PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Emu Suspension System any Good?

rowlund
7th October 2012, 08:26 PM
G'day to All!

I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience in installing an Old Man Emu Suspension System? I had been advised by a friend that this would be a nice upgrade for my GU patrol. I figured that some of you guys may have undergone this upgrade already. I just wanted to to get your thoughts on the matter as upgrading would cost some handsome coin and I would want to avoid regrets later.

MudRunnerTD
7th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Hands Down THE BEST off the shelf Australian Made Suspension to fit to your GU! Simply Awesome!

Nuff Said ;)

hekarewe
7th October 2012, 08:46 PM
i have old man emu suspension in my 03 GU,,,,, first up grade i did to it with in a few weeks of the purchase of the patrol in a nut shell it was the best thing i did to it. but you need to decide what your going to use the patrol for and then look at your suspension accordingly. my is set for off road touring with a heavy camper trailer and rides very firm when empty on the black top also has bugger all body roll because of it if you want to set up for more hard core driving and play then old man emu may not be what you need so think about what you want to use your vehicle for first then research your suspension opions

rowlund
7th October 2012, 09:26 PM
My friend said that the old man emus would improve the ride quality, making the ride less harsh. My GU patrol is used for city driving, it rides, well, I would say as it should since it's not a sedan. If the old man emus can make my ride less harsh though, it would be a welcome improvement. Does this mean that there are different kinds of old man emu suspension? for off road and for city?

Clunk
7th October 2012, 09:45 PM
Quite a few different spring ratings from soft to extra heavy duty. Soft will make your ride nice and soft well as soft as having live front and rear axles will let you, also will wallow round the corners......... Heavy duty will make the ride nice and stiff but the ride will be harsh.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

MudRunnerTD
7th October 2012, 09:56 PM
Your ARB dealer will be able to recommend your OME setup based on your car, the weight you carry and the intended use. There will be No Regrets mate.

BigRAWesty
7th October 2012, 10:29 PM
IMO simply not the best.. If I was to do my 2" lift again I would go OME HD springs, but not the shocks. There way to stiff and you feel every pebble even running 15psi in my tyres..
They do a comfort shock which is better I've been told.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 10:20 AM
OME all the way mate I have punished a set of OME shocks in my GQ mate and I do mean mean punished they get used in a way a shock shouldnt and I have been unable to break them. I have an OME 2" in my GU and although the springs are a heavy rating the ride is far from harsh. It is better with load on it but I cannot fault it. Well worth the extra dollars OME is a well built product and is one of the few things these days that you can just fit and forget and enjoy driving.

Jol
12th October 2012, 06:02 PM
Yup. Bilstiens seem to be regarded as the best but also pretty exy. I run OME and have gone straight from mine to a mate stock GUVI. Definitely stiffer but also way more comfortable (my mate with stock susp agrees so it must be true).

mudski
13th October 2012, 01:20 PM
The worst part of OME suspension is who sells it. I have it in mine, is good I suppose but I can't compare it as I don't know what other setups are like. Mine is due for new springs as its lost 20mm in height since the instal about 7 years ago. I dare to think what ARB will rip me for that... Either that or I will chuck in some spacers. I can't be left without a car so I can't remove them to get the springs reset...

MEGOMONSTER
16th October 2012, 08:54 PM
You'll find that most guys have a OME lift or had one or knows someone who's had one or got one. I am yet to lift mine, and just cannot decide which way to go.
OME is probably what I'll end up doing. Like someone told me on here, they have outlets throughout Australia for any warranty claim on their gear.

Jack taps here...........