PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery setup

Nisspetro
7th November 2010, 09:14 PM
Hi members,
Can anyone assist in wiring directions to instal a second battery. I would like to locate the aux. battery in the caravan. I have a electronic battery isolator installed running to an anderson plug

YNOT
7th November 2010, 09:36 PM
If you're buying a new isolator it will come with specific instructions for the wiring.
Most (but not all) isolators will have 3 main connections and will require you to move or modify the wire going to your main battery positive terminal.
Terminal 1; Alternator
Terminal 2; Main battery
Terminal 3; Auxiliary battery.
(The isolator will be clearly marked for what terminal goes to where and may not be in the order shown above)

Normally your alternator is connected directly to the main battery positive terminal, this will need to be moved/modified to give the isolator control of where the charge goes.

In your case the wire going to the auxiliary terminal will be the wire that runs down to the back of the car into the positive side of the Anderson plug. Negative side of the plug goes to chassis.

Tony

Nisspetro
7th November 2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks Tony, I didn't relise it was that easy. So all I have too do is connect the postive from the anderson plug to the postive terminal of my aux battery,

YNOT
7th November 2010, 11:25 PM
Correct, and negative to negative obviously.

Tony