PDA

View Full Version : May there be light

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 01:25 PM
Here's my camping light setup.

I originally bought a LED light strip of eBay for some 15$ to place under the awning. It gets attached to a cable fed through the rear sliding window but also has an illuminated switch on the inside. Connected via anderson plug.

That used only half of the 5 meters so I decided to stick the rest into the boot. I've placed it around the door opening on the inside so that it doesn't blind me but illuminates the cargo area. Again with an illuminated switch.

Then I had some 30cm of LED strip left which now makes for good light in the roof top tent. I simply taped it to the central pole overhead. The cable runs along the pole to where the mattress begins. Again with a switch, this time dangling freely like on normal lamps at home. Power comes from another cable fed through that sliding rear window and through an existing opening in the tent. Connection is done via anderson plug and I added a second one for accessories (I always find out I need to charge my phone when I set the alarm...)

The last light you see is a LED spot light in the kitchen so that I see what I'm cutting. It's from http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/index.html eBay store.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 01:34 PM
Awesome awesome awesome, love it mate, now thats thinking, well done.
Just about to fit red strip to awning as well as white, plenty of off cut hey.
Noticed you have dark spot under awning, can't see this as prob. was going to put chair there back to Patrol anyway

growler2058
6th October 2012, 01:38 PM
Mate of mine got a shipload from deal extreme and has decked out his trades van looks like close encounters of the third kind awesome stuff

Sent via my tapping thumbs

threedogs
6th October 2012, 01:54 PM
This is my prep table, has a wire shelf underneath for pots and pans, all flat packs
Alloy sheet easy to wipe down, work in progress as only used it once so far.
Originally a table a mate gave me, couldn't throw it out so cut it down to use at camp
Chopping board not fixed, great for filleting. LED light is fine but could be better. might have it PIR
operated not sure yet. There enough room left for a camp cupboard too

taslucas
6th October 2012, 02:07 PM
Looking good:).

I had an idea with those led strips: get a few strips and set them up with a switch and maybe 1-2 metres of lead then and anderson plug (or which ever plug you run) then stick the led to a magnetic backing so that they can be stuck anywhere around the vehicle and run the lead back to your power source. Would be a very versatile setup, good for night time tyre change or repairs, or when a few cars are parked next to each other you could light up the dark spot inbetween. Just a thought.....

threedogs
6th October 2012, 02:24 PM
Great idea again, Is it something like this.
made this up from off cut,never used it but it looked handy.
No good at camp as would draw insects too close, but for changing
a wheel perfect, store away to nothing hey.
I have heaps of options for camp lighting

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 03:18 PM
I really like this idea, how much light does it throw out in the dark. 10-20metres maybe.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 05:40 PM
I didn't even notice I had a dark spot under the awning (spent most time at the camp fire...). Looks like it even shines on the wheel arches though might look bigger than it is.

Next thing will be making my own diffusor for the light in the tent (all romantic and stuff). I have a cut off of see through plastic hose and thought to just give it a good rub with sand paper, cut it open length wise and wedge it over the tent pole with the LEDs on it.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 05:43 PM
Forgot to ask is it 300 leds for 5mtrs or the 600 led for 5 Mtrs. everyone told me to put a dimmer on.
thats why I got 300 red per 5mtrs

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 07:31 PM
It's 300 warm white LEDs. I didn't want cold light but something more relaxed.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 07:39 PM
Yo Flow Jayca sell disfusers for these strip lights plus end caps to keep them neat,
I've just found this for my camp light, normally have big camps, If you come to my fishing weekend you'll see why.
anyway hoping I can use this,, used to take 4 of these, one is heaps by might be better with the magnifier on it, we'll see.

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that.
Let me hijack my own thread: when's your fishing weekend and where? Wanted to learn how to fish since I'm 14...

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:17 PM
It was next weekend up the murray, but been waiting for a back operation since feb, my 17th op.
and only just got the ok to have Op on the 9th next Tuesday. so cancelled fishing till up and at them again. hopefully by the end of the month,
was using it as a vic meet and greet