PDA

View Full Version : Market direct campers

dumpy
9th October 2012, 10:33 PM
I have been looking at the market direct camper trailers on the web, they look like really good value for money. Has anyone got one of these or had any experience with them.i haven't had any feedback on what type of quality they are. Any imput would be great.

Airstrike
10th October 2012, 12:37 AM
At the EKKA (QLD show) I was looking at them. I merely pushed on the checker plating and bent the side of their main camper, needless to say I scooted off as fast as I could to the first van of deep fried death after and wached to see if I was seen lol mmmmmmm dagwood dogs. I know 2 guys who have them. One is welded just ok an the other needed most of it rewelded. Yes they did this under waranty but took them 3 weeks...

my third 256
10th October 2012, 06:13 AM
you only get what you pay for so be carefull out there as many a person will try to part you from your hard earned cash
best to go quality i know it costs a little more but in the long run it works out better

The BigFella
10th October 2012, 07:10 AM
I have transported a couple of different makes from China, and although they are cheap I dont feel they represent good value for dollar.
I would advise to look second hand, can get some great deals and most are Aussie built.

Maxhead
10th October 2012, 08:12 AM
I had a cheap Chinese made camper and it was great for the money but I dont think it would last 5 years. (this will depend where you take it)
Just be carefull of the bolt on versions where the draw bar is bolted to the box. These are basically a flat pack trailer to save shipping costs. Look for weld on jobs and make sure the welds are good. They will only use cheap leaf springs and shocks but they can be upgraded later on if needed.
Make sure the box is solid, dust proof, water proof, straight, etc and you'll be fine.

good luck

dumpy
10th October 2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, will give them a wide berth sounds cheap and nasty.

Steve4wdin
11th October 2012, 07:04 PM
It depands on your budjet. If you can afford 10K than try Lifestyle campers. They are made in Brisbane. I have one and they are really well built. What ever brand you choose, do a google search on them. Very quickly you will find out any issues. Good Luck

Franki
9th November 2012, 08:13 PM
I've got the Step through version- the largest of the range. Trailers are made at the factory at Cooper plains,Brisbane with the tent being imported from china or somewhere over there. I remember looking at them a couple of years back with the old range they had and boy they were Sh*t but since with all the complaints and lack of sales I'm guessing they took on board customer feed back. The one I purchased isn't bad for the money I spent with the extra I added for comfort. Build quality is a lot higher than what I thought. I did have an issue with the canvas tent when I first brought it home finding 3 small holes which I then went back quick smart they checked it out and decided to replace the tent. At the same time for the drama's of coming back they gave me an extra gas bottle holder, storm tent cover and extra 12volt sockets x2 on the trailer. The other is the rear door is that to lock it has 2 turn nobs which you have to screw in until tight which I'll be changing that to some sort of hasp and staple, I find the nobs to be a pain in the butt. Got it registered with no drama's ( was a problem with the older range ppl having trouble with the hitch not complying to standard - don't quote me)
Well that's my view of let me know if you want more info, happy to help.

Franki
9th November 2012, 08:20 PM
Also for got to mention that a set up dvd comes with the trailer and fire extinguisher needed for registering trailer.

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 08:37 PM
From what I've seen give the cheap Chinese stuff a wide birth...

I mean what do you want in a camper?? Drop $50,000+ into a Kimberly and have all the bells and whistles if you like..

IMO one of the best value for money campers is built by a SA company called Spirit Campers.. And my old bought one.
There frame design threw the roof is brilliant. A billion times better than the cheap Chinese one the inlaws just bought..
Heavy canvas, wheel and tyre combos to suit your needs and vehicles..
And can have a fully kitted camper for sub $10,000 on road..
I'm having trouble finding there website ATM, but there is one of there mid ranged campers on gumtree ATM..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

big_fletch
9th November 2012, 10:13 PM
Personally when i get a Camper i will be probably getting a Full off road GIC camper in a base model. From then i will upgrade the springs and add all the stuff i want to it, just using there trailer and tent as a starting point

GIC (http://giccampertrailers.com.au/extreme-off-road-camper-trailers/)

Fletcha

Franki
11th November 2012, 10:43 PM
I guess it comes down to personal preference and budget. I'm pretty happy with what I got but others might disagree, there's so many brands out there to choose from so good luck with it.

Cheers

Dr Gary
19th November 2012, 02:26 PM
I have a Market Direct camper and had a couple of issues but nothing substantial. I replaced taps and water pipes, installed a stone guard under the water pump and tank, added two electrical outlets and had to have the brake drums machined--they work better when round :-)) I also replaced the stone guard with rubber shield.
Since then we waded through the 2010 Birdsville floods, climbed really rough farm tracks and a trip to Cooper Creek (Windorah) So far zero issues.
The annex is a bear to erect--takes two people--but works great Cover keeps dust and water out while on the road.
Mine is galvanised and alloy tool box. For what I paid it is good value..

Watchdog
27th March 2013, 02:40 AM
i have a MDC camper, i love it, definately a good piece i bought, no problems as yet

dumpy
21st August 2013, 06:29 PM
have just purchased a second hand castaway camper, now just waiting on fitting it out how i want it and away i go. australian made which is also great.

mudski
14th September 2013, 12:19 AM
I just bought the MDC Step Through last week. I have been reading up on campers for about a year and looking at campers for probably most of this year now, seen quite a few second handy's, looked at GIC, EzyTrail and MDC, here in northern melbourne. I am aware of the dodgy builds, I saw a couple last year but I do think most have picked up their game. The Ezytrail I didn't like straight off. Apart from the build the sales guys just didn't give a rats and really didn't try hard to make a sale. In the end the owner of the MDC store here was nice enough to trick me into handing over my hard earned but its go more than I wanted and I'm almost happy with my purchase. I really wanted to get a hard floor camper but they have less storage space and smaller tents. Prolly good if I didn't have kids but looking forward to taking delivery of the new camper in the end of October.
I also see the Supercheap Group are exclusively selling two MDC models aswell. And if you buy through Ray's( and maybe the other SC stores) they give you a 10% in store credit of the purchase price of your trailer. I was spewing they don't sell the one I wanted though.

megatexture
14th September 2013, 07:42 AM
A mate bought mdc, it seemed ok from first look but time will tell .
One thing that surprised me was the weight of the draw bar one person can't lift it !

I'm not sure if mdc and gic campers are one in the same ones made in aus and ones imported..?