PDA

View Full Version : Do "flattened" gas bottles exist?

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 12:56 PM
Now what's that madness you ask?

I buggered up my storage system by trusting the guys at Bunnings that I can operate a gas bottle lying on its side. :1087: Now I'm looking for a gas bottle which isn't that high. Something more oval shaped than the usual suspects. My maximum hight is only 21.5cm...

That's the madness!

threedogs
6th October 2012, 01:15 PM
Have you looked at the green disposable cannisters about $14 each very handy available from Kmart'
Use them all the time no pics sorry
more than enough for a weekend away
They screw on ,adaptors available for BBQ etc

NissanGQ4.2
6th October 2012, 01:23 PM
I assume you are referring 2 a LPG gas cylinder? Never seen one flattened.

How much gas do you need 2 carry?

threedogs
6th October 2012, 02:14 PM
Think he needs a different shape for storage reasons.
those green gas disposal cannisters are what he needs
,Get 4 meals easy out of one can, only 200mm x 100mm if that

Robo
6th October 2012, 02:25 PM
Try Kleen Heat, or 1 of major suppliers.
see if they can source something different for your needs

threedogs
6th October 2012, 02:31 PM
Maybe they have a SCUBA tank style one, old days heaps of different sizes
now not so much

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 07:40 PM
I didn't want to go for the small disposable ones because the don't work well when cold (desert in winter).
Right now I've a 2kg gas bottle. When operated on it's side I get a clearly visible, "cloudy" gas coming out of the stove which doesn't burn. Works once the canister stands upright. Not sure if right away or after a while.
Point is, I wanted a setup where I just open the valve and light the stove. The whole kitchen drawer is built around it. I'm not going to trust Bunnings any more (second time they gave me the wrong information) and will do proper research in the future.
I might go for a dual burner with disposable bottles in the end after all. :-/

Edit: Something like this (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/244552774/Gas_Cylinder_LPG_0_5A_.html)

threedogs
6th October 2012, 07:41 PM
Have you looked at un leaded cookers?

NissanGQ4.2
6th October 2012, 07:52 PM
so you only have 21.5cm in height, what about the depth of the storage area???

Beside the fact laying the bottle on its side hasn't worked, its also illegal as far as I'm aware.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 07:56 PM
Whats the law there, on the roof and vented I take it. Never in side no gas anyway far too flamable

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 07:58 PM
threedogs: Not yet. Sounds a bit messy?
NissanGQ4.2: Probably because it doesn't work and is dangerous... :blowup:
21.5cm height. I reckon width and length could be up to 30-40cm.

Flo-w
6th October 2012, 08:03 PM
"When transporting cylinders in the car the total capacity must not exceed 9kg. The cylinders should be transported in an upright position, secured, preferably in the boot. Do not leave LPG bottles in a vehicle unnecessarily." Fire & Rescue NSW (http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=716)

NissanGQ4.2
6th October 2012, 08:17 PM
"When transporting cylinders in the car the total capacity must not exceed 9kg. The cylinders should be transported in an upright position, secured, preferably in the boot. Do not leave LPG bottles in a vehicle unnecessarily." Fire & Rescue NSW (http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=716)

yeh once I went to get two 9kg gas bottles filled up at the servo for work, I left them there 2 get filled while I went and done something else, came back and the guy said nah mate you can't take them both at once in your van you'll have 2 come back and get the second one!, lucky it was a work then and it gave me an excuse 2 do another road trip :)

taslucas
6th October 2012, 08:30 PM
could you cut a circle hole out of your storage system so that the bottom "foot" of the gas bottle sits down in it? Did you say you had 215mm height in your drawer? What height is your existing bottle?

Edit: can you post a pic?

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:43 PM
Have an old 4.5 kg bottle here, that has to be 400mm high, not companion or pimus style
would bcf or Rays or similar stock differt size gas bottles

taslucas
6th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Now what's that madness you ask?

My maximum hight is only 21.5cm...

That's the madness!

i think 400mm is a bit tall 3D

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:49 PM
Like the swap and go bottles. Flow has only 8.5 inches of room

taslucas
6th October 2012, 10:11 PM
My maximum hight is only 21.5cm...

Have an old 4.5 kg bottle here, that has to be 400mm high, not companion or pimus style
would bcf or Rays or similar stock differt size gas bottles

Like the swap and go bottles. Flow has only 8.5 inches of room

is it 215mm or 8.5 inches?? got to be one or the other! lmao 6 of one, half a dozen of the other hahaha

Robo
7th October 2012, 12:33 AM
Maybe they have a SCUBA tank style one, old days heaps of different sizes
now not so much
sorry off topic somewhat, but useful for someone
Apparently you can buy LPG automotive scuba style tanks these days.
Haven't seen one but something I heard.
The design is supposed to fit under rear draws, so I'm told.
daisy linked for capacity expansion

not the ones, but size of smaller ones close to" lpg scuba tank"
http://www.bluelpg.com.au/cylinders.html

my third 256
7th October 2012, 07:19 AM
take a line off lpg gas tank to run stove

NissanGQ4.2
7th October 2012, 07:32 AM
Yeh I have seen heard about the scuba tanks, but not only has he a height restriction de doesn't have much depth in the storage system either.

x2 with below, never seen it done but great idea if you legally can, you would probably have to get the work certified if doing yourself

Flo-w
7th October 2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!
Here's a photo of how it's now (and shouldn't be).

Robo
8th October 2012, 01:49 AM

Isn't the LPG gas different to stove gas and stoves require different jetting to run lpg ? or is that natural gas?.

Robo
8th October 2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!
Here's a photo of how it's now (and shouldn't be).
Do you have a vent holes in boxes incase you get a leak and also vented externally of cabin.
dont want to gas yourself while driving !
Cheers

my third 256
8th October 2012, 07:55 AM
Isn't the LPG gas different to stove gas and stoves require different jetting to run lpg ? or is that natural gas?. about the same and dont need to change jets thats natural that you do
my mate runs his barby on lpg when camping has a t off from tank and fitting at the back (outside) under car uses a long flexi hose to bbq all works fine
was done at gas fitters install place

Flo-w
8th October 2012, 05:51 PM
Do you have a vent holes in boxes incase you get a leak and also vented externally of cabin.
Cheers
There are vents in the car as standard. The boxes aren't sealed by any means.

threedogs
8th October 2012, 05:57 PM
The 90 ltr tank out of my old 4x4 is now running my mates BBQ, justs straps to back of ute to fill it..
have heard others have TEE'D off from their 4x4 tank to run a bbq, think it just burns out the jets after
a while. Know heaps who do this, If it was A Patrol Pod or such it'd be easy. Wagon not so

Flo-w
8th October 2012, 06:12 PM
That whole tapping into the car's LPG tank sounds very neet. (No gas in the car. More space in the car. "Unlimited" gas supply. Cheaper gas.)

Wouldn't there be some of that "rotten-egg" smell though? Or does that completely disappear during burning?
I reckon this would need to be done right (as in professional). Is that rather the area of a car LPG installer or of a plumbing and gasfitter for e.g. your home?

threedogs
8th October 2012, 06:44 PM
If you can find someone who knows what their doing go for it, more popular than you think.
Not 100% sure its legal, could even get a small tank intalled on the chassis sills those scuba style are for Rangies
Then you have Donut tanks, Must love your outdoor cooking.?I use those $20 cookers at camp, I'll be taking one next year to cape york
If it packs it in I can buy another anywhere, don't get sucked into buying the double one Buy 2 singles. easy peasy Plus can store cans anywhere

NissanGQ4.2
8th October 2012, 09:42 PM
Cheers
If set up correctly it would be no different to running an LPG cylinder in the back of the wagon

Is that rather the area of a car LPG installer or of a plumbing and gasfitter for e.g. your home? LPG installer mate, pretty sure a plumber / gas fitter wouldn't touch it.

Stropp
9th October 2012, 01:26 AM
Technically it's illegal to do it due the the tax difference in the gas for cooking and motor vehicles, the govt want their pound of flesh.

megatexture
9th October 2012, 02:36 AM
I’m pretty sure you not allowed a gas cylinder in the car unless it’s to refill it and it has to have a threaded bung securely in it.

Personally i wouldn’t be risking it you won’t know there’s a gas leak till it’s too late, unless the vents you are referring to are on the floor as the gas is heavier then air and will collect in the foot wells/boot

are you leaving it set up with the hose connected or do you have to set that up when you need it ?

Robo
9th October 2012, 04:07 AM
Yep, referring to vents needing to be lower than the bottle as a leak could pool-up and pose a risk.
And also allowing for a direct path for a leak to flow to said vent or it's somewhat pointless.
Safety first.
Or as one of my mates says.
one flash, and your ash

Irvs
10th October 2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah I know a bloke with a hose that hangs on the inside of the back of his van which he can use as a barby attachment or use as a place to fill the tank from a gas bottle. He's a qualified gasfitter/plumber. I have no idea if it's legal, I imagine not.

LPG from servos is basically propane but it has other sh!t in it that's bad and fouls up sh!t, it's basically the dregs at the bottom of the tank when they make other fuels.

Supagas sell pure propane as there LPG it's about 60c a litre around the corner from me in Cheltenham and that price is constant so even last week when LPG was 70c at Shell it was still cheaper. It's much better for your car too, no dirty gas to foul lines up.

Which would be a good idea particularly if you plan to cook with it.

johno90
10th October 2012, 09:03 PM
Would a small forklift bottle fit? same depth as a 9kg but is designed to be used on its side.

Robo
11th October 2012, 04:58 AM
Speaking of dirty fuel.
I had been getting alot of it black goooo that needs draining regularly hi price and crap quality fuel, typical.
caltex and shell have been bad lately.
B P seems ok at the moment.
They also discount 2 c per lt.
and it's cheaper before the docket than the so called shopper docket BS anyway.
Car also runs ok on BP. touch wood.

Flo-w
11th October 2012, 02:13 PM
Again, thank you everyone for the input, ideas and recommendations!

I asked around a bit for one of those bottles in the link I posted earlier. Nobody has ever seen it.
I also want to stay legal and therefore won't go for the car-gas option (how good would that haven been?)
In the end I went for the easiest solution, the small disposable cylinders. It's important for me that the stove stays "connected" and that I can close the kitchen drawer without moving a bigger gas bottle around. I just know myself: I won't stop for a quick cuppa if it's too much hassle. When it stops raining I'll do the alterations to the storage system and that's then hopefully it.

Pukie83
12th October 2012, 01:24 PM
not inside thats for sure

Flo-w
20th October 2012, 08:31 PM
Decided it goes on the roof rack for safety reasons.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 08:35 PM
You could make a small bracket it bolts to, or just throw it in a milk crate with some other items, Safer up there too

megatexture
20th October 2012, 09:37 PM
Just get a small stove with the. Little cylinders that slide inside it that way its no hassle and they are dirt cheep