PDA

View Full Version : DIY Engine Chip.

Chris60
20th June 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi folks,

As mentioned in my intro, I have a 1999 Nissan Patrol diesel 2.8 lite.

i've been saving money for a while now and ready to spend...This is the fun part :)

I want to get the engine chip and was wondering if you can put these in yourself.

Is it a matter of just plugging it in or does it need to be properly wired up and soldered on?

Also has anyone done this, did you notice much perfomance enhancement, would love to know your stories...

Thanks in advance.

Timbo
21st June 2010, 01:00 PM
I'd like to get one too.

Diesel Chip sell them as kits and you can follow the instructions to fit it yourself. They are pretty much plug & play from what i've read. I think it's about $1500 for the chip and maybe a dyno tune. Fair bit of money but apparently worth it on the 2.8td.

Chris60
21st June 2010, 04:40 PM
Cheers G-Unit, not cheap hey!

the evil twin
21st June 2010, 07:08 PM
A DP Chip for a CRD (Jeep, Nissan etc) engine went for $385 on Ebay the other day... and DP will reflash them and check second hand ones for you for free.

Some like the DP Chips plug and play (on the CRD's anyway), Some like the Steinbauer apparently need a connection to the throttle sensors... all I can suggest is try a bit of Googling

Chris60
21st June 2010, 08:19 PM
That's good service Evil Twin, $385 is a great price.

I'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay, thanks for the input.

I'll Google around and see what I come up with.

Timbo
22nd June 2010, 08:18 PM
Didn't know about the reflash bit.. I wouldn't have thought a company would do that knowing full well that people can just buy them cheap second hand, and get them reflashed.. they are missing out on $$$!

But, it's a good service and says a lot about the company.

4wdchip
25th June 2010, 11:05 AM
Hey guys,
The 2.8 chip wether from us, DP, Stienbauer etc is not a flash chip. The 2.8 was the first of the electronic pumps. They come with a simply screw that allows you to balance the amount of fuel to match you exhaust, boost and power needs.
Our system is a DIY Install, if you can wire up spotlights are dueal batteries you can definately fit one of these chips on your own.
Just remember to always match the chip with a high flow exhaust.

Syros GUIII 4.8
28th July 2010, 06:41 PM
I just installed one in a GU4 ZD30 crd on saturday it was from http://www.4wdchip.com.au/ roo system chip witch is rebadged tune it "I think".
thay said it would take 1/2hr or so but ended up taking about 4hrs hardest bit was connecting to the injector pump "very tight spot" but the differance to the power was amazing such a defferance. 1 word awsome. Give them a call thay are a gret compeny to deal with.

my third 256
1st August 2010, 07:02 PM
hi all have just payed for my 2007 gu6 my08 with 33k on clock .spoke to roo systems ,they said it is their own make $1450 delivered to adelaide .they were at the camping show here this weekend no discount
main benefit is in towing no saving on fuel running around town so what to do as i dont do a lot of towing
also voids warranty as patrol has 4 months to go and am putting extended warranty on it also
i think the best idear is to leave it alone what do you think regards stephen my first post
ps i pick it up tuesday

davealeno
13th September 2010, 10:01 PM
hi all, does a chip work in a 98 2.8 td?

fred
20th September 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi all, is there is thread for chipping a GU IV Patrol?

my third 256
31st October 2010, 04:29 AM
hi again have just purchaced a no limit diesel chip on ebay wanted $149 for it had a make an offer .offered $130 and was accepted postage ftom germany registered was $10 so all up $140
took 2 weeks to arive and 5 minuites to install how easy was that but had to get a waterproof enclosure to put it in went to jcar and got one for $15 they asked if they could have a look inside
and the fella recons theres about $30 af stuff inside just like all the other brands he has inspected
what a rip off if you pay the $1400 for other brands
well now we put it in and went for a drive up the freeway to murray bridge and back about 130 km round trip plenty of hills
my mate a diesel mechanic with the metro fire dept came for a ride as he had driven my patrol
yes more power when the boot went in up the hills ,idles lower ,revs lower when crusing .
filled with diesel and better fuel economy about 1.5 ltrs so all in all am very happy and mate had a drive also to confirm my findings and he agreed with me so now he has ordered one for his patrol
just one thing though they unly make then for common rail
imfo on these at http://No limit tuning
thanks for reading this owell if i only blow $140 i can live with that not $1400
regards stephen

Ruby
3rd April 2011, 01:53 AM
Are chips only for Diesels or are the for Petrol/LPG engines as well

Ted
3rd April 2011, 02:10 AM
I'm pretty sure chipping a petrol engine without a turbo wouldn't do much except for maybe giving you a little better fuel economy.

YNOT
3rd April 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm pretty sure chipping a petrol engine without a turbo wouldn't do much except for maybe giving you a little better fuel economy.

Correct, the chip on it's own will do very little. The money would be better spent on a full extractor exhaust system.

Tony