PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 01:18 PM
Hi all, I have a 1999 GU 4500 ST auto which is stock standard. I am getting about 19 l /100km does that sound about right. What is everyone else getting. Does putting on a snorkel or bigger exhaust help with fuel?
Cadbury

patch697
3rd November 2010, 02:07 PM
As a precaution I would do a fall service & tune before you do any mods so you have a good starting point to work from & as you've just got it, for me that would also give me some piece of mind knowing its done.

Bigrig
3rd November 2010, 02:10 PM
Hey mate - sounds about right - the 4.5 is a thirsty beast (I'm doing well over 20l/100 in my 4.2 petrol !!) ... a snorkel will help the car breath better, but I'm not so sure about all the hype around getting 'better' fuel economy - two reasons for this:
1. if the air/fuel mix is burning better, then you actually end up with more power - not reduced consumption as such - so with more power, if you drive the same way, you don't need to give it as much throttle to get the same results, hence use less fuel (ergo, the mis noma that it improves fuel consumption)
2. most people (not all, but most) tend to use the extra power and get up and going etc quicker - hence you end up using the same (if not more) fuel - some tend to complain then that they got no fuel consumption benefits, but completely dismiss the fact they got the extra power (or didn't even notice it).

My only disclaimer to the above is long distance touring - that is where you get the best results (IMHO) - the air intake is up off the road heat, dust extra, is being forced down the ram by the velocity of the car, gives more bang for you buck due to the cleaner air/fuel mix, and subsequently fuel consumption drops. No matter what I say above, everyone's driving style differs, and hence eveyone's opinion on the result will differ also.

I've had two fourbies that I bought with no snorkel (Hilux and GU Patrol), put the snorkel on, and have to be honest and say, noticed very little difference other than the fact I could now traverse through deeper water (breathers required also of course - diffs, gearbox and transfer case).

Depends on your budget mate, but installing a snorkel is not the number 1 "decrease my fuel consumption" item on most people's list ... it may assist as said in the conditions above, but decreasing fuel consumption is a secondary purpose of the snorkel ... happy to be wrong and knowing the lads on this forum, I'm sure they'll be none to pleased to tell me!!!! Bring it on boys!!! LOL

Not sure about the government rebates still happening on LPG installations, but that is what I'd be doing (if the rebates are still in place) as your consumption can stay right where it is, but you're only paying 60 cents per litre as opposed to $1.30+ ...

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 04:31 PM
Well guys, thanks for the great feedback.
Cadbury

DX grunt
3rd November 2010, 05:13 PM
I get about 16l/100k. My truck hates head winds. With the pod sticking out about 6 inches all round the cab, it's not a happy fuel tank!

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 09:59 PM
16L/100 Man thats good.

Spoons
4th November 2010, 08:00 AM
Without the caravan, around town and on the highway we get around 10 - 11L/100km. With the van on the back (on the trip we are on now) worst was about 18.5 and best was about 15.5.

Still looking for better ecconomy all the time.

Cadbury
4th November 2010, 08:47 AM
Spoons, What patrol do you have that gets such good consumption.

YNOT
4th November 2010, 10:19 AM
DX grunt (Ross) and Spoons both have 4.2 diesels, Spoons also has LPG.

Tony

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 10:29 AM
something to be said for the diesels (other than all the other positive points) - I would be lucky to crack 18L/100 on the open road with the air con off, all windows up, no-one on board, all the seats removed, the dash stripped down, the panel work removed, sitting in the tail wind of a B double, going downhill, with a tow rope attached (to the B double) and in neutral ... well, that's what I reckon anyway!! LOL

gec
4th November 2010, 11:25 AM
Wow Im pretty happy gettin 17/100 out of my Patrol fully loaded then

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 11:57 AM
17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... oops, sorry lads, dropped off into a bit of a daydream there ...

Bob
4th November 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a 1998 4.5 litre on Petrol/Gas. Not sure what the consumption on Petrol is but on Gas I get 18l/100k's on a trip. Towing a Camper Trailer I get abount 23l/100k

gec
4th November 2010, 02:26 PM
17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... 17 litres per 100 klms ... oops, sorry lads, dropped off into a bit of a daydream there ...

Sorry bigrig but I also have a 5.7 V8 with 4 inch lift and 33s,steel bullbar, winch, draws full of tools and recovery gear and a 40 liter Engel in her all the time, I hope that doesn't make you feel worse hehe

Spoons
4th November 2010, 04:09 PM
Spoons, What patrol do you have that gets such good consumption.

02 4.2TDT, LPG, 3" exhaust, snorkel, K & N air filter, CEM fuel conditioning (Decarbonizer and Clean Fuel), fully synthetic oil in gearbox, transfer case and diffs, just had fuel pump tweaked and car dynoed (140HP), light right foot (unless I feel like proving a point). At the moment (after the pump tweak and dyno) it is going like a rocket. Very easy to forget yourself and be way above the speed limit. Cost a bit but well worth it.

Bigrig
4th November 2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry bigrig but I also have a 5.7 V8 with 4 inch lift and 33s,steel bullbar, winch, draws full of tools and recovery gear and a 40 liter Engel in her all the time, I hope that doesn't make you feel worse hehe

Nah mate, why would it? What? Just because you have a bigger engine, carry more weight and spend a hundred bucks a week less on fuel than me? ... come to think of it, yes mate, it does make me feel worse ... let's put it this way, if I save enough money over the next eight years to afford the petrol to drive to WA, you owe me a beer. Deal??

Finly Owner
4th November 2010, 11:11 PM
FINLY travels 60k's/day, 10 days/fortnight on 1 tank of fuel...

Sorry haven't done figures......

gec
5th November 2010, 12:48 AM
Nah mate, why would it? What? Just because you have a bigger engine, carry more weight and spend a hundred bucks a week less on fuel than me? ... come to think of it, yes mate, it does make me feel worse ... let's put it this way, if I save enough money over the next eight years to afford the petrol to drive to WA, you owe me a beer. Deal??

Hahaha Deal mate for sure, or if i ever get over that side

Bigrig
5th November 2010, 09:13 AM
Hahaha Deal mate for sure, or if i ever get over that side

Then 'lock it in Eddie'!!! LOL

Cadbury
8th November 2010, 07:16 PM
Can anyone tell me what size tanks a standard GU has
Thanks for a good site guys

Bigrig
8th November 2010, 08:24 PM
Cadbury - not sure old mate as I have a GQ - anyone help on this one??

Just did a trip on the weekend and the figures are in ... averaged 19.36 ltrs per 100 - which is a damn site better than I get around town. That was fully laden also towing a trailer with all the camping gear, kids, dogs etc, so unloaded I reckon I could probably strip another 2-3 ltrs per 100 off that (on the open road only obviously - throw a bend, a stop sign, a traffic light, a grandma on a crossing, a kid on a skateboard, or a cuddly animal which I thought I shouldn't hit this time into the mix, and the numbers climb quicker than the space shuttle) .. I'm officially a happier camper!!

Bloggsy
8th November 2010, 08:35 PM
Std main tank should be 95 litres and the std sub should be 36 litres (I think the diesels have a slightly smaller sub tank).

EDIT: These are for the wagons. Utes are different again i think.

Cadbury
8th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Roughly how many litres do you have left when the light comes on

Bloggsy
8th November 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Roughly how many litres do you have left when the light comes on

10-15L at a guess.