PDA

View Full Version : Rollover noise or gearing???

tspong73
5th October 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has experienced my problem. I have searched many forums and can't seem to find anyone that has had the exact problem I am experiencing on my 2009 GU 3.0 CRD Auto (no mods - still factory).

I will try and describe in as much detail as possible and hope someone may be able to shed some light on it. I am not too keen on starting to spend thousands on diagnostics and changing unnecessary items.

Problem:
I have a vibration/noise when the vehicle is moving. It is definitely drivetrain not engine because it doesn't happen when stationary (except as I describe later). I have checked it out in 2H, 4H and 4L and the noise is still there. I have also had the gearbox in Neutral when coasting and the noise is still there. It is a rotational noise that increases frequency with speed so have ruled out cracked mounts etc.

I have also held the Transfer case in Neutral. With the gearbox also in Neutral (and the vehicle stationary) the noise is still there, but T-Case in Neutral and gearbox in Park it goes away. Interesting though that when stationary with the T-Case in anything other than Neutral, the noise doesn't exist.

This seems to indicate that it must be related to something that the flywheel is turning when the gearbox is in any gear except Park (including Neutral), and the same component is also turned from the propshaft forward because it happens when in gear or in Neutral while moving.

I initially thought it might be chain rollover but the noise sounds more like a dull knock, almost like something that is rotating and knocking against a fixed object.

Any ideas and advice for further diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Trevor.

BigRAWesty
5th October 2012, 08:46 PM
Can you hear it at low speeds, if so maybe get a friend to drive it along and you walk along side it to pin point the noise.
Or if you keen, stick it in blocks and do it.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

tspong73
5th October 2012, 09:06 PM
Had it on blocks the other day but the exact origin of the noise is still hard to pinpoint. It was still there at low speeds and sounds like transfer case but too hard to tell. What's tricky at the moment is trying to work out which components will still be spinning when the vehicle is stationary and gearbox in neutral. Tricky because the noise then only appears when the T-case is also in Neutral. No noise with T-Case in any range (4H, 4L or 2L).

tspong73
8th October 2013, 09:37 PM
Hi Forum users,

Haven't been active in a while and even though this thread hasn't had much response, I thought I would post the outcome in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

The noise was caused by small gear fragments floating around inside the T-Case. There is a set of three matched gears at the T-Case input and one of them had dropped some teeth fragments. No explanation as to why it dropped teeth and the guys that fixed it race patrols and have never done a T-Case. Possibly a manufacturing defect that was a time bomb.

Anyway - 2300 bucks later its been going good a year now.

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2013, 09:44 PM
Ghee that suxs mate, 2009, did it still have some factory warranty mate? Thanks for the update.