PDA

View Full Version : Recipes and Food

Woof
6th November 2010, 10:53 PM
Ok just thought I would start in new thread regarding eating stuff.

The Dogman's Summer Salad.

1 container of Grape Tomatoes (cut in half)
Lettuce leaves torn into small pieces
1 chunk of Fetta (Australian reduced fat type, crumbled)
Half a bottle of whole Kalamarta Olives (pitted and rinsed)
3 Baby Carrots (diced)
Half a Red or Orange Capsicum (diced)
7 medium size Button Mushrooms (sliced)
When all ingredients are in a bowl just mix well to combine and then drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil or not.....I have been leaving the Olive Oil out lately and adding it when the salad is on the plate.
Serve with BBQ steak (rare or own preference) with Beetroot and Red Kidney Beans and some nice bread rolls.

Finly Owner
6th November 2010, 11:31 PM
i vote doggie as caterer for 2012 forum bash

DX grunt
6th November 2010, 11:47 PM
i vote doggie as caterer for 2012 forum bash

I dub thee...King of the Barbeque.

mike
7th November 2010, 12:16 AM
Hopefully washed down with a few cleansing ales and a good bottle of red

Cheers Mike

patch697
7th November 2010, 12:35 PM
Motion passed, Doggy is now the official caterer for the 2012 meet.

Nice work Doggy..............lol

Maxhead
7th November 2010, 12:43 PM
Agreed, thanks for putting your hand up Doggy...lol

AB
7th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds good to me too, well done Doggy!

I will be the official beer chiller and camp fire lookerafterer...lol

I got some good recipes too Dog, I'll chuck some up when I catch up on the forum...Been away all weekend!

Woof
7th November 2010, 08:39 PM
What the?????, I just started this thread so everyone could have somewhere to share their favourite foody stuff, not to be nominated as chief cook and bottle washer:confused::confused::biggrin::biggrin:

patch697
7th November 2010, 09:43 PM
But you haven't been nominated chief cook and bottle washer. Kris will be washing all our bottles and making sure we have fresh glasses to drink from!!!

So don't worry about the bottles mate. You only need to cook for everyone. Easy.

hahaha...... All settled then....lolol

Woof
7th November 2010, 10:30 PM
OK but only if you all like your meat cooked rare, do not do the well done/charcoal stuff............yuk. also while cooking I will require a barmaid to keep me topped up with beer.........maybe a job for one of our dress wearers:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock:

patch697
7th November 2010, 11:16 PM
OK but only if you all like your meat cooked rare, do not do the well done/charcoal stuff............yuk. also while cooking I will require a barmaid to keep me topped up with beer.........maybe a job for one of our dress wearers:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock:

I'll have my steak Mooing thanks & you could do a hell of a lot better for a barmaid so I will save you the agg & decline the offer.....lolol

Maxhead
8th November 2010, 01:48 PM
But you haven't been nominated chief cook and bottle washer. Kris will be washing all our bottles and making sure we have fresh glasses to drink from!!!

So don't worry about the bottles mate. You only need to cook for everyone. Easy.

Haha, I'll clean the bottles dry, no worries:tongue::p:trink13:
If you can trust me with the glasses I''ll make sure you have fresh clean ones, but I do get a wobbly boot after a few..lol:cheers:

DX grunt
8th November 2010, 01:54 PM
Haha, I'll clean the bottles dry, no worries:tongue::p:trink13:
If you can trust me with the glasses I''ll make sure you have fresh clean ones, but I do get a wobbly boot after a few..lol:cheers:

Me personally, I'd be supplying plastic cups Kris

Woof
27th December 2010, 07:31 PM
OK last week I went to make Curried Sausages but only had 1 teaspoon of Curry Powder left, so this is what I added to give it a bit of flavor:
2 teaspoons of Dry Chilli Flakes
1.5 teaspoons of Hot English Mustard
10 drops of Tabasco Sauce
Bloody beautiful, so don't forget to try this if you run out of Curry Powder.http://209.85.48.9/html/emoticons/wub.gif

Anyone else got something constructive to add to this thread or is it just me?????????????????????????????????

DX grunt
27th December 2010, 07:39 PM
CHUNKY BEEF STEW.....

1. Open can
2. Pour contents into microwave proof dish and cover.
3. Heat until desired temperature is reached.
4. Serve with bread and butter.

Yummieeeeeee. lololol

Woof
27th December 2010, 07:42 PM
CHUNKY BEEF STEW.....

1. Open can
2. Pour contents into microwave proof dish and cover.
3. Heat until desired temperature is reached.
4. Serve with bread and butter.

Yummieeeeeee. lololol

Hey Ross, you did not read my fine print matehttp://209.85.48.9/1806/9/emo/frust.gif..........Anyone else got something constructive to add to this thread or is it just me?????????????????????????????????

DX grunt
27th December 2010, 07:45 PM
Hey Ross, you did not read my fine print matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/..........Anyone else got something constructive to add to this thread or is it just me?????????????????????????????????

Just ewe. lol

patch697
27th December 2010, 08:51 PM
Thats why we love your input Roosco......lolololol

DX grunt
27th December 2010, 10:45 PM
Hey Ross, you did not read my fine print matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/..........Anyone else got something constructive to add to this thread or is it just me?????????????????????????????????

Sorry Wayne. I'll get serious.

Just pretend I've cooked a beautiful basket of hot potato wedges, sprinkled some salt over them
and I say those famous words...."Wedginald, your wedges are weddy". hahahahahah
Is that serious enough for you?

Woof
27th December 2010, 10:47 PM
Ross what can I say but.......................................I GIVE UPhttp://209.85.48.9/1806/9/emo/nowar.gif

Finly Owner
27th December 2010, 10:52 PM
I've got one:

Get left over mashed spud, veges from night b4, place in frypan with butter on low heat, fry, add garlic, tomato sauce, vegemite, onion.
Wait until it looks like mush, remove and dish up, eat, now tell me that it looked like crap, but tasted great.

DX grunt
27th December 2010, 10:59 PM
I've got one:

Get left over mashed spud, veges from night b4, place in frypan with butter on low heat, fry, add garlic, tomato sauce, vegemite, onion.
Wait until it looks like mush, remove and dish up, eat, now tell me that it looked like crap, but tasted great.

PM it to BigRig. Sounds like a hangover remedy. lolol

patch697
27th December 2010, 11:36 PM
I've got one:

Bobble & squeak Aussie style................. Yum

Finly Owner
27th December 2010, 11:45 PM
Looks and feels like baby food, but tastes bloody beaut.

Woof
2nd January 2011, 10:15 PM
Well just had my first go at "Brick Chicken"..........bloody beautiful
Recipe:
Spatchcock your Free Range chicken by removing the backbone, open it up flat and cut through the bottom section without cutting all the way through.
Pour heaps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the chook and sprinkle with Tyme and Rosemary, place chook back in fridge too marinate for about 3 to 6 hours.
Get 2 house bricks and wrap in foil to prevent the dirty bricks coming in contact with the Chook, preheat the bricks in the BBQ with the hood down or inside in the oven.
Place Chook skin side down on the chargrill part of you BBQ, then place the preheated bricks on top of the Chook and leave for 20 mins.
Turn Chook over after removing the bricks and then put the bricks back on top of the Chook.
Leave for another 20 mins and turn the Chook over again replacing the bricks on top again.
Leave for 10 mins and your Brick Chicken is ready to serve if fluids are running clear.
Serve with whatever you like, I did some rustic veges on the BBQ as well.
Enjoy.
Oops nearly forgot use a very LOW heat on your chargrill otherwise you will burn the crap out of it..
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/BrickChicken004.jpg

wildgu6
2nd January 2011, 10:40 PM
Sounds absoulutely delightful Doggy, even looks alright under the brix not cooked.
And you can wash it down with:

All in the same glass.......lol
Shot of vodka....can go 2 depends on glass size or your appetite or you may just have a drinking problem...lol
Shot of cointreau
almost fill the glass up with crushed ice and add rasberry soda to fill
(that is called a VCR) Enjoy

Cheers Pete

patch697
2nd January 2011, 11:11 PM
Doggy thats going on the bbq at my place for sure..... I'll let you know how I get on.

Woof
2nd January 2011, 11:16 PM
Doggy thats going on the bbq at my place for sure..... I'll let you know how I get on.

Turns out great Pauly, don't forget photos, we love photos http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

patch697
2nd January 2011, 11:17 PM
your on mate............lol

Woof
2nd January 2011, 11:21 PM
The finished article
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/brickchicken005.jpg

patch697
2nd January 2011, 11:22 PM
Cheers Doggy I'll do my best to match that mouth watering masterpiece you got there.

Woof
2nd January 2011, 11:25 PM
Cheers Doggy I'll do my best to match that mouth watering masterpiece you got there.

It's great fun trying something different, just get sick off the BBQ-ed steak and bangers and if it does not turn out right you just try again.

Sir Roofy
3rd January 2011, 11:10 AM
WHAT ABOUT A BOILED FRUIT CAKE XMAS PUD
i use this mix

310g dried fruit
170g chopped cherrys (opt)
360g white sugar
170g butter
235ml milk
2g mixed spice
2g baking soda
mix in pot bring to boil ,then simmer for 5min and then let cool

335g self raising flour
2eggs

sift flour and wisk eggs and stir in mix put in bowl with lid seald and boil for 4hours

cheers roofy

sorry no pics but is good
can do one if u want

Maxhead
3rd January 2011, 11:58 AM
Well just had my first go at "Brick Chicken"..........bloody beautiful
Recipe:
Spatchcock your Free Range chicken by removing the backbone, open it up flat and cut through the bottom section without cutting all the way through.
Pour heaps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the chook and sprinkle with Tyme and Rosemary, place chook back in fridge too marinate for about 3 to 6 hours.
Get 2 house bricks and wrap in foil to prevent the dirty bricks coming in contact with the Chook, preheat the bricks in the BBQ with the hood down or inside in the oven.
Place Chook skin side down on the chargrill part of you BBQ, then place the preheated bricks on top of the Chook and leave for 20 mins.
Turn Chook over after removing the bricks and then put the bricks back on top of the Chook.
Leave for another 20 mins and turn the Chook over again replacing the bricks on top again.
Leave for 10 mins and your Brick Chicken is ready to serve if fluids are running clear.
Serve with whatever you like, I did some rustic veges on the BBQ as well.
Enjoy.
Oops nearly forgot use a very LOW heat on your chargrill otherwise you will burn the crap out of it..

That looks sensational Doggy, making me hungry!
Guess what I'm putting on the BBQ tonight:thumbup:

patch697
3rd January 2011, 02:53 PM
WHAT ABOUT A BOILED FRUIT CAKE XMAS PUD
i use this mix

310g dried fruit
170g chopped cherrys (opt)
360g white sugar
170g butter
235ml milk
2g mixed spice
2g baking soda
mix in pot bring to boil ,then simmer for 5min and then let cool

335g self raising flour
2eggs

sift flour and wisk eggs and stir in mix put in bowl with lid seald and boil for 4hours

cheers roofy

sorry no pics but is good
can do one if u want

I recon this should follow my brick chicken roofy...........Cheers mate

the ferret
3rd January 2011, 03:49 PM
A couple of these with your salad Doggy?
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010632.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010631.jpg

MudRunnerTD
3rd January 2011, 08:02 PM
Sweets

1 packet of Clinkers
1 tin of condensed milk,
1 Packet of Maree biscuits crushed
Desiccated coconut,
cocoa powder

empty Maree biscuits into a bowl with cocao powder to colour,
Add desiccated coconut for texture.
Pour in a tin of condensed milk
add packet of clinkers

Mix it all up.

take it out of the bowl and roll into a long log about 40mm to 50mm diameter

Roll in more desiccated coconut

Put it in the fridge to help set it if you want to at this stage.

Slice diagonally across the log every 15mm

Guard the plate with your life cause they rock!!! :bowdown:

Woof
3rd January 2011, 08:03 PM
Yes for sure Rod, they are everywhere in the estuary from what I have been told mate, will give it another month and then go scooping............got the wait until the terrorists (tourists) go back to where they all come from.
Apparently there are heaps of female Blue Swimmers this year so it looks like the bag restrictions and the 3 months ban have worked.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
Blue Swimmers with Salad and Crusty Bread on the 1st of Feb, yum yum.

wildgu6
3rd January 2011, 09:22 PM
Hey Doggy, guess what I had for dinner.
Chicken drummies, ex-v olive oil, thyme, rosemary.
marinated over night but cheated, they were done in the oven.
BUT THEY WERE AWSOME. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: (Grilled on bbq would top it off)
Your finnished product looks mmmmmmmmagnificant, as do Rods ocean delights.
Love my crabs, no thats just wrong, I love crab meat.

Cheers buddy :cheers::cheers:

Woof
3rd January 2011, 09:39 PM
Well done to all who have posted their recipes up here, keep them coming everyone.
By the way, NO I will NOT be the Camp Cook at the 2012 Forum Get-together Ross.....lol

wildgu6
4th January 2011, 06:45 PM
Well done to all who have posted their recipes up here, keep them coming everyone.
By the way, NO I will NOT be the Camp Cook at the 2012 Forum Get-together Ross.....lol

But will you write a recipe book ......

Cheers Pete

molongmick
5th January 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi guys and gals, Made something similar to this was great. I used powdered garlic and ginge as well as dried chilli.

ingredients:-
rack of pork back ribs

sauce.
2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup red wine or port
1 cup chicken stock
2 tblsp tomato paste
2 tblsp soy sauce
2 tblsp worstershire sauce
1 chilli
1 spring onion
fresh garlic
fresh ginger
salt , pepper & herbs for seasoning
a few drops of Bourbon flavouring (get it from a home brew shop), or just some bourbon.:1062:

First remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs (it can get a bit tough, I don't normally worry about it) & trim any fat.
Boil the ribs as a rack for at least an hour in a C/O

while they are boiling put vinegar, brown sugar & red wine in another C/O & boil until it has reduced by almost half
add chicken stock & remaining ingredients & boil for another 15 - 20 Mins
Strain water from ribs & cut them into racks of 4 or individuals then pour the sauce over them (you should have enough sauce to cover them) & let stand for an hour or two.
Strain off sauce into a saucepan or C/O & boil hard until it reduces to a sticky sauce consistincy (coat the back of a spoon)
put some hard wood chips on the bottom of a C/O & place ribs on foil on trivet & baste well with sauce
cook for about 45 Min replenishing wood chips as required & keep basting until they are well glazed.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=The Dogman;27676
By the way, NO I will NOT be the Camp Cook at the 2012 Forum Get-together Ross.....lol[/QUOTE]

Ok. I've had a rethink. These youngin's have plenty of time to lift their trucks and their cullinary skills before the eyeball.

I've got this gut feeling that there'll be plenty of bbq packs floating around and not many vegies eaten at the get-together. lol

Woof
5th January 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that recipe for the Pork Ribs Mick, sounds great will definitely have to give it ago.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

patch697
5th January 2011, 07:23 PM
X2....................... I'll be giving this a go too Mick............Thanks mate.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 08:35 PM
X2....................... I'll be giving this a go too Mick............Thanks mate.

Just the heading sounds scrumptious.

wildgu6
24th January 2011, 09:59 PM
Here's one for the home or the bush. Beans, but no ordinary beans, these are Pete's favorite beans.

Large pot with a splash of olive oil, cooking oil, what ever you fancy, just not sump oil.
2 onions diced.
3 kranski's cut down the middle length ways then sliced approx 5-10mm thick
2 charizo sausages cut as per above
1 or 2 peperoni sticks chopped up

cook the above ingredients until onions are golden brown (not burnt)
While its cooking drain and rinse 4 cans of 5 bean mix and add to pot
add hot water until mixture is just covered
add 2 table spoons of vegita and stir

cook down to reduce the water (stir occasionally) to a consistancy you are happy with. (approx 45 mins)(Some like it thick and some thin) (Me thick) Ha Ha in advance

add 1/2 pkt maggi beef stroginoff mix and stir in
Ready to eat in 2 minutes
Serve on toast or in a bowl with fresh bread on the side

Enjoy

Cheers Pete

Maxhead
24th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a "ripper" next morning if you get my drift...lolol

Woof
24th January 2011, 10:51 PM
Sounds great Pete, another one for me to try, Thanks mate.

Woof
24th January 2011, 11:19 PM
Pete, I need to know which variety of Vegita you use mate??

patch697
25th January 2011, 01:24 PM
Here's one for the home or the bush. Beans, but no ordinary beans, these are Pete's favorite beans.

Large pot with a splash of olive oil, cooking oil, what ever you fancy, just not sump oil.
2 onions diced.
3 kranski's cut down the middle length ways then sliced approx 5-10mm thick
2 charizo sausages cut as per above
1 or 2 peperoni sticks chopped up

cook the above ingredients until onions are golden brown (not burnt)
While its cooking drain and rinse 4 cans of 5 bean mix and add to pot
add hot water until mixture is just covered
add 2 table spoons of vegita and stir

cook down to reduce the water (stir occasionally) to a consistancy you are happy with. (approx 45 mins)(Some like it thick and some thin) (Me thick) Ha Ha in advance

add 1/2 pkt maggi beef stroginoff mix and stir in
Ready to eat in 2 minutes
Serve on toast or in a bowl with fresh bread on the side

Enjoy

Cheers Pete

The recipe sounded scrumy Pete but it maybe one to try when im out camping on my own as I don't think even my Dog would keep me company after a feed of that....lolol

wildgu6
22nd February 2011, 10:38 PM
Pete, I need to know which variety of Vegita you use mate??

Thanks a lot Pete, now I'm starving! I'm gonna give that one a go for sure.

By the way, what's Vegita?

Sorry guys, havent been back here for a while.
Plas vegeta is a gourmet stock, (Salt alternative) Get at most supermarkets these days,
Doggy, sorry mate for takin so long, Podravka vegeta, not the chicken one, just the normal one in blue container.

wildgu6
22nd February 2011, 10:42 PM
Nice simple one to try guys,

Tasty cheese chopped into cubes,
Drizzle honey over,
Sprinkle a good quality coffee over.
Thats it, Enjoy........mmmmmmmmmm

gec
23rd February 2011, 03:03 AM
Saw this on telly the other day and had to try it, "IT WAS YUMMY" :thumbup:

Smoked Paprika Chicken with Sesame Sweet Potatoes

Serves 4-6
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
1.8kg free range chicken
50g butter, softened
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dried oregano
500g kumera (orange sweet potatoes), cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Cut chicken down the backbone and open out. Combine butter and garlic and, using fingers, loosen skin from flesh and spread garlic butter under the skin, over the breast meat and drumsticks. Using a vegetable peeler, shave a few strips of lemon peel and tuck under the skin. Place onions in the base of a roasting dish and place chicken on top, skin side up. Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and tuck the lemon skins under the chicken. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss sweet potato chunks with oil, sesame seeds, cumin and season with salt and pepper. Arrange around chicken and bake at 200°C for 1 hour or until golden brown and cooked when tested (ie. juices should run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the chicken, the thigh). Serve chicken pieces with sesame sweet potatoes and a crisp, green salad or steamed green beans.

wildgu6
23rd February 2011, 08:05 PM
Saw this on telly the other day and had to try it, "IT WAS YUMMY"

Thats the one Gec, Jamie Oliver.

the ferret
24th February 2011, 11:13 PM
Ok, one for the GURUS, just pulled a crab pot at my jetty and got a huge occy, are there any good recipes that anyone could share, other than that, it's gunna be Jewy bait!!
I'm happy to share it with anyone local, it's fresh and still kick'n.

Bigrig
25th February 2011, 07:21 AM
Ok, one for the GURUS, just pulled a crab pot at my jetty and got a huge occy, are there any good recipes that anyone could share, other than that, it's gunna be Jewy bait!!
I'm happy to share it with anyone local, it's fresh and still kick'n.

Hey mate - my missus is croatian and they cook them in salt, pepper, olive oil and a sprinkling of that Vegeta stuff (yellow can, yellow powder) - bloody beautiful ...

the ferret
25th February 2011, 10:07 AM
Ha , when I cook it you could use it for a snatch strap!! lol

Bob
5th August 2011, 03:00 PM
CAMP OVEN LEMONADE SCONES

4 Cups Self Raising Flour
1 Cup Cream
1 Cup Lemonade

Mix together in a Bowl by hand Break into scone sizes and bung in a Pre heated slightly oiled Camp Oven and cook for 20 minutes or so until Golden Brown.
Serve Hot with Jam & Cream or whatever

Should make about 20/25 Scones so a couple of batches depending on size of Camp Oven.

Enjoy because I do.

the ferret
5th August 2011, 10:56 PM
Good one Bob, followed your recipe, only thing was I dumped em in the oven.
Wife " they are very light, yum, nice with the strawberry jam and cream, thankyou darling NOW, who's gunna clean up that mess?"
Thanks Bob, they turned out a treat.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/212.jpg

the ferret
5th August 2011, 11:37 PM
Bush Rabbit.
1. get rabbit.
2.light a big fire, lots of rocks.
3 knock off rabbit and un zip, leave skin on, remove guts, leave heart and kidneys, remove gall bladder with care, don't damage, push all poop out the back.
4 stuff with onion, half hand full charcoal, clove garlic, a tomato, pinch salt and a slice of bread (chopped up)
5 sew up with string or wire (not fishing line)
6 wrap the bunny in clay, red clay is best about an inch thick.
7 cover with hot ash and rocks, wait 45minutes, pull rabbit out and the skin will come off with the baked on clay.
8 open stubby and enjoy.

the ferret
6th August 2011, 12:09 AM
Good question plasnart, the charcoal will remove the "game" taste, I have spent a lot of time outback and like all wild things, eg Roo and Rabbit, snake , goana, croc, emu in particular and even wild duck.
The charcoal tends to get rid of the musty gamey wild taste, good on bush turkey altho they are protected now.
The charcoal stays together and is easily removed when you open them up, best to mix it with the bread.
With rabbit and birds, leave the head and/feathers on, crocs, leave the skin on as with emu and snake/goana.
Bon apetit!

the ferret
6th August 2011, 12:36 AM
Nah, It's pretty well known, even wild duck, much better with a bit of charcoal.
I must mention tho, with snake there is a procedure to make sure yer not cooking venom into the flesh, the head must be removed as well as about a third of the creature from the head back.
Cooking is sposed to neutralize the venom, but I don't like to wake up with a headache, just wakeup!! The Aborigines have done this fer years and if in doubt, ask them, they know.