PDA

View Full Version : How to remove rubber pads from GU NIssan alloy bullbar

jff45
28th September 2012, 07:41 AM
I need to remove the 2 rubber pads from my alloy bar so I can polish it properly.
I see they're held on by a single screw each and it logically looks like the 2 plastic rectangles in the front (that have 'NISSAN' written on them) should just pop off but I've tried both sides using quite a bit of force but they won't move.
I'm concerned about snapping them because you probably can't buy them..

Thanks!

threedogs
28th September 2012, 07:52 AM
Don't know, have you got a pic, maybe nut/bolt behind logo???
Logo might be glued

BearGUST
28th September 2012, 08:48 AM
If it's the ones I'm thinking of there is a screw that holds them on which is behind the Nissan logo... You need to peel the sticker off to access the screw/bolt.

jff45
28th September 2012, 09:38 AM
If it's the ones I'm thinking of there is a screw that holds them on which is behind the Nissan logo... You need to peel the sticker off to access the screw/bolt.

Ah, that's why the plastic rectangle won't pop off when I slide a putty knife behind it. It's acting as a washer for the screw head.

Many thanks! Just glad I didn't insist too much trying to lever the plastic out :-)

jff45
28th September 2012, 11:12 AM
Turns out that the plastic rectangle just pops out after all. I started to lift the sticker and quickly decided that wasn't possible without damage so I drilled a 14mm hole to get a small socket down to unscrew it.
Once removed I was able to dismantle and see how it fitted.
I'm surprised it needed that much force but they've been in there for over 10 years and the rubber has obviously hardened a bit.
If I can't but new ones I'll just make a metal plate to cover the old stickers..

Took a pic for future info for anyone else.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/JFF45/GUrubber.jpg

BearGUST
28th September 2012, 11:31 AM
They're a little different to the ones I had, must have been a change sometime in production.
Sorry to make you peel the sticker off!

jff45
28th September 2012, 11:52 AM
They're a little different to the ones I had, must have been a change sometime in production.
Sorry to make you peel the sticker off!

Nothing to be sorry about.. It was my decision to try it and I'm even glad I now have an excuse to make something nicer :-)

threedogs
28th September 2012, 01:28 PM
Piece of polished aluminium or stainless would look OE, no big drama