PDA

View Full Version : Shock Absorbers - What's Best and Why

Bigrig
3rd November 2010, 03:09 PM
Put new shocks on the GQ last night - set of 3" EFS 35mm bore jobbies ... seems good in the drive, and nowhere near as 'rigid' as the last set- will allow a bit more drop in the front end too which is what I was after as the old ones were bottoming out ... they come with a 3 year/100K warranty and cost me $532 for the whole 4 - I thought that was alright. Yep, I know there's better out there, but these suited my timing and my budget, and I figure if I cane the beejeezers out of them and they break, I get a new set under warranty ...

They're definitely NOT the best shocks I know, but I'm not going to put $1400 worth of shock absorbers on a car I paid under $9K for (and that price includes the 3 year new car warranty - aftermarket).

Over to you ...

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 09:36 PM
I put a set of OME on my last car. They were really good. I will probably put them on my new car as well when I start doing my mods.
Cadbury

Bigrig
3rd November 2010, 09:43 PM
I put a set of OME on my last car. They were really good. I will probably put them on my new car as well when I start doing my mods.
Cadbury

Nearly went OME - they weren't that much more, but the travel open length of both front and back was pretty ordinary. What height lift did you have with the old set?
Thanks mate

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 09:57 PM
It was only a 2" lift. I am very new to the 4X4 game

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 10:25 AM
Ahhh ... that's why - The OME shock setup is for 2" specifically - I chose the 3" from EFS as they have about 40mm more tavel in the front, and about 70mm more travel in the rear (even though they are setup for 1 additional inch???). I'll let you know how they go after this weekend (at a 4WD park for 3 days, so they will no doubt get a workout).

gec
4th November 2010, 11:28 AM
I have OME on my truck and thats got a 4 inch lift

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 11:55 AM
Where did you get them?? ARB at capalaba told me that I'd have to go another brand as OME don't do anything beyond 2" - is that the case now (i.e. they are only selling them now), or are ARB full of the proverbial??

Bloggsy
4th November 2010, 12:13 PM
When I was shopping around recently I was told by ARB that they only do a 2" shock, but they do, as what they term, a "comp spec shock" ie. those over 2". Probably just a legality thing on their part. At the time they did not do them in their newer sports shock, only the original Nitro ones.

gec
4th November 2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah the springs had a little sticker saying not for road use so must be comp spec gear,the mob I bought it off never said anything about it just told me they sell em and promised to get it all legal before handing it back to me

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks mate - figured there was something amiss here ... at least I know the boys at ARB weren't feeding it to me.

mike
5th November 2010, 10:36 PM
Always had ome and never had a problem only got a 2'' lift tho'

Cheers Mike

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 01:24 AM
itll ride heaps better with fully adj shocks and ext res

YNOT
8th December 2010, 06:48 AM
itll ride heaps better with fully adj shocks and ext res

Not necessarily, ride comfort from shocks has more to do with how well the shocks are valved to match the springs. A fully adjustable shock still has to be adjusted correctly to achieve good handling and a smooth ride.

External reservoir shocks are used to increase the oil volume of the shock absorber to reduce the chances of the shock "fading". Fading occurs when the shocks are working so hard (eg. driving on corrugations for extended periods) the the oil over heats and aerates. Aerated oil can not be controlled by the shock valving, so the shock absorber is no longer able to control spring movement. It is only under these extreme conditions that a external (or remote) reservoir shock will maintain the ride comfort, they won't actually improve it.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 11:58 AM
Not necessarily, ride comfort from shocks has more to do with how well the shocks are valved to match the springs. A fully adjustable shock still has to be adjusted correctly to achieve good handling and a smooth ride.

External reservoir shocks are used to increase the oil volume of the shock absorber to reduce the chances of the shock "fading". Fading occurs when the shocks are working so hard (eg. driving on corrugations for extended periods) the the oil over heats and aerates. Aerated oil can not be controlled by the shock valving, so the shock absorber is no longer able to control spring movement. It is only under these extreme conditions that a external (or remote) reservoir shock will maintain the ride comfort, they won't actually improve it.

Tony

EXACTLY RIGHT.

Not sure you can buy an adjustable with a remote reservoir anyways??

Re the OP. I have a full OME 3" set up n the GU IV and love it. reckon its awesome to be honest. Yes the 3" OME is for Comp Use only and came with NO WARRANTY but i figured i have another set that i took off the GQ and that was good for 150,000kms without a prob, if i wreck one shock in the time oh well..

OME is a winner here for sure. Great Aussie product as a good price.

Dark 1
9th December 2010, 05:40 PM
Cadbury

Had those on the gu when i first bought them & after one trip to the cape & around 30 00klms the 2 rears failed , oil leaking out of them, & 1 front was bent. Yeh i know there's much better & worse but i personally wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot barge pole. I've put the new TJM gold editions on since & have done approx 22 000klms without fault.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Kelvin.

v.t.c 4800
10th December 2010, 04:51 AM
old man is the best

wogboy
31st January 2011, 11:29 PM
What's the good price for 2'' OME lift as I was quoted $1270 for 4 springs and 4 sport shocks?

wogboy
12th February 2011, 09:35 AM
OME - no warranty if you install it yourself.
At the end I bought Dobinsons springs, Lovells shocks and White Line links.

Rick
20th February 2011, 12:20 PM
I just fitted Tough Dogs foamcell payed $650 for the four of them.......reason behind the dession was because they have a larger bore and piston to share the load....

thin on top
20th February 2011, 11:00 PM
I just fitted Tough Dogs foamcell payed $650 for the four of them.......reason behind the dession was because they have a larger bore and piston to share the load....
Never heard of Tough Dogs, but agree with what ya say :)

Going back a few years I spent 2 weeks with Gabriel in USA, was interesting time going through the research and devlopment, fitting training school, and then toured the factory.

And to of you who say I wouldnt touch a Gabriel. I saw a lot of product going into boxs with names the get a good mention here and leaving the Gabriel factory.
From what I learnt back then, the bigger the piston the better dampening and yes cosed foam cell controls airation of the oil

Whitewulf
21st February 2011, 11:58 AM
I was going to go Tough Dog, but ended up with Old Man Emu, ARB at Morayfield had an open day and I took advantage of the deals.

Heheh just worked out what OME stand for :1087:

big_fletch
21st February 2011, 09:09 PM
Anyone that's looking might I suggest rox shocks by ridepro?? 46mm shock and extremely comfortable to ride on, I have been very impressed by them

Fletcha