PDA

View Full Version : Battery box

threedogs
5th October 2012, 10:31 AM
Saw this in the repco catalogue. These are very handy around camp. I use one for lighting only,
inside mine is an 18AH motorbike size battery that will do a whole weekends lighting. I usually plug it into the solar panel during the day, but it's never failed me yet. I also use it on light poles I make, around camp, poles are extendable and hold a versa style flouro and a showerhead, but dont use flouro anymore. If for some reason it gets dark while cooking we just take a light pole and the battery pack over to the fire. also use it at the river bank, not heavy to move and using LED flood lights I'll never run out of battery. You could also mount it fixed inside your pods, camper etc. but I like mine to be portable.
Paid more than $42 for mine they used to be $90 from memory, it also has battery condition check light.

zd30elgrande
15th October 2012, 02:58 PM
My battery box is permanently under the hood and is now wired in as a dual battery system. Cost me a little over a hundred dollars from supercheap for the charging system. It's not portable like yours but does have other advantages such as charging when we drive, keeping fridge cold on the road and turning over the engine if our main battery dies.
There are times I wish it was portable but cant have both.
Cheers
Darren

Bloodyaussie
15th October 2012, 03:20 PM
I have 3 batteries because I cant get enough...........

I have a 4th battery kicking about and thought of making it into a camp light???

zd30elgrande
15th October 2012, 03:29 PM
I have to agree. The more batteries the better, but space, weight and cost always seem to win out. AGM are my choice but not cheap.

oncedisturbed
15th October 2012, 04:08 PM
I have the Projecta version of this box with an 80Ah battery as well, works a treat. Just need to wire up the cables so I can charge it whilst driving :) as I haven't got a solar kit yet

The BigFella
15th October 2012, 04:48 PM
Love your work TD, thats a good price TD, I paid just under $88.00 for mine a few years back now.
I also fitted an Anderson plug and a socket to take a Merrit plug, this way I have all my power options covered!

threedogs
15th October 2012, 05:24 PM
Think elgrando has just a Dual battery system. Most have what you describe .This battery box is for anything you want it to be.
As mentioned take it anywhere, could even leave somewhere for Toilet light. X 2 more batteries the better ATM I have 330AH
of power for the weekend with solar back up,

Big Fella posted today will arrive tomorrow, Enjoy
Good to have the different plug options in case you share or borrow.
I only use Merit mainly as its a better plug than cig

zd30elgrande
16th October 2012, 02:38 PM
Yep, dual system. But it didn't start that way, it was my portable battery much like your and then I made the switch to dual and would still love to have a portable one. Based on what you said TD, you have this setup plus dual system. Great way to go. I haven't done this because I would inevitably buy expensive AGMs all round. So I've stuck to the dual and given up on a third system
Cheers

Winnie
16th October 2012, 02:45 PM
My cousin had a quad battery setup in his shorty Safari when he bought it. 24V truck though and they were all 12V batteries so more like a big dual battery setup. 2 in bonnet and 2 in the rear. Dunno how legal that was, he's replaced them with 2 24V batteries now though and gotten ridden of the batteries in the rear.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 03:38 PM
Wow winnie thats what 120kg of batteries, Be legal as long as batteries were secure, my 3RD battery on other 4x4 was on plate
over wheel arch, 3 are fine as long as 100amp alt.

Elgrande the small battery in the BB is 18 ah thats a lot of LED lighting at camp, It used to be 100 ah but just didn't need it.
what dark in summer 9.30 we have lights out 1.30-2.00.So less than 1amp an hour for lights 5 hrs a night, plus 110 aux battery
in 4x4 and 110 deep cycle in camper. more than enough, but we have bright camp sites around meal time then tone it down

Winnie
16th October 2012, 03:45 PM
Wow winnie thats what 120kg of batteries, Be legal as long as batteries were secure, my 3RD battery on other 4x4 was on plate
over wheel arch, 3 are fine as long as 100amp alt.

They weren't secured, very dangerous IMO

threedogs
16th October 2012, 03:50 PM
Gee hope not wet lead acid, saw a guy with extra gas tank using rachet strap to secure ontop of other one.
soooo dangerous in soooo many, many ways

taslucas
16th October 2012, 04:05 PM
My cousin had a quad battery setup in his shorty Safari when he bought it. 24V truck though and they were all 12V batteries so more like a big dual battery setup. 2 in bonnet and 2 in the rear. Dunno how legal that was, he's replaced them with 2 24V batteries now though and gotten ridden of the batteries in the rear.

So he did have actual 24v batteries? Aha! I asked the question nearly a year ago and the overwhelming response on here was that you couldn't get them!? I have a old 24v MQ and wanted to change to a single 24v battery instead of running two 12v

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
16th October 2012, 04:46 PM
All I know is he told me he is now running 2x 24V batteries, I'll call him tonight. Also, the forum needs a thread on your MQ.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 05:09 PM
Want me to see if 24v batteries available for you.

MEGOMONSTER
11th November 2012, 05:44 PM
I got my battery box from Anaconda and is the Projecta brand with battery meter, merit plug and ciggie plug. Got mine for $70.00 but I think that was sale price.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.