PDA

View Full Version : HELP DIY Diff Breather Problem!

richardharris51
28th September 2012, 10:18 PM
Hello there,

Before i start i think it is important to say that i am a mechanical novice and other that fitting roof racks and an awning etc I haven't done anything too fiddly.

So i was going to install some diff breathers tomorrow morning, I have been looking forward to it all week.

I thought it would be something easy to get me started!!

A couple of weeks ago i brought a piranha diff breather kit and I have just opened it. It is complete and looked pretty easy, so i have just been under the GQ to have a look at where to run the hoses.

So then i realize that as i have just had ARB air-lockers installed (last week) the hoses are already running from the diffs to the engine bay.

so my questions are:

1) as i have air lockers do i still need to run the breather kit??
2) if i do where the hell do i connect the breather hoses to??

thanks for your help and answers

Richard 'the wanna be' mechanic

MudRunnerTD
28th September 2012, 10:28 PM
Yes you still need the breather kit mate. The air locker line will not do the job for you as they are busy pumping air into your shiny new lockers ;)

Have a look and you will find that the factory breathers are coming out the top of each diff and the back one goes to the chassis cross member. Your going to replace this line and take it from the top of the diff to the engine bay. Should be easy for you just tie it with zip ties to the locker lines as they should have been run up nice and high out of the way.

Make sure to leave enough slack in the line at the diff end to allow for the suspension travel. Take a lead from the air locker line, note there should be a little slack there.

Have fun mate! Good luck. You'll be right

richardharris51
28th September 2012, 10:39 PM
thanks for that mud runner

just so i am clear, the locker air line runs to the top of the diff also

so realistically there are two places to add the hose on the top of the diff housing

one for the air locker and another for the diff breather??

cheers

Richard

threedogs
28th September 2012, 10:47 PM
The hoses already there are to activate the locker, You'll see some rubber hose about 400mm long on top, this you'll need to replace these, make sure on full flex theres plenty of slack.
and keep well away from exhaust and sharp edges. plenty of cable ties, cut these flush with knife not plyers

richardharris51
28th September 2012, 10:57 PM
hey threedogs and mudrunnertd,

so i have just had a look for the second time tonight and i can see the two other connections that your talking about.

I will have a go tomorrow and get it done.

Thanks for the help, you two always respond to my posts

thanks

Richard

threedogs
28th September 2012, 11:11 PM
If you are unscrewing th OE fitting and using one from the kit, a bit of teflon tape will work a treat Where abouts in Melb are you

ashleylipus
2nd October 2012, 08:43 PM
always someone close by who is happy to pop past n help you out

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 09:40 PM
Richard any update yet??