PDA

View Full Version : buying advice for gauges?

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 01:44 PM
Guys,

I thought I'd go out and pick up some VDO gauges (EGT & boost) from some local auto dealers this morning, but could find VDOs for sale and the only Saas gauges at Supercheap don't seem to have EGT.

I've been searching the forum for a bit and can't seem to find people's recommendations for:

A. A good brand, AND

B. A suitable dealer.

$600 odd bucks for pillar mounts and gauges seems a bit steep to me - has anyone else got some ideas?

Thanks heaps - then newbie!

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 01:46 PM
Bugger, that will teach me on my first thread - check the title too. Should be buying advice - damn iPad auto correct!

megatexture
6th October 2012, 01:49 PM
yea the pillar pods seem to be a waste if you ask me i can think of many things id rather buy i mounted mine on the steering colum will stick a pic up when i can. you can get vdo's on ebay prob cheaper then in store also .

threedogs
6th October 2012, 02:07 PM
Gauge wise buy the best you can afford, I have pillar pod, its ok ,out of the way. but not many options

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 02:14 PM
I went with Autron gauges. They look great and do the job. Some like them, some don't.
Daytime
Night time

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 06:33 PM
Looks good threedogs. Simple and out of the way!

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 06:34 PM
Threedogs - what brand are the gauges?

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Megomonster - are your gauges an LCD? They look real flash and with good contrast. How do you find them in the sun?

patch697
6th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Bugger, that will teach me on my first thread - check the title too. Should be buying advice - damn iPad auto correct!

The thread titles all fixed up for ya mate.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 06:36 PM
Speco white face ,boost needs to calibrate like mine, no minus can PM pillar pod details if you like

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 07:13 PM
Megomonster - are your gauges an LCD? They look real flash and with good contrast. How do you find them in the sun?

Yes LCD. I have not yet encountered trouble from the sun but I am expecting it.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 07:26 PM
Yes please threedogs!

Thanks Patch!!

snewin
6th October 2012, 10:57 PM
I got autometer gauges & a pillar pod off eBay. All up around $300. Very happy with the result.

boots
7th October 2012, 12:21 AM
There is a vendor on the forum who sells gauges . KHOLO ST is his name , PM him and see how you go or search ''autometer combo'' thread with info on whats what . Otherwise ebay is your friend with the strong aussie dollar . My advice is make sure you get boost readings in PSI and EGT in degrees celcious / metric .

snewin
7th October 2012, 03:33 AM
And don't get a boost gauge that goes into negative, no need. Consensus seems to be 0 to 30 psi gauge.

Steveo_the_Devo
7th October 2012, 09:57 AM
X2 Autron gauges & pillar pod. 2 gauges, 4 readings. EGT & boost are in 1 gauge, dual batteries in the other. Boost & EGT alarms built in & adjustable. No problems in sunlight but can be a bit bright at night. They are a bit $$ though

Tappity tap don't look back

Monty_e
7th October 2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've gone the Autometer gauges from eBay... a tad more reasonable than Autrons. Thanks anyway Steveo. Thanks Boots - yeah negative = vacuum.

threedogs
7th October 2012, 03:20 PM
This is an option if you want to monitor 2nd battery,
Red one just a cheapie but hey something to keep an eye on driving along

megatexture
7th October 2012, 03:57 PM
heres pic of my gauges, they only block out low rpm's and speeds above 140kh

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20861

and volt meter from baintech best gauge ive seen yet more accurate then needle and is back lit never has an issue with glare

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20860

and auto temp gauge sorry dont have pic from another angle for this one

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20862

Biscuits
7th October 2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20862

This is where I am planning on putting my boost guage, Will post up some pics once it is in... just waiting on parts, they are on a slow boat from china (very friggin slow boat at that)

threedogs
7th October 2012, 04:33 PM
Plenty of options there for you Monty, down to what suits you and your budget really;

Mega got a dual pod to sit on the steering there, but tad too big, would be OK on side of console But I put no drill policy on 4x4
Biscuits all boats are slow from China thus the saying, interested to see pic to, don't forget please.

Biscuits
7th October 2012, 07:02 PM
Definitely wont forget, I am planning to do a step by step write up on it, as there is not one on here, and for a goose like me with 11 thumbs (depending on where my hand is), a step by step instructional would be handy for people like me :)

megatexture
7th October 2012, 07:07 PM
Plenty of options there for you Monty, down to what suits you and your budget really;

Mega got a dual pod to sit on the steering there, but tad too big, would be OK on side of console But I put no drill policy on 4x4
Biscuits all boats are slow from China thus the saying, interested to see pic to, don't forget please.
seen the dual collum mounts also and didnt like them they block to much, i to dont like drilling but when something isnt going to be moved i have no problem with it

kevin07
7th October 2012, 10:48 PM
autometer pro comp on ebay pillar pod fitting $500 all up

Monty_e
7th October 2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys - I don't mind the mount in front of the speedo. Not sure mounting gauges on the head unit would work for me, but I'm keen to see how it works ... providing that boat arrives for u. I'm going to do a mock up of the two locs and drive around for a few to see how it goes.
Thanks again for the input.

mudski
7th October 2012, 11:29 PM
If you don't want a pillar pod you can can go a single two in one gauge like this, http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/
I have one of these mounted on the dash in between the tacho and speedo. The boost is electronicly controlled so no need to run vacuum lines in.

Lowy44
30th November 2013, 09:50 PM
Autron pillar pod, and my gauges from the USA (speedhut.com.). They are settable ( high / low setting) and also have a visual led and audible warning. Gauges were $250 each delivered but I wanted protection for my grenade so I was prepared to spend a little extra. Had them in now for 2 years and work perfectly.
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/lowy44/P3011945_zpsad075b4d.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/lowy44/DSC00575_zps3031b013.jpg