PDA

View Full Version : Will turning off one A/C save fuel on a 4.5 petrol Patrol?

rowlund
7th October 2012, 12:30 PM
G'day All!

I just recently bought a 2002 petrol 4.5liter GU Patrol. It's a sweet ride and I had expected it to consume a good amount of petrol given the size of the engine before I bought it. I was just curious if turning off one A/C (airconditioner), the one at the back specifically would save me some fuel? It's mostly just me anyway that drives the thing and no need for the A/C at the back and things are pretty cool with just the A/C upfront. Just thought about it really since every little bit I could do to save me a trip to the pump would be most welcome. Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

mudski
7th October 2012, 12:33 PM
Yes it will but how much only you can determine. Best to run some tests. If you do a regular trip, do it with the a/c on the whole way, with a full tank, then do it again with the a/c off and a full tank. After each trip record how many litres you need to put back into the tank to full. This should give you a rough guestimate...

threedogs
7th October 2012, 12:46 PM
Really more to do with your driving style, thirsty as the petrol is drive as smoothly as possiblr and keep the revs down.
Check search engine for fuel consumption to compare your figures, anything around 20 would make me happy I think
Need a few Petrol members to confess to their fuel figures

rowlund
7th October 2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm usually gentle on the throttle from take off and basically glide to get the patrol to speed. This keeps the revs down instead of stomping on the pedal from a stoplight. I hope this helps me save a little bit more on the petrol. I swear, everytime I pull up at a local petrol station with my patrol, they seem so happy to see me and fill up this thirsty vehicle.

Alitis007
7th October 2012, 01:55 PM
With the A/C in the rear, it doesnt turn on unless you turn on the switch on the back of the center console so that normally doesn't get used. As far as fuel consumption, start by mesuring 2 tanks of fuel from the same servo then give your motor a service and static tune ( air, fuel and spark plugs) mesure another 2 tanks of fuel then check the vavle timing and check and adjust the tps and idle speed. I managed to improve my 4.5's economy from 4.1km/L to 6.8km/L useing 98 octane, that works for me but every car is as different as the people that drive them depending on accesories like wheels, height, roof racks and and just about any other accesorie you can think of.

mudski
7th October 2012, 02:06 PM
I swear, everytime I pull up at a local petrol station with my patrol, they seem so happy to see me and fill up this thirsty vehicle.
I know how you feel. My Dmax I had was around $80 to fill and would get around 650-700k's of city driving. Now with this lil' thirsty 3ltr. Its $120 to fill it for slightly less k's.
I gotta take the good with the bad though...

Alitis007
7th October 2012, 02:10 PM
I know how you feel. My Dmax I had was around $80 to fill and would get around 650-700k's of city driving. Now with this lil' thirsty 3ltr. Its $120 to fill it for slightly less k's.
I gotta take the good with the bad though...

Bud, it cost's me $180.00 to fill for 650 - 700 km of driving !! And i thoought my rotary was thirsty lol

twisty
7th October 2012, 02:15 PM

Dyno tuned, tappets adjusted, regular professional service, standard mixer lpg, 30l/100km town. yup ... they are a thirsty engine.

Yendor
7th October 2012, 02:27 PM
Running the rear A/C should not cause it to use anymore fuel, it is a slave system to the front A/C system.

The rear A/C system does not turn the A/C compressor on or off, this is done by the front A/C system.

Clunk
7th October 2012, 04:14 PM
I've got a GQ 4.2 petty, get about 18-20l/100ks irrespective of whether ac is on or off....... Thirsty buggahs yes but I didn't buy it coz it was frugal lol

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Bob
8th October 2012, 07:48 AM
Really more to do with your driving style, thirsty as the petrol is drive as smoothly as possiblr and keep the revs down.
Check search engine for fuel consumption to compare your figures, anything around 20 would make me happy I think

My Fuel usuage for a 98 4.5L Gu is

Highway Cruising :
16Litres per 100K's on Petrol
18Litres per 100K's LPG
22Litres per 100K's LPG pulling a Jayco Dove

Around Town:
22 Litres per 100K's Petrol
25Litres per 100K's LPG

My Car is Stock Standard

Keep it well Tuned

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 11:26 AM
My Fuel usuage for a 98 4.5L Gu is

Highway Cruising :
16Litres per 100K's on Petrol
18Litres per 100K's LPG
22Litres per 100K's LPG pulling a Jayco Dove

Around Town:
22 Litres per 100K's Petrol
25Litres per 100K's LPG

My Car is Stock Standard

Keep it well Tuned

I was waiting for you to pipe up. Bob gets good figures out of his and I believe would be a great help to you if your looking on what to do to help you improve your economy. Like most petrols thorough servicing good quality oils and filters and a good tuner will see you being able to return figures like bob.

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 11:27 AM
Or a turbo :)