PDA

View Full Version : Auto fluid

lhurley
11th October 2012, 06:43 PM
I have a 99 4.5 dual fuel in auto, about 250ks on the clock.

I am wanting to do an oil change for the auto.

Is it as simple as dropping the oil, changing the filter and filling it back up?

If so what's the best oil and filter for an auto that's getting on a bit?

Also does it have a set amount of oil (same as engine oil) or just fill until the reservoir is full?

Thanks in advance
Lachlan

threedogs
11th October 2012, 06:46 PM
Filter I would always use Nissan, check search engine for what ATF you require

twisty
11th October 2012, 08:03 PM
Go Castrol Transmax Z. Yeah, there is a set amount of fluid, Don't remember how much, sorry. Filter and pan description here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging&p=182132&viewfull=1#post182132).

Bagheera
14th October 2012, 09:28 PM
+1 for the Transmax Z. Made a huge difference to my auto behind the ZD30.

I just drained, popped in & out of drive a couple of times (pumps out a bit more fluid) then refilled. Mine took ~4.5L, but not sure if yours is different.

lhurley
15th October 2012, 04:03 PM
I just drained, popped in & out of drive a couple of times (pumps out a bit more fluid) then refilled. Mine took ~4.5L, but not sure if yours is different.

i dont see why they would have different autos for different engines.

When you where putting it in gear did you have the car running?
Did you also do a lap around the block then check the level or should it be fine?

NissanGQ4.2
15th October 2012, 04:49 PM
Not sure on Oil capacity on the Gu Box,

From memory 2 check the oil level, Warm engine up, with engine running run throw gears a few times then re-check level.

To change the filter you will have to drop the pan, well thats how it is done on the GQ box so assume would be the same.

I would recommend welcoming in a few new members and downloading the manual, Everything you will need 2 know 2 change the gearbox oil will be in there except the best oil 2 use.

Cheers

Todd

twisty
16th October 2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure on Oil capacity on the Gu Box,

I would recommend welcoming in a few new members and downloading the manual, Everything you will need 2 know 2 change the gearbox oil will be in there except the best oil 2 use.

Okay ... so I went and looked it up, 8.5l capacity and Nissan recommend ... wait for it ... Nissan fluid (Matic "D"). btw, auto info isn't in the Patrol manual, it's in the RE4R01A pdf.

lhurley
16th October 2012, 03:49 PM
Cheers guys. i will have to make some time and go and do it now.