PDA

View Full Version : Had 2006 stl Auto RAC checked.....some advice required please..thanks

Jawa
4th October 2012, 09:21 AM
Well I got the report back from RAC for the 2006 Nissan stl Patrol wagon , and I am now going to buy the vehicle , it is from an old mate.

All appears great on the report other than they mentioned that the transfer case oil was very dirty and that the trailing arm mount bushes were cracked....my question is ...is replacing the Trailing arms bushes a big job? and also what is the best oil to replace in the transfer case.

My mate was livered about the dirty oil as he was led to believe that would be done at his regular servicing if required....obviously not. Or ...if it was changed any reason why it would get dirty so quick?

Thanks , Jawa

growler2058
4th October 2012, 09:30 AM
Trailing arm bushes are very easy just make sure you get genuine nissan for any bushes, they may need to be pressed in and out would be the only difficulty
I try to change my diff/gbox/tnsfer every 5k but often goes to 10k

Double Tap

Jawa
4th October 2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Double Tap ....I assume I should stay with the rubber bushes, I am aware that there are those other types ( like hard plastic ) but not sure how good they are.

Should I use the standard recommended oil for the transfer case...or do you use a special type / brand that mey be better?
Thanks again

snewin
4th October 2012, 09:39 AM
I agree with Double Tap :bananadancing:.

Definitely the genuine rubber bushes and 5 or 10k drop the fluids in the boxes.

Jawa
4th October 2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks Snewin...and my appology to double tap....just worked out how to do the Thank you icon on the post.. which I should of done before...regards jawa

nissannewby
4th October 2012, 10:34 AM
X3 genuine rubber bushes and for your transfer I would use something like castrol VMX 80 its what most nissan dealers tend to put in the g/box and t/case

threedogs
4th October 2012, 10:39 AM
Hey double tap LMFAO, how come you change gearbox trans oil so often?? perhaps bog holes????

growler2058
4th October 2012, 10:57 AM
Hey double tap LMFAO, how come you change gearbox trans oil so often?? perhaps bog holes????

Apart from the "books recommendation" my box is well in excess of 500k young so any extra help she gets I figure can't hurt. I reckon I was the first owner in 500k to change it and the tnsfr and diffs;-)

Double Tap

GUtsy ute
4th October 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Double Tap, "son" of Double Faucet, how's things?
Shame you couldn't make the meetup, could have had a family reunion!
Regards to Agatha.

BearGUST
4th October 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I put ATF in my transfer case... Dexron 3.

tecdiverdude
19th October 2012, 10:22 AM
The genuine bushes are softer and allow more wheel travel, when I was building A frame rear suspension for my old GQ I found the genuine bushes lasted better and gave better travel,I still dont trust the polyurethane bushes, if they were that good, why arent they standard?

Dexron 3? :O in the transfer case? I would think a good gear oil 80w would be recommended.
its just a case filled with sprockets and a chain.

jff45
21st October 2012, 07:52 AM
The genuine bushes are softer and allow more wheel travel, when I was building A frame rear suspension for my old GQ I found the genuine bushes lasted better and gave better travel,I still dont trust the polyurethane bushes, if they were that good, why arent they standard?

Dexron 3? :O in the transfer case? I would think a good gear oil 80w would be recommended.
its just a case filled with sprockets and a chain.

The reason for using dexron is mainly for cold climate areas where gear oil would be thicker and was found to turn the front tailshaft and, consequently, lock the auto hubs in..

Another reason that only applies to autos is that, if the sealing integrity between the auto trans and the transfer is compromised, the mixing of the oils won't do any harm..