PDA

View Full Version : Hema or Mud Map

Superoo
3rd October 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi I've been searching forums for a while now on this subject, I thought I would try here.
I've recently purchased a new iPad 3G and want to install Hema or Mudmaps on it.
Does anyone have any knowledge on this.
Cheers.

mark33
4th October 2012, 09:18 PM
hi mate i have mud maps on my ipad i bought the top package i think it was around $70 but it gives you smart topo, vms,gregorys, nsw state ,nat geo wold map, google road mapand satellite
maps plus if you are using any map at your location you can scroll between all to maps showing your currant location i love but can not speak for hema as i have never used them.

MudMap
2nd October 2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Superoo,

Thank you very much for your question. Both apps are great and you wouldn't go wrong either way. The couple of features that are on MUDMAP that are not on other 4WD navigation apps are as follows:

a) interactive campsites: Mud Map 2 includes over 4,000 interactive campsites and caravan parks with photos, descriptions, reviews and facility info all added by the community
b) auto sync: Mud Map 2 provides you with a personal account online which automatically syncs all your trip data and maps with your device. This means even if you loose your device you will always have all of your maps and trip info safely backed up on your account.
c) THEMAP: Mud Map is the only app in Australia that offers an interactive vector map that works offline with no internet or phone reception. THEMAP changes detail level depending on your zoom level; allows you to tap on roads and POIs to find out more info and allows the community to verify map data by sending GPS signals to the mapping platform
d) free monthly map updates for life: Mud Map 2 provides users with free monthly map updates for the life of the app
e) over 100, 000 additional POIs: as well as the interactive campsites and caravan parks, Mud Map 2 also offers over 100,000 additional POIs including boat ramps, petrol stations, parks, tourist attractions and many more.

I hope this response has covered some of the benefits of Mud Map when compared to other navigation apps. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

MudRunnerTD
2nd October 2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Superoo,

Thank you very much for your question. Both apps are great and you wouldn't go wrong either way. The couple of features that are on MUDMAP that are not on other 4WD navigation apps are as follows:

a) interactive campsites: Mud Map 2 includes over 4,000 interactive campsites and caravan parks with photos, descriptions, reviews and facility info all added by the community
b) auto sync: Mud Map 2 provides you with a personal account online which automatically syncs all your trip data and maps with your device. This means even if you loose your device you will always have all of your maps and trip info safely backed up on your account.
c) THEMAP: Mud Map is the only app in Australia that offers an interactive vector map that works offline with no internet or phone reception. THEMAP changes detail level depending on your zoom level; allows you to tap on roads and POIs to find out more info and allows the community to verify map data by sending GPS signals to the mapping platform
d) free monthly map updates for life: Mud Map 2 provides users with free monthly map updates for the life of the app
e) over 100, 000 additional POIs: as well as the interactive campsites and caravan parks, Mud Map 2 also offers over 100,000 additional POIs including boat ramps, petrol stations, parks, tourist attractions and many more.

I hope this response has covered some of the benefits of Mud Map when compared to other navigation apps. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

Hey Maria, thanks for your support here, how is your application to become a Vendor Sponsor going?

Drewboyaus
2nd October 2013, 04:32 PM
Just make sure they dont obsolete this version of Mud Map on you as they have done so some of those who bought MMHD expecting future new features and info like campsites etc. to be added to the application. Instead they created a "new" application that has those features while the rest of use use the superseeded version (search the forum to find the thread and make up your own mind).
My clear vote is with Hema/Memory Map as there is a PC applicatin that makes planning and viewing easier than doing it on the iPad (a-la MudMap). Perhaps this will be a future feature of MMHD2 next year that you will miss out on......
Cheers

NP99
2nd October 2013, 07:22 PM
Just make sure they dont obsolete this version of Mud Map on you as they have done so some of those who bought MMHD expecting future new features and info like campsites etc. to be added to the application. Instead they created a "new" application that has those features while the rest of use use the superseeded version (search the forum to find the thread and make up your own mind).
My clear vote is with Hema/Memory Map as there is a PC applicatin that makes planning and viewing easier than doing it on the iPad (a-la MudMap). Perhaps this will be a future feature of MMHD2 next year that you will miss out on......
Cheers

Surely we are not the only two here to feel this way?

MudRunnerTD
2nd October 2013, 07:35 PM
Cheers

Surely we are not the only two here to feel this way?

No I think if I had spent $150 on their App I would be dirty too. I get though the position of MM on the release of their new product. Apple do this and it is what it is. If MM are going to continue to support the MMHD for the future then they are fulfilling their obligation the the end User. As I have read my understanding is that there are some fundamental differences and additions to the new App Mudmap2 and it sounds exciting.

It's a tough gig though and I appreciate your disappointment. Maybe an effort by MM to offer a better rebate would have helped this a little. But for them, where do they draw the line? At some point someone will be on the wrong side of that line.

Maybe something like $12.50 per month ($150 divided by 12 months) for every month you have owned it paid in rent and then to hand back your license rights and the rest is rebated off the purchase of the new MM2??? So for drew that would be $75 off the price of the new MM2.?? That also draws the line at 12 months?

Don't know? It's tough? It's clear though that their intention is to support the MMHD into the future so the grievance, in my opinion, is not outright and as long as MMHD is developed their obligation is complete.

My2c

Avo
2nd October 2013, 07:41 PM
I just had a laugh at the fact the first to post are from nearly a yr ago....Well 2 days short of a yr....Some body has been searching there name haven't they......

MudRunnerTD
2nd October 2013, 07:48 PM
I just had a laugh at the fact the first to post are from nearly a yr ago....Well 2 days short of a yr....Some body has been searching there name haven't they......

Yes they were busy today dragging old threads all over the place. They have embedded their blog links here a number of times Today and their activity and membership is being reviewed by the Boss now on the basis that they may become a vendor sponsor..... Happy to delete the embedded links at some point though ;) it's easy to do ;)

Drewboyaus
2nd October 2013, 09:17 PM
I notice in a thread from earlier this year it was mentioned that MMHD was on special in April for $70 or $90 or something.....
That was only 2 weeks before the release of MM2.
And Daz, what you said earlier about a rebate based on how long you owned it before it was obsoleted is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm happy to pay an "upgrade fee" and relinquish my rights to MMHD. That is the option that should be put forward and as you suggest it could be limited to 6 or 12 months from the release date of MM2.
I don't want something for nothing because that ain't realistic I just want some fairness rather than just having to pick bits of pineapple out of my a.....

MudMap
3rd October 2013, 12:44 PM
Hey Maria, thanks for your support here, how is your application to become a Vendor Sponsor going?

Very well thanks MudRunner, I have made the payment today. Happy to be on board.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

MudMap
3rd October 2013, 12:49 PM
Yes they were busy today dragging old threads all over the place. They have embedded their blog links here a number of times Today and their activity and membership is being reviewed by the Boss now on the basis that they may become a vendor sponsor..... Happy to delete the embedded links at some point though ;) it's easy to do ;)

Hey MudRunner,

Is it Ok to provide links it they are on topic or is there no links permitted at all? The links provided were based on questions made by community members e.g. "tips on Fraser Island" a link was provided to the Fraser Island 4WD Guide. Is this permitted? If not you are welcome to remove them.

Cheers,
Maria from MUDMAP

MudMap
3rd October 2013, 12:52 PM

Hi wa 489,

Lol yes got a few requests to hop on board via Facebook so did a search to try to answer as many of the Mud Map question as possible. ha ha ha!

Cheers,
Maria from MUDMAP

MudRunnerTD
3rd October 2013, 01:05 PM
Hey MudRunner,

Is it Ok to provide links it they are on topic or is there no links permitted at all? The links provided were based on questions made by community members e.g. "tips on Fraser Island" a link was provided to the Fraser Island 4WD Guide. Is this permitted? If not you are welcome to remove them.

Cheers,
Maria from MUDMAP

Hi Maria,

No your fine, I was very conscious though that you were advertising your forum and blog and product but not a Vendor. We need to manage this.

To be honest though I would probably prefer you to repost that Info here on the forum as a general rule rather than link offsite if you can, AB may have a different spin on that but for me it's very important that the Forum is supported and its Knowledge base is resourced and continues to develop.

Even if you want to "Quote yourself" when you post stuff would be fine.

If your keen to remain active, and I think you are, then our Forum will respect your contribution greatly if it is a Contribution here rather than a link offsite.

Once AB processes your Vendor application you will have access to your Own Sub-forum here depending on your level of Vendor sponsorship and then your welcome to advertise your products as much as you like.

AB
3rd October 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Maria,

No your fine, I was very conscious though that you were advertising your forum and blog and product but not a Vendor. We need to manage this.

To be honest though I would probably prefer you to repost that Info here on the forum as a general rule rather than link offsite if you can, AB may have a different spin on that but for me it's very important that the Forum is supported and its Knowledge base is resourced and continues to develop.

Even if you want to "Quote yourself" when you post stuff would be fine.

If your keen to remain active, and I think you are, then our Forum will respect your contribution greatly if it is a Contribution here rather than a link offsite.

Once AB processes your Vendor application you will have access to your Own Sub-forum here depending on your level of Vendor sponsorship and then your welcome to advertise your products as much as you like.

Thanks Dazz and welcome to the forum MudMaps as our latest Vendor Sponsor.

It's great to see you support the forum and whilst It's ok to promote your business and website through your new forum located here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?141-Mud-Maps) it is advised to try and keep the visitors on track within the forum and to keep the continuity of the threads in one place.

I know many of us as regular users of many forums it can be hard jumping around to different sites to get information and answers so where possible if you are referencing information off the site simply click on this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/editor/quote.png icon and paste the information in the pop up whilst you type your answer.

It brings continuity to the people reading and makes for a great read on page and is very handy for the end users which will be your customers now that you are on board with us:D

MudRunnerTD
3rd October 2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks Dazz and welcome to the forum MudMaps as our latest Vendor Sponsor.

It's great to see you support the forum and whilst It's ok to promote your business and website through your new forum located here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?141-Mud-Maps) it is advised to try and keep the visitors on track within the forum and to keep the continuity of the threads in one place.

I know many of us as regular users of many forums it can be hard jumping around to different sites to get information and answers so where possible if you are referencing information off the site simply click on this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/editor/quote.png icon and paste the information in the pop up whilst you type your answer.

It brings continuity to the people reading and makes for a great read on page and is very handy for the end users which will be your customers now that you are on board with us:D

Holy carp AB!!!! I have NEVER used that button! Is that what it does! Well that will be handy!!

oilburner98
17th November 2013, 12:28 AM
G'day all,

I have an iPad with hema, a GNS5870 external GPS receiver and it all works well. The hema app does what it says it does.

GNS GPS receiver works bloody well,

Hema maps show you where you are,

Simple.

Stropp
17th November 2013, 01:16 AM
I too have an ipad with hema on it but I find a lot of the tracks are not on the maps, I have also purchased an android tablet with Ozzie explorer to see what the difference is, will be interesting.

Drewboyaus
17th November 2013, 06:49 AM
I too have an ipad with hema on it but I find a lot of the tracks are not on the maps, I have also purchased an android tablet with Ozzie explorer to see what the difference is, will be interesting.

Stropp, you can scan your own maps and calibrate into the Hema app. I produced a guide that is located on here.
I think you'll find, though much more feature rich, Ozzie explorer has a much steeper learning curve than the Hema (Memory Map) app.

Cuppa
17th November 2013, 11:31 AM
I have the Hema app too & quite like it. To date I have only used the maps supplied with it which are mainly the same as in their books, but show you where you are on the map. There are several larger scale 4wd maps included too. So far I’ve only used the Vic High country one of those, & felt totally secure knowing where we were on tracks. Earlier in this thread it was stated that Mud Maps were the only app to work without need for the net or phone reception. This is not so, the Hema app works just fine without a signal, it’d be a bit pointless if it didn’t. I do wish that it was also a ‘navigator’ so it could be useful in towns (i.e. giving directions) but this is not it’s design. It shows you where you are on the map, & you can put in routes before you travel & it will tell you how far travelled/left to go/to the next turn off etc. I also like the ability to mark favourite spots on the map (e.g.. camp spots) which are then easily exportable as grid references straight to email. One day I might look at putting more large scale maps on, but my previous look at this only served to confuse me. The app does come with all of Australia covered which is fine for touring, but for getting off the beaten track anywhere other than the more popular 4wd areas would require additional maps. I’m sure they must be easy enough to download, but this little bunny hasn’t worked out how yet.
Have never seen the ‘competition’.

Cuppa

Winnie
17th November 2013, 11:43 AM
I need to get an app or even just a map pack for Memory Map that covers Australia. I've got maps that cover most of the Vic high country but would like something for other trips I might do.

Drewboyaus
17th November 2013, 12:20 PM
You can buy map packs through the online shop.
You can even impor some Ozzie Explorer maps.
My preference though is to calibrate my own.
Cuppa, check out my how to mate, it shows how to import and calibrate maps. Tou can also download the free PC app that let's you set tracks and waypoints etc in the PC which is a bit easier than doing it in the app.
For those that don't know, the Hema app is the same as Memory Map just with the Hema maps bundled.

Cuppa
17th November 2013, 07:01 PM
Cuppa, check out my how to mate, it shows how to import and calibrate maps. You can also download the free PC app that let's you set tracks and waypoints etc in the PC which is a bit easier than doing it in the app.

I’ll have to have another look, but I think I struggled with it. Maybe because I don’t have a PC (have a mac).

outback
17th November 2013, 07:22 PM
I’ll have to have another look, but I think I struggled with it. Maybe because I don’t have a PC (have a mac).

If you are able to run Parallels on your Mac with something basic as Win XP you can use the Oziexplorer program or the Hema one that comes with the GPS.

Stropp
18th November 2013, 12:36 AM

Yep me too cuppa, too complex for me.