thoughts.

maybe I should hold off....

Maxhead
17th October 2012, 06:32 AM
Before I did anything to my last truck and this one I sent Nissan service manager an email with my intentions of doing mods to the vehicle. I asked him if any would void my warranty.
I have it in writing now saying no problems, unless directly causing the problem warranty will stand.
He also agrees a better exhaust is beneficial as standard is too restrictive.

Another option would be to just change the cat and muffler to a hi-flow ones and get rid of the rear resonator bit.

Ronin
17th October 2012, 11:32 AM
Before I did anything to my last truck and this one I sent Nissan service manager an email with my intentions of doing mods to the vehicle. I asked him if any would void my warranty.
I have it in writing now saying no problems, unless directly causing the problem warranty will stand.
He also agrees a better exhaust is beneficial as standard is too restrictive.

Another option would be to just change the cat and muffler to a hi-flow ones and get rid of the rear resonator bit.

that sounds like an awesome plan...

Morton
20th October 2012, 09:11 AM
Haha, I'm tipping same reason everyone else does mods. That's pretty much the reason forums like this exist.

It's interesting that the service manager said that you have to prove that any mods didn't cause a failure, it's more like the other way around. They sell the car with a warranty, if something breaks and they don't want to honour the warranty-they have to prove that it's your fault.

unfortunately in a court of law this is not the case, it is the owner to prove he hasnt done something that may have caused premature failure of a component if the dealer believes it maybe related, its a catch 22 for the owner

BearGUST
20th October 2012, 10:49 PM
As I say, I've worked in the Automotive industry for 15 years. My experience is definitely the other way.

Maxhead
21st October 2012, 07:47 AM
unfortunately in a court of law this is not the case, it is the owner to prove he hasnt done something that may have caused premature failure of a component if the dealer believes it maybe related, its a catch 22 for the owner

sorry but I disagree there mate. why would the owner have to prove anything. if nissan is blaming something on a mod they have to prove it is causing the issue

mudski
21st October 2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed, they would have to justify why the cracked head was caused by the hidden glove box mod...Lol.

threedogs
21st October 2012, 12:53 PM
And 10/10 times Nissan will win dragging you back to court, he with the most money wins.
Nissan would want only Nissan approved gear on their 4x4 and rightly so, but sorry Mr Nissan
its not a perfect world

Ronin
21st October 2012, 09:58 PM
I was googling for some scenarios and came across this thread on another forum.. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1857341

in short, guy takes his audi for service, dealer says the sump plug has been cross-threaded. All pervious services had been done at audi dealerships. Still audi washed their hands off the issue. Guy takes it to the courts but the courts says audi not at fault.

So if dealerships can get away from their own crap , then I got no chance of getting any warranty claim cos I used non nissan seat covers... :)

Greengu98
22nd October 2012, 10:13 AM
i brought a scotts rods Dump pipe, then had a 3" madrel system made up else where and Love the sound! no mufflers in mine

Greengu98
22nd October 2012, 10:16 AM
sorry should mention some costs.. $150 for the dump, ( on shelf read to pick up ) and i was charged $460 for the dump back 3" madrel system.. I took my old system off at home and fitted the dump (was a noisy drive to shop LOL :P but that may have saved an hour labour cost

Lonicus
22nd October 2012, 11:38 AM
I was googling for some scenarios and came across this thread on another forum.. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1857341

in short, guy takes his audi for service, dealer says the sump plug has been cross-threaded. All pervious services had been done at audi dealerships. Still audi washed their hands off the issue. Guy takes it to the courts but the courts says audi not at fault.

So if dealerships can get away from their own crap , then I got no chance of getting any warranty claim cos I used non nissan seat covers... :)

There was actually a lot more to that story.

The owner couldn't say, with 100% certainty, where the car had been serviced as he bought it second hand, nor could he say when the sump plug was stripped as he'd never had reason to inspect it and there were no tell-tale signs, like leaks.

Audi could have handled the situation a bit better but apparently the guy went in with all guns blazing and started the Whirlpool thread before there was any chance of an amicable outcome.

I followed the story at the time as I had an Audi before the Patrol and I used the dealership involved in the saga for services on my car.

snag86
23rd October 2012, 12:08 AM
Hey guys,
Been watching this thread with a bit of interest i don't yet own a patrol but purchasing a second hand one is in the pipeline and there a few things i want to do, exhaust is on my shortlist (after a few other bits and pieces of NADS), i was told that the taipan vortex exhaust was meant to be pretty good although from what i can see maybe a bit pricey, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these systems?

bnicklin
4th November 2012, 03:23 PM
Im super happy with the beaudesert exhaust i bought the other day, There customer service was awesome and shipping times where great, Fitted straight up know worries. 3" for td42t

Drew
4th November 2012, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking about the beaudesert exhaust but then read about the 3" exhaust. Seeing we're touring/towing mostly which size would be best or is there bugger all diff

snewin
4th November 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking about the beaudesert exhaust but then read about the 3" exhaust. Seeing we're touring/towing mostly which size would be best or is there bugger all diff

Either 2.75" or 3" for your 3.0L do your research & make up tour own mind. Beaudesert do both so do most places.

Stainless steel or aluminised steel again your choice. Some say stainless last longer, some say oily diesel exhaust will protect aluminised steel so don't bother going stainless.

Some go illegal with no mufflers & cat's or you can go legal with high flow.

It's just like most things there's a load of options. Whichever way you go it'll be a great lung opener for your ride.

scotty83
4th November 2012, 04:10 PM
I wish I had spent the extra and bought the beaudesert one. 3in seems a little large for this motor now I have one. Nicer note from the beaudsert

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Maxhead
4th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Either 2.75" or 3" for your 3.0L . Beaudesert do both so do most places.

I think you'll find Beaudesert only do the 2.75 for the 3l. Too many overboost issues with the 3" so they went a fraction smaller

Maxhead
4th November 2012, 04:21 PM

I went with the Beaudesert for towing reasons and couldn't be happier. The increase in torque down low is amazing. You wont be disapointed. I can't comment on other brands as never had any others.
I tow a 2.7T van and the Troll does it with ease.

snewin
4th November 2012, 04:21 PM
Oh sorry going on old info I stand corrected.

Maxhead
4th November 2012, 04:25 PM
Oh sorry going on old info I stand corrected.

Yeah, I think originally the started off with a 3" but wend down to 2.75 as they had too many over boost problems... This is what the bloke on the phone told me anyway.

They sound pretty good to :)...LOL

Ronin
6th November 2012, 12:58 PM
I ordered a bluetooth OBDII reader to go along with the software on my android phone. It should be able to pull up all the info from the engine. The only bit missing would be EGT... Alltogether about $30.

threedogs
6th November 2012, 03:22 PM
I went 3" from turbo back but as I have heaps of hindsight, if this was around at the time I'd have it in my truck in a heart beat.
Great choice look forward to you thoughts

Bluecrab
19th December 2013, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure how a s/s pipe sounds better than a steel pipe? Thought most people use s/s for looks and anti corrosion properties

s/s can handle high temps better, mild steel eventually crystalizes as I found out.
I went s/s Advance headers, 2-5" Redback extreme duty zorst on my 4.5 petrol.
Torque to tow, power to burn, sounds great!

05GUSTS
19th December 2013, 08:34 AM
Another fan of Beaudesert. Recently replaced stock exhaust on my 05 4.2 with 3" system (and dump pipe). Packaged well for delivery, very easy to fit - 3hrs including removing old system - and effect noticeable straight away, sounds good too even with single muffler. Had one on my old turbo'd GQ 4.2 and was the first mod done this time around. From memory it was $950 delivered.

mudski
19th December 2013, 01:17 PM
3inch Redback here....

threedogs
19th December 2013, 01:31 PM
From all the threads on exhausts it appears the 2.75" Beaudesert job is a perfect match for the Cr 3 ltr, as boost is better controlled by the ECU
As for the 3" it's perfect for the Di 3 ltr with a Dawes valve controlling your boost