PDA

View Full Version : Good Day Mates from California

Napo
7th November 2010, 06:07 PM
I have just joined and have a problem with my 1979 KGL60 and hope your mates have a understanding and solution that won't involve replacing the whole drive train.
I can not engage the front wheel drive anymore and not sure if it is because of a faulty transfer case, linkage or clutch problem?? Clutch works fine for 2-wheel rear drive. Looking forward to your response. Thanks, Napolean

YNOT
7th November 2010, 06:17 PM
If your clutch is working OK in 2 wheel drive then it's unlikely to be the problem.
When you try to engage 4WD does the transfer lever move to the correct position? If the lever is not moving to the correct position then try disconnecting the linkage at the transfer case. If the linkage and lever then moves freely it would suggest the problem is internal in the transfer case.

Tony

Napo
8th November 2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the really quick reply yesterday. I logged off right after posting, thinking it was going to take a lot longer to get a reply. I will try what you said, disc'ing the linkage. Before I do that, I'll see if I can get it to engage the front while it's up on jacks. My fear is, if it is an internal problem in the transfer case, that I won't be able to find a replacement. Got any sources down there for service/repair manuals for vintage models? The only thing I can find here is Chiltons.

YNOT
8th November 2010, 06:42 PM
Here in OZ most people who own Y60's either buy or have already a complete second car for spares, it's the cheapest way to get second hand parts for them.
Can't help with the manuals sorry.

Tony

gf0012-aust
20th November 2010, 04:19 PM
Here in OZ most people who own Y60's either buy or have already a complete second car for spares

hasn't the other OP got a G60? If that's the case then spares are going to be even harder...

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 11:44 PM
welcome aboard mate hope someone here can help