PDA

View Full Version : Inverter 12vDC to 240v AC How to setup and use?

monty
7th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Hi all,
Just bought a 12v 150w inverter mainly for charging camera battery (that sort of thing). Anyway it is a Powertech M1-5102 unit number. Comes with a plug (already hardwired in to the unit) that goes into the cigar lighter. I'm confused because instruction book says "GROUNDING...if inverter is to be used in vehicle...powered by cigarette lighter socket, the earth terminal should be connected via a short link to....the negative DC input terminal on the inverter". The earth terminal is a fitting on the case with a wing nut. Does that mean they expect one to open the case and dick around inside? Why not just connect to chassis earth? Any sparky out there care to enlighten me? Will there be trouble if I don't earth it at all? According to the manual the alternative is to drive a metal earthing stake into the ground 1.2m minimum. Hmmm interesting on the move.
Thanks

MEGOMONSTER
7th October 2012, 09:12 PM
Hi all,
Just bought a 12v 150w inverter mainly for charging camera battery (that sort of thing)

Being 150w inverter, just make sure what ever your plugging into it uses less than that.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

twase
7th October 2012, 09:46 PM
240V is potentially lethal, you should follow the instructions and earth the case to the chassis and not rely on the Cigar lighter's earth. I am sure the maker is not asking you to open it up to do that. Just run a cable from that wing nut to the chassis of the car. If you are using the 240V directly to outside the car (obviously when parked) then as recomended you should use an earth stake as well.

the evil twin
8th October 2012, 01:08 AM
An entire doctorate can be written on earthing and 99% would be above my feeble pea brain level but essentially "Portable" inverters are protected by isolation as opposed to building electricals and earth stakes etc that use earth mass. This means you do not need an ELCB

Body earths can be a problem in modern vehicles (just look at the earthing issues Patrols have with sub tank computers etc.) so make sure you have a good one. On that note if you are using double insulated devices such as phone/camera/lappy rechargers etc IE anything without an earth pin on the 240 Volt socket then the earth link they mention is irrelevant anyway.

monty
8th October 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for replies. My GQ diesel doesn't have computers etc so ok there. As for use it is only for camera battery recharger which requires 0.2A so heaps of safety there, and it doesn't have earth pin either. So should be ok to use without earthing at all. I reckon if anything else pops up to use it for I'll connect to chassis earth. I feel more confident with it now. Didn't want to light the night sky with beams from my eyes!! Thanks heaps.