PDA

View Full Version : Wheel balancing issues

BradWill
25th September 2012, 11:13 PM
Am ready to get new 285 70 16 muddies on my GU ute and am wondering if anyone has had issues with any brand of tyre getting a reasonable balance. am considering BFG's Km2's or Micky's MTZ's

nissannewby
25th September 2012, 11:32 PM
Hey mate I have run both and am currently running KM2's on my GU in a 285/75/16. They balance up fine and are an awesome all round tyre havent put them through as much punishment as my MTZ's but on road manners are certainly better. I cant really comment on the balancing of the MTZ's as I had these in a 35/12.5/15 they took a few wheel weights to get them balanced initially but I have never had them balanced since and never had an issue. You now have the tough decision of choosing between 2 very good quality tyres. The MTZ's will be slightly cheaper but by what I have seen so far with my KM2's is that I will certainly get more km's out of them.

Robo
26th September 2012, 12:46 PM
May be worth mentioning.
Balancing the rim and tyre seperatly first, and having the balance completed in this fashion has for me had better results.
Far Less weights needed to balance tyre and rim together.

So much so , my Son has just had a new set of Maxxis muddies shod on alloys, and I can see alot of weights.
I was thinking of suggesting to him rebalance this way instead, as a way of improving not only the balance but possibly tyres life span also.
At least he would be able to see if this method does require less weights and have a comparison in balancing methods.
If he does go ahead with this , will note how much weight is there before and after and post results.
Cheers

threedogs
26th September 2012, 05:05 PM
You want to avoid a lot of weights on your rim if possible. If the guy doing the balance knows his stuff
he'll deflate and rotate the tyre 180 and try again. Plus make sure the machine is set up for 4x4 tyres
I have 305 MTZs and have not had a problem, same with my other set with 285 ATRs

BradWill
26th September 2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys for your input . all makes sense- problem will be getting a retailer to do it properly. Any suggestions for a retailer around Brisbane (west side) Great idea to balance each seperately but how does one balanve a tyre with out the wheel!!

threedogs
27th September 2012, 07:20 AM
Got me beat, would have thought alloy being made on a lathe would be" IN BALANCE". Just mention to the fella if they are balancing up wrong if he wouldn't mind rotating them for you.
Sure he'll come to the party, don't want your weights ripped off the first time you go out, another tip, get them to put the shortest valve stem they can in. these are easily snapped off too.
Finally use steel valve caps, these are your only safety item to keep air in. If you hit a ledge hard plastic ones will fly off if valve fails, steel wont.

Robo
28th September 2012, 02:54 AM
Balancing as mentioned will/ should cost a bit more, takes a little longer.
they could pump up deflate rotate a number of times to achieve a better bal

Possible Eg, 5 or 10 gram weights instead of 40 grams +.
Sorry live up the Rd from Sydney myself.
Cheers

Robo
28th September 2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks guys for your input . all makes sense- problem will be getting a retailer to do it properly. Any suggestions for a retailer around Brisbane (west side) Great idea to balance each seperately but how does one balanve a tyre with out the wheel!!

It's not exactly what I meant, just tryn to pass on a better way of balancing to you.
your tyre guy if he know his stuff should know the go.