PDA

View Full Version : Interior

lil Rig
7th October 2012, 10:53 AM
So Scotty and I are getting towards the stage of fixing the interior of the ute and I'm just after some tips on what the easiest, cheapest and best looking alternatives are.
Our current idea is to just buy some checker plate rubber flooring from clarkies and use that to cover the front half of the floor plan and then basically get some black marine carpet for the rest. Scott came up with a great idea to use some carbon fibre 'stick on stuff' for the pillars.
Open to any suggestions!
Cheers

Winnie
7th October 2012, 10:56 AM
Seats seats seats! Trust me you'll learnt to hate the Patrol seats.

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

growler2058
7th October 2012, 10:57 AM
Scott came up with a great idea to use some carbon fibre 'stick on stuff' for the pillars.
Open to any suggestions!
Cheers
Nice bit of racing bling
Are you keeping the original chairs??

Sent via my tapping thumbs

threedogs
7th October 2012, 10:59 AM
Bung holes in the floor after you " TAR " the floor fit quick release bung holes, best thing ever, trust me
Even put electronics in tupperware style boxes, to keep dry

lil Rig
7th October 2012, 11:02 AM
Nice bit of racing bling
Are you keeping the original chairs??

Sent via my tapping thumbs

Haha yes I will be. It's got one normal bucket seat and then one two-thirds bench seat thingy. I don't really see any point in purchasing another bucket seat except for being able to have a centre console.

lil Rig
7th October 2012, 11:03 AM
Bung holes in the floor after you " TAR " the floor fit quick release bung holes, best thing ever, trust me
Even put electronics in tupperware style boxes, to keep dry

The hung holes are the large rubber inserts in the floor pan right??

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah there are a few smaller ones in there too. I would use vinyl easier to keep clean and you can remove it and hose it off as well. The seats are certainly on the uncomfortable side but I would save up your coin for this and just put a decent recaro or similar bucket seat just in the drivers side, this will be more comfortable and help to keep you in place offroad.

Roll cage?

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah there are a few smaller ones in there too. I would use vinyl easier to keep clean and you can remove it and hose it off as well. The seats are certainly on the uncomfortable side but I would save up your coin for this and just put a decent recaro or similar bucket seat just in the drivers side, this will be more comfortable and help to keep you in place offroad.

Roll cage?

I'm not quite sure what three dogs means by replacing the bungholes though... So when you say vinyl you mean similar to the original stuff that was in there?? Any idea where I would be able to get some of that? Is there any reason that vinyl would be better than rubber?

The drivers side already has the bucket seat in it I think, there's just a bench seat in the passenger side but I was thinking of saving up for another bucket seat.

I wasn't really thinking of a roll cage for the moment for the simple reason of cost. Because it'll be more of an on road truck then an off road truck (simply because I barely had the money to fix anything I break) I don't really see the necessity of one yet.

Cheers mate :)

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah or just use the rubber carpet is a pain to keep clean, smells if it gets wet and holds onto sand like no tomorrow. Trufit carpets do vinyls for them or like I said just use the rubber you have and that will be fine.

Yeah the seats I were talking about are an upgrade and something to save towards. A lot of people especially in utes just change the drivers seat to a better quality unit. Scotty will be able to tell you about recaro seats and their quality.

Yeah fair enough about the roll cage is just genereally easier with the interior out but was just a suggestion. I get a little excited sometimes lol. Are your door trim all still in tact?

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah or just use the rubber carpet is a pain to keep clean, smells if it gets wet and holds onto sand like no tomorrow. Trufit carpets do vinyls for them or like I said just use the rubber you have and that will be fine.

Yeah the seats I were talking about are an upgrade and something to save towards. A lot of people especially in utes just change the drivers seat to a better quality unit. Scotty will be able to tell you about recaro seats and their quality.

Yeah fair enough about the roll cage is just genereally easier with the interior out but was just a suggestion. I get a little excited sometimes lol. Are your door trim all still in tact?

Ok fair enough, I didn't think of that. So vinyl or rubber for the flooring and do you reakon using the same stuff for the back and roof of the cabin?

Oh yeah now I see what your saying. Yeahp I think Scott has already said something along those lines. Are these seats expensive? I know it's simply a matter of looking them up on the Internet but do you know a ballpark figure?

Haha yeahp I know what you mean, before we started working on the truck I would just spew out ideas without realizing what actually had to be put in place beforehand, it's been such a big learning curve!
Well they weren't, but Scotty went out to some wreckers and got two basically new trims. The only thing wrong with either of the doors is that one of the regulators for the window winder is screwed because the previous owners used dog grips as a window winder -.-

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 02:38 PM
Depends on what you want it to do. For insulation then the best stuff to use would be the dynamat stuff but this may be expensive. As for the roof the stuff in my GQ is vinyl sort of material. Other than that I wouldnt worry to much, if it you want it to look good that stick on carbo fibre look stuff would look nice. The trim on both the GQ's I have here are only really there for show there is no inuslation on the back wall or roof. There is a grey plastic trim on the back wall so you may be able to source one from the wreckers.

For the seats depending on what you like probaby from $800 and then some of the more expensive ones can get to around the 2k mark.

What you are doing is the best way to learn and by far gives you the best understanding of your vehicle and its workings. You are lucky to have someone like scotty and this forum for your help, I know how good it is to have a dad that can help with this stuff and give you advice as well.

Silver
8th October 2012, 03:11 PM
part of the job of the floor liner is to keep heat out.

I had an f100 with a bare floor except for the anti rust coating. Hot and noisy, but easy to keep clean and dry.

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:12 PM
Depends on what you want it to do. For insulation then the best stuff to use would be the dynamat stuff but this may be expensive. As for the roof the stuff in my GQ is vinyl sort of material. Other than that I wouldnt worry to much, if it you want it to look good that stick on carbo fibre look stuff would look nice. The trim on both the GQ's I have here are only really there for show there is no inuslation on the back wall or roof. There is a grey plastic trim on the back wall so you may be able to source one from the wreckers.

For the seats depending on what you like probaby from $800 and then some of the more expensive ones can get to around the 2k mark.

What you are doing is the best way to learn and by far gives you the best understanding of your vehicle and its workings. You are lucky to have someone like scotty and this forum for your help, I know how good it is to have a dad that can help with this stuff and give you advice as well.

Yeah I guess at the moment it's my first car and I'm not expecting it to be insulated so I guess either vinyl or rubber would be the way to go. I was just looking at the website you suggested and it looks like I can get the vinyl flooring for around $110-$150 so that pretty good considering its only a little bit more expensive than rubber but is a lot more workable. Ill definitely have to take a trip to the wreckers and have a look for the trim on the back of the cabin so I guess the only thing left is the roof. Ill probably just end up using vinyl for that too haha

Oh wow ok then yeahp that'll definitely involve some saving up before I can even consider buying one of them! Haha but I will be saving up for one for sure!

Absolutely I can't think him nor everyone else that has provided help wether it be physical or knowledge based. It definitely makes this whole process a sh#t load easier!

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:15 PM
part of the job of the floor liner is to keep heat out.

I had an f100 with a bare floor except for the anti rust coating. Hot and noisy, but easy to keep clean and dry.

That was Scotty's suggestion, just paint the floor and leave it as is due to the simple reason it's easy to keep clean.
The heat factor is a good point though, so now I'm definitely looking at some sort of flooring!!! :)

BigRAWesty
8th October 2012, 03:18 PM
There is a company who do vinyl floors molded to the floor pan on eBay. Very well priced to.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:20 PM
There is a company who do vinyl floors molded to the floor pan on eBay. Very well priced to.

Oh yeah? Awesome, what do you type in to find them?

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah I dont run any sort of floor in my GQ heat isnt to bad but it may be helped by the 2" gap between the body and drivetrain with the body lift. That trufit should do underlays too for a good price I think like 20 odd dollars or something.

Bob
8th October 2012, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah? Awesome, what do you type in to find them?

try this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOULDED-VINYL-FLOOR-NISSAN-PATROL-MQ-GQ-GU-SWB-/360303478638

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 03:22 PM

I have priced through these blokes as well and the price is pretty much the same as trufit. It will just depend who is gonna give you the best service.

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah I dont run any sort of floor in my GQ heat isnt to bad but it may be helped by the 2" gap between the body and drivetrain with the body lift. That trufit should do underlays too for a good price I think like 20 odd dollars or something.

Haha yeah I think the body lift may be a contributing factor :) ill be sure to check that out and give them a ring, thanks for all that Matty :) truly appreciate it!

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:25 PM
try this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOULDED-VINYL-FLOOR-NISSAN-PATROL-MQ-GQ-GU-SWB-/360303478638

Awesome! Cheers Bob!

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:26 PM
I have priced through these blokes as well and the price is pretty much the same as trufit. It will just depend who is gonna give you the best service.

Yeahp absolutely! Ill check out both companies for sure. Did you find that trufit provided better service?

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah I did and shipping was cheaper. But this is just my experience. I have the quotes from both so I can track them down if you like?

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah I did and shipping was cheaper. But this is just my experience. I have the quotes from both so I can track them down if you like?

Yeah I just rung the both of them. The eBay store offered $280 delivered and then trufit offered $270 delivered. So looks like I might be going with trufit's :) we're these prices similar to yours?

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah mate looks similar. My quote was a tad more expensive cos Im getting the resomat underlay. Did both those quotes include underlay?

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah trufit mentioned that they had a premium underlay worth 80 odd dollars. Yeahp both of them include underlay. Both stores offered the flooring for $220. Tru fit was an additional $30 for the underlay and $20 for postage where as ebay was $40 for the underlay and $20 for postage

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah the underlay Im getting is more than that again my underlay is 220 but this is for my everyday car so I want it nice and quiet :)

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 04:02 PM
Wow the underlay would wanna be good for that money! Haha
Yeah I guess I'm in the frame of mind that its my first car so it doesn't need to be perfect. How noisy do you reakon mine will be with just normal underlay?

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 04:11 PM
It will be fine mate. I have no issues with my GQ and it would be noisier than your petrol donk thats for sure. It will do the job perfectly well mate. IM just trying something different.

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 04:16 PM
Ok no worries, that's good to know. The noise factor never really occurred to me nor do I think it'll really bother me that much if it is noisy, that what I got a fourwheel drive for! Haha

So when you say your trying something different, what other than buying the better underlay, what exactly will be different on yours? :)

nissannewby
8th October 2012, 04:21 PM
The stuff Im getting (for my GU) is a stick on underlay insulation. Punch dynamat or resomat into google. Its a pretty nifty material and is also good for getting the best out stereo systems. Thats what I meant by trying something different it will be interesting to see if it is much better than the standard underlay.

lil Rig
8th October 2012, 04:24 PM
Oh fair enough. Ill have a look at the both of them. When you get it put in, let me know what the results are like , it'll be good to know if there is any difference :)