PDA

View Full Version : Oil around side of turbo?? and some vibration feeling at speed

Jawa
7th October 2012, 08:48 AM
Ok...finally got to drive this 2006 Nissan Patrol stl auto yesterday....other than the fact that it really needs a good detail it presented well and was good to drive.

Some concerns were...when you got up to speed of above 110klm ...say about 120klm
the bonnet would shudder/move/vibrate and you could feel like a vibration in the side pillars and in the doors....Vehicle has done 280k and has never had shockies replaced. Really like to know if this vibration feeling is the norm for the patrols at speed....and if not what could the cause. RAC check said that the sway brushes at the rear were cracked...would this aslo cause the vibration ?

Also when I lifted the bonnet you could see moisture/black oil ( sort of sticky ) around the base of the turbo ( i think ) . Not sure where this could be coming from as did not have the tools to take cover off to get a closer look. Would like some advice /feedback please.

Other than the above I really liked it....squint the eyes and picture new tyres and rims....a bloody good detail and polish and it should come up nice... Full service history and did not blow any smoke .

growler2058
7th October 2012, 08:56 AM
To hazard a guess I would say the suspension is well and truly due for renewal/upgrade especially with stuffed sway bar rubbers. Not just those also replace radius arm bushes (genuine nissan only) panhards, steering linkage, trailing arm bushes etc etc. May pay to check engine, gearbox and transfer mounts as well though would like to think you mechanic would have had a look at those

Sent via my tapping thumbs

Jawa
7th October 2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks growler ...any views about the oil leak?....the suspension maintenance that you mention....is about replacing bushes/mounts etc is this a major job costs wise or is it something that can be done in the garage at home?...just trying to get an idea if I am up for $000's or $00's in getting that done . Getting the vehicle for the trade in price that he was offered...which is a great price...but may be offest if I need to spend big bucks in getting up to speed.

growler2058
7th October 2012, 09:23 AM
Nah sorry mate I'm a naturally aspirated kinda guy hahahahahaha...........for now

Sent via my tapping thumbs

threedogs
7th October 2012, 09:24 AM
Get all bushes Shocks replaced, a wheel balance sounds on the cards too.
I'm thinking factor in $2500 for complete job, then when they charge you
less it won't seem so bad. Turbos have a bit of oil around them, you need to get
that engine cover off to check hoses etc, X 2 with Growler on engine mounts etc

boots
7th October 2012, 09:21 PM
The zd30 engine are known for crankcase blowby and oil vapour residue entering the inlet system . A catch can fitted will sort that issue out if it is the issue but you need to remove the pipework at the turbo or intercooler to see this properly ,This is part of the NADS mods anyway , IMO money well spent .

Jawa
7th October 2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for your help with the advice Boots and threedogs.....gives me a starting point...regards jawa

Lieney
10th October 2012, 09:22 PM
x3 all bushes, shocks etc
I discovered the VNTs turbo's are aparently non-rebuildable, or so I was told by Nissan, and some other lads in the business.
I didn't contact the manufacturer though.
New one cost me $1350, but I didn't get from Nissan. It was fiddly to fix and studs / bolts etc are expensive!
All gaskets $15 aftermarket. Some genuine gaskets $85.
Catch-can is good thing.
Get cover off and check where oil is coming from.