PDA

View Full Version : overheating 02 3 litre

Morton
1st October 2012, 07:53 PM
this weekend we went away, towing the camper & the first hill she heats up off the dial, second decent hill & same again, switched the camper over to a mate GU & the next 3 hours are uneventfull, when for a scenic run Sunday morning & driving up dirt hills in 2nd or 3rd & overheats again twice more, Sunday arvo actually get into 4wd no issues for an hour r so, back on the dirt rd in 2wd & first hill she is hot again, when this was happening I hit a small pot hole & the gauge dropped from red to 3/4, stayed for 15 seconds then went down to below half in less than 30 seconds, each time it comes down to normal in a minute or so,

Thermostat? sensor? collapsed hose (is it the bottom one normally)? it was very frustating but no warning lights on

threedogs
1st October 2012, 08:01 PM
Was it boiling or just getting hot by the guage???

Morton
1st October 2012, 09:47 PM
gauge only

teleman
3rd October 2012, 04:08 PM
Hopefully just a faulty gauge. Maybe get egt and pyro as I will doing as soon as I get my troll back. :)

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 04:31 PM
X 2 with above you really need to know whats going on with these motors.
possibly just a bad earth on the gauge, check and re do all earths if possible.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd October 2012, 06:55 PM
Hopefully just a faulty gauge. Maybe get egt and pyro as I will doing as soon as I get my troll back. :)

This is definitely what you need.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 07:20 PM
Hate it Mego when you put those old pics of me up,
you know I'm off the roids now,lol
I only got Speco guages

What the heck do they monitor volts as well??

megatexture
3rd October 2012, 07:34 PM
top ones boost/ pyro bottom as a dual volt gauge, i prefer a digital one as they shows a more accurate reading to .1 of a volt but they look good

the sensor its self would be an earth it must just need replaceing must be dodgy pos+ or sensor internal fault

macca86
3rd October 2012, 10:41 PM
When was your last coolant flush also your thermostat might be broke as its not hot all the time or you have air in the system

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 10:53 PM
I was warned off the digital ,cause of the flickering effect?
But I'm with you would love them, I like the look. More modern than White guages

Morton
4th October 2012, 10:55 PM
I had it flushed out just before as it was heating up under load, will check it all in a cpl weeks as I am off to Bathurst tomorrow for our annual migration, I will replace the thermostat & chase down & check the temp. sensor (location anyone?) fluid levels where good, thermofan kicks in, actually it doesnt kick in when it is saying it is megahot but works as it kicks in with the AC on, I had to have the AC on before the hills to keep it that bit cooler, I think it will be a case of process of elimination, hopefully just a sticky thermostat

schanmala
5th October 2012, 04:00 PM
Hi,

Get a water temp gauge. I never trust the stock needle. They change to rapidly.

Try cracking the cabin heater on max and max fan. See if it makes a difference.