PDA

View Full Version : 2" suspension lift question

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 12:39 AM
Hey I have an old man emu 2" lift if I wanted to get say a set of 3 or 4" springs could I use the same shocks?

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2012, 12:54 AM
yes but they would be too short for best setup. They would limit your drown travel or Droop and therefore compromise your flex. So whats the point??

Also you need a heap more things when going to a 3 or 4 inch lift! Each inch needs more stuff beyond 2inch mate. When the time comes sell teh 2" kit as a kit and buy a full kit to suit you new height.

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 01:16 AM
Ok so, so I've been reading the posts on here any I'm still kinda on the fence as to whether to go 4" lift or 2" with 2" body ultimately my goal is to have 35's underneath so prob should hold out for 4" kit you reckon?

makeitfit
12th October 2012, 01:22 AM
It's considerably cheaper and easier to +2 and +2 in my opinion. I'm new to the Trol but it's pretty damn good so far on my 35s

macca86
12th October 2012, 07:17 AM
35's look great and go well off road but you may gave trouble with police. Same if you go any higher than 2 inch lift. 4 inch suspension lifts are expensive too. Id look at getting longer shocks coil relocators so under full flex when they drop out they come back and id get an auto locker up front it'll get you further than 35's plus some good 33' tyres just a thought

makeitfit
12th October 2012, 08:17 AM
Reading between the lines here, but is it illegal in Aus to have 35s then ?

macca86
12th October 2012, 08:19 AM
From what I've read for on road use you can't go bigger than 2 inches above factory size

makeitfit
12th October 2012, 08:40 AM
ooph, bum deal. No such issues here :) thankfully , got a few mates on 37s and there's loads of comp trucks bigger . Icelandic trucks often run 44s and there's some of those knocking around UK roads too.

taslucas
12th October 2012, 09:04 AM
ooph, bum deal. No such issues here :) thankfully , got a few mates on 37s and there's loads of comp trucks bigger . Icelandic trucks often run 44s and there's some of those knocking around UK roads too.

I could nearly put up with the people just to be able to run 44s on road...... Nearly

Tap, crackle, pop

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 09:37 AM
I could nearly put up with the people just to be able to run 44s on road...... Nearly

Tap, crackle, pop

Lol yh I know 35's are illegal but cops don't really bug guys for that where I am they are more interested in the silly buggers in boosters and commodores......... Man that was me 5 years ago lol

taslucas
12th October 2012, 10:24 AM
Hey mate just watch the f-bombs.
Family forum and all that.
Pm sent.

No harm done, just gotta keep it G rated:-)

Tap, crackle, pop

BigRAWesty
12th October 2012, 12:20 PM
IMO and after doing research 2" lift is all you really need for 33" tyres, or 3" for 35" tyres.

The trick is to get longer shocks to improve flex. And with some simple bump stop extensions, drop out cones and spring retainers you'll have one flexing bus...

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 10:39 PM
Really sorry bout the language guys won't happen again :)

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 10:42 PM
See I have a 2" lift now and 33's and I get an occasional scrub in the back if I'm carrying a heavy load I need to work out what to do :/

macca86
12th October 2012, 10:46 PM
Wrong rate springs maybe you shouldn't scrub with 2inch of lift

The Phat Patroller
14th October 2012, 11:46 PM
It's rubbing on one side (the left) at the rear cause the space between the tyre and the front of the guard is not the same on both sides, which indicates that my rear diff is not straight any thoughts?

MudRunnerTD
14th October 2012, 11:52 PM
It's rubbing on one side (the left) at the rear cause the space between the tyre and the front of the guard is not the same on both sides, which indicates that my rear diff is not straight any thoughts?

Something is Bent on the side that is close to the guard!!! It Will be easy to spot. Get on you belly and have a look under! Either your Lower or Upper Trailing arm is bent. Most likely your lower and you can near see that standing up.

makeitfit
15th October 2012, 08:51 AM
Erm wont that be due to the panhard rod being in it's std position ? You've lifted 2" so effectively the panhard needs to be a bit longer now , otherwise your axle is off to one side slightly. Therefore scuffing the tyre on one side :)
I think.

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2012, 10:12 AM
Erm wont that be due to the panhard rod being in it's std position ? You've lifted 2" so effectively the panhard needs to be a bit longer now , otherwise your axle is off to one side slightly. Therefore scuffing the tyre on one side :)
I think.

not if his description is correct. He says that the space between the Tyre and the Front of the guard is not the same and i read that to mean that one of the tyres sits forward and the other sits back and the alignment is all out of whack???

If the Phat Patroller is talking about the outer edge of the guards and the tyres either sticking out past or set into the guard then the Panards may need to be altered? If the tyres are sitting forward and backwards in the guards then you got other issues!!

So confirming,

A:- If you are standing 3m away from your car looking straight at the side of your car and your back wheel sits into the guard space different on each side then you have dramas.

B:- If you are close to your car and looking along the side from the front to the back and the wheels stick out on 1 side and inside the guards on the other then your Panards are out slightly (20mm difference maybe) and you should not be that concerned on a 2" lift.

threedogs
15th October 2012, 10:41 AM
Boy, long distance/blind diagnosis is the pits. 2" lift, 33" tyres, front locker will get you most places except front row of the grid at Tuff Truck.
KISS , all the above will give you a great 4x4 for touring or more knarly tracks. leave the 4" and 35" stuff for the weekend 4x4s.
IMO, the more you modify the more can wrong/break.

BigRAWesty
15th October 2012, 11:20 AM
Makeitfit and mudrunner both have the right corrective action for 2 different issues.
If the op could clarify where it's rubbing with a pic we can suggest a fix

Cheers from Westy

Westy's Accessories.

threedogs
15th October 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm tipping its rubbing at the back on inside/centre side. What tyre size and rim off-set do you run if known.?

The Phat Patroller
15th October 2012, 02:42 PM
not if his description is correct. He says that the space between the Tyre and the Front of the guard is not the same and i read that to mean that one of the tyres sits forward and the other sits back and the alignment is all out of whack???

If the Phat Patroller is talking about the outer edge of the guards and the tyres either sticking out past or set into the guard then the Panards may need to be altered? If the tyres are sitting forward and backwards in the guards then you got other issues!!

So confirming,

A:- If you are standing 3m away from your car looking straight at the side of your car and your back wheel sits into the guard space different on each side then you have dramas.

B:- If you are close to your car and looking along the side from the front to the back and the wheels stick out on 1 side and inside the guards on the other then your Panards are out slightly (20mm difference maybe) and you should not be that concerned on a 2" lift.

Arrgghhh its option A.... any ideas where to start?

The Phat Patroller
15th October 2012, 02:45 PM
Its the front side of the guard, right on the outer edge of the flair it only scrubs when i hit a large bump at speed but nether the less its still out of whack which sucks, ill take some photos when i can and post them ASAP

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Get the tape measure out mate and measure the distance between the tyres on each side. doesn't really matter where you measure from as long as its the same spot on each side. Centre of hub to centre of axle would be a winner but inside of tread to inside of tread at centre height of tyre will be fine too.

Something must be bent mate, I am tipping your Lower Trailing arm! one side only.

The Phat Patroller
22nd October 2012, 11:21 PM
Ok so gents so sorry for delayed reply have been very busy of late, it seems to be a bent trailing arm, but I have removed the factory flares and replaced with the rubber guard by the metre so band aid fix for now.......

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:23 PM
Upper or Lower?

GQ or GU?

Where are you in Australia?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:27 PM
Ok so gents so sorry for delayed reply have been very busy of late, it seems to be a bent trailing arm, but I have removed the factory flares and replaced with the rubber guard by the metre so band aid fix for now.......

Sorry not really even a Bandaid fix mate. the problem with a Bent lower trailing arm is they are fairly weak once they have bent. That arm may now at any time just fold up under engine torque. and then you will be is trouble. Dont go offroad in that state! if its bad enough for you to notice then its bad enough to worry.

Robo
23rd October 2012, 03:36 PM
Would of thought if it's a bent arm.
If rubbing one side it would rub both sides?.
Leading edge one side of diff and trailing the other end of diff.
Or am I wrong?.
"Just tryn to self diagnose better myself if the need arises".
cheers