PDA

View Full Version : GU Wheel Bearing Servicing

9th October 2012, 09:06 PM
I have just completed the 40K service on my GU7 Patrol. I will post some pictures of the wheel bearing servicing as soon as I can work out how to up load the photos. (Just worked it out, pics to come).

Steve.

9th October 2012, 10:51 PM
Front axle supported by two axle stands.

Remove wheel, then place auto-lock free-running hub in “Lock”. Using an 8mm allen key remove the 6 bolts and remove hub assy.

Remove the front disc brake by removing the two 22mm Torque member fixing bolts. I have a spanner on the top bolt here but needed a breaker bar to loosen them.

Tie up the disc brake assy out of the way.

Remove the snap ring, spindle washer and thrust ring. Then remove the two screws from the lock washer then remove the lock washer.

Remove the wheel bearing lock nut.

The wheel hub is now free to come off. Be careful not to drop the outer bearing (not shown here). Next turn over the wheel hub and remove the grease seal using a flat blade screwdriver. The inner bearing can now be removed.

I cleaned the bearings in some turps.

Markings on the bearings as follows:

Outer Bearing: Japan TR13 LM501349 NSK

Inner Bearing: Japan T NSK HR3311oJa1

Next re pack bearings with grease.

You will have to replace the dust seals as they are damaged during the removal process. Part No: 40227.

In this picture the inner bearing is in place, the new dust seal is in position and the old dust seal is turned upside down and placed on top of the new dust seal. Tap the old dust seal with a hammer until the new dust seal is home.

New dust seals come as a pair.

Clean and butter lub the knuckle spindle and drive shaft.

Now you are ready to install.

I bought a hub nut socket so that I could use the preload torque to seat the bearings. Then backed it off for the final torque. Then placed the lock washer on and using a scriber moved the lock nut to line up the holes in the lock washer before fitting the two screws.

Ensure the wheel can rotate freely. After a short drive feel the auto lock hubs and ensure they are warm but not hot.

Job done.

9th October 2012, 11:01 PM
More pics, I will have to work out how to align the pics with the text!

Lieney
10th October 2012, 10:13 PM
Nice pics and great detail
Nice hub-nut spanner.
I could have used that one when I did mine.
Improvise and adapt

11th October 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi Lieney,

You can buy the hub nut socket from http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/GU-Hub-Nut-Socket-12-drive.html

They also sell bearing kits too.

street76
16th August 2013, 02:33 PM
Hey 5.11, recently changed a front wheel bearing but could only push the rear race/cup to the point where the machining stopped and the surface became rough. Is that right or should it go all the wat to the lip over the rough surface?