PDA

View Full Version : Power A/T Button

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all,
I have just bought a 1999 GU 4500 auto. I have noticed a button near the hand brake "power A/T"
Can someone pls tell me what it does?
Canbury

YNOT
3rd November 2010, 12:08 PM
If it's the button/switch I'm thinking of then it's the auto trans power switch. In power mode it raises the gear shift points and kicks down easier.

Tony

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 12:45 PM
Tony,
So its almost a sports mode in other words?

Maxhead
3rd November 2010, 01:10 PM
Tony,
So its almost a sports mode in other words?

Similar thing except there's nothing SPORTS about a Patrol...lol

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 01:27 PM
Good point, but at least they are build like brick sh-- houses hey

patch697
3rd November 2010, 02:10 PM

hahaha........ Yep & have the aerodynamics of one too......lolololololol

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 10:13 PM
But with a few mods or even stock they sure look the part

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 10:15 PM
I tried playing around with the A/T button on my way home. It seems to have three switch positions. Hold inbetween and power. None seemed to make any difference. Does this mean its not working?

mudtrolluk
4th November 2010, 03:17 AM
I tried playing around with the A/T button on my way home. It seems to have three switch positions. Hold inbetween and power. None seemed to make any difference. Does this mean its not working?

My auto has a 3 way rocking switch, with lights built in;

Up is "Power" orange light and lengthens the shift paten i.e. allow engine to rev higher before changing up and will kick down quicker to lower gear when accelerating , good for towing up or down hills.

Middle is "Auto" no light, standard shift paten, however if you boot it, it will change to "Power" on its own and show orange "Power" light until you back off.

Down is "Hold" green light shortens the shift, so will change gear to a higher gear quicker helping with traction and restricting engine power.

In my (NAF)Haynes manual there is a fault code for the Orange light, when the ignition is turned on the light flashes.
Hope this helps, phil.

Maxhead
4th November 2010, 06:42 AM

Hahahahahah, totaly agree

Maxhead
4th November 2010, 06:55 AM
Down is "Hold" green light shortens the shift, so will change gear to a higher gear quicker helping with traction and restricting engine power.

Not 100% sure about gear changes but in mine "hold" also means take off in second gear. Like a snow mode you take of in second for better traction

YNOT
4th November 2010, 07:08 AM
Middle is "Auto" no light, standard shift pattern, however if you boot it, it will change to "Power" on its own and show orange "Power" light until you back off.

My old R31 Skyline used to automatically shift to power mode when you booted it, but I've never noticed my GU do it. Although I don't usually look down at the switch when I boot it-Skyline 'power' light was in the instrument cluster.

Tony

Cadbury
4th November 2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, it does help thanks, You talked about a Haynes manual, do they do a manual for a 1999 GU 4500 petrol auto?

mudtrolluk
4th November 2010, 12:55 PM
My old R31 Skyline used to automatically shift to power mode when you booted it, but I've never noticed my GU do it. Although I don't usually look down at the switch when I boot it-Skyline 'power' light was in the instrument cluster.

Tony
Not 1999 however all patrol’s seam to follow the same rules of thumb or very similar technology; Tony’s skyline had a similar gear box control by the sound of it?

Cadbury
8th November 2010, 07:19 PM
I am not sure if maybe I have a blown fuse or something more serious, as no lights cpme on in the different positions and I cant see any difference in the gear change either.

YNOT
8th November 2010, 08:37 PM
Is the switch connected?

Tony

Cadbury
8th November 2010, 09:05 PM
Good point. I will check that first.
Man I sure will look like an idiot if that was the problem hey.

Chaz
15th November 2010, 07:34 PM
In HOLD mode, the transmission won’t use 1st gear. It holds it out of 1st gear for low traction surfaces such as snow, ice or mud. You can still shift into 1st manually, but in "D" you will start off in 2nd gear with the Hold switch on.

johanp
8th February 2011, 01:41 AM
My Patrol doesn't have this switch. What do I need to install a similar switch in my car and can anybody help with a circuit diagram?

YNOT
8th February 2011, 07:06 AM
It should have a switch from factory if it's an auto. If it's there it will be on the centre console. Retro fitting the switch would only be possible if the wiring is already there.

Tony

Sir Roofy
8th February 2011, 10:23 AM
power mode
used for rapid acceleration up hill,up shifts from 1to 4thgear when od switch is off,occur automatically
auto mode
used for eco driving
hold mode
provides feeling of sporty driving with manual trans when used in combination with select lever and od switch also used for standing starts,on slippery,snowy ,sandy roads

nowoolies
9th February 2011, 02:40 AM
it does well ill be a monkeys ....... i got the button as well and i havent felt any change no matter what i do , but the light comes on and that makes me happy
lmao kiss method and im happy hahahaha
nowoolies

Sir Roofy
9th February 2011, 09:26 AM
Well then try it going up hill as you start to go up put it in power mode
it should shift down and scoot up the hill quicker and smoother
you can do the same with the od button

felix
10th February 2011, 09:03 PM
well that make good sence to me

1peter
7th June 2011, 08:17 AM
it does well ill be a monkeys ....... i got the button as well and i havent felt any change no matter what i do , but the light comes on and that makes me happy
lmao kiss method and im happy hahahaha
nowoolies

Ditto, nothing/zip other than it takes off in 2nd when i switch it to hold.

Bigrig
7th June 2011, 08:25 AM
Hmmm ... get them checked maybe?? When you switch it to power, as opposed to what the word suggests, you don't get more 'power' but it should definitely drop back a cog easier with less throttle input - that is, when off and going up hill, you need to depress the peddle in about half way (let's say) to get it to kick back a gear, but with it set to power, you only need to depress the peddle slightly for the same result. Same goes for accelerating - will hold the gear longer before up changing. Mine is nearly 20 years old and works just as described - I use it each and every time I tow for instance.

nowoolies
7th June 2011, 09:04 PM
well i tried it out again today going into town
i forgot it was there
and i noticed a healthy change in take off and gear change
never noticed it last time maybe because the bus was new
got 24,000klm on it now run in a bit
now gotta find a muddy hill to try the other side of the button out

twisty
10th June 2011, 09:08 PM
I LUV the A/T switch :-) Found it a while ago (thanks to this thread). Power is always selected around town (yeah .. I know ... fuel ... environment ... etc ... don't care) cause I enjoy surprising the "P" platers going uphill ;-) oohhh ... and at the lights ... hehe ... and in that tight spot on the dirt ... aaahhh, memories.

1peter
16th June 2011, 08:10 PM
But when you watch the revs and switch the button does it make any difference at all ?? I've tried mine by driving along and keeping an eye on the revs and switching the button from Power to Auto and nothing happens ?? If i put it in hold i can take of in 2nd (i think) other than that, nothing, nadda, nil, stuff all. What model is your Patrol and have you tried holding the throttle and watching the tacho while switching the button ??
My auto has a 3 way rocking switch, with lights built in;

Up is "Power" orange light and lengthens the shift paten i.e. allow engine to rev higher before changing up and will kick down quicker to lower gear when accelerating , good for towing up or down hills.

Middle is "Auto" no light, standard shift paten, however if you boot it, it will change to "Power" on its own and show orange "Power" light until you back off.

In my (NAF)Haynes manual there is a fault code for the Orange light, when the ignition is turned on the light flashes.
Hope this helps, phil.

jimako
29th August 2011, 01:09 PM
Hi Guys,
As far as i know that switch only offers two modes, Power and Hold.
In the AT or Middle position it will automatically select the best mode, Either HOLD or POWER.
Thats why you cant feel the difference when changing from AT to Power.
If you feel the difference when taking of in HOLD mode, hold is working.
When in AT or Power mode it will take of the same, always from 1st, the only difference is Power will hold it in power mode, where AT will selcet the best mode alone.

1peter
31st August 2011, 08:29 AM
I've tried my switch and the only selection that seems to make an ounce of difference is the hold position. If i select that it hold 2nd gear when you take off (for slippery roads etc) ?? Why you don't just select 2nd gear i have no idea ?? The other positions make no difference when you select them and watch the tacho, same on my son in laws Patrol.

Bigrig
31st August 2011, 09:27 AM
I've tried my switch and the only selection that seems to make an ounce of difference is the hold position. If i select that it hold 2nd gear when you take off (for slippery roads etc) ?? Why you don't just select 2nd gear i have no idea ?? The other positions make no difference when you select them and watch the tacho, same on my son in laws Patrol.

I'll check, but I'm pretty certain that if you just put it in second gear to take off, it still starts in first, slips to second as per normal and won't go to third (the last bit is certain, it's the take off I'm questioning).

When I select the power button, it doesn't give more "power" as such, but instead it holds the gear longer on acceleration (under load) and drops down a gear quicker under load ... good for towing ... I notice that if power is selected, I need less throttle input to get it to change down a gear, and as said, if I give it some or am towing, it holds the gear longer (revs higher and harder) so you don't say drop into third from second and place more stress on the box trying to accelerate/tow at lower revs in a tall gear.

If yours isn't noticeably doing that, then not sure why.

Cadbury
31st August 2011, 09:44 PM
I keep mine in power. I like the quick change downs.
Cheers
Tim

1peter
4th September 2011, 06:22 PM
Hi Guys,
As far as i know that switch only offers two modes, Power and Hold.
In the AT or Middle position it will automatically select the best mode, Either HOLD or POWER.
Thats why you cant feel the difference when changing from AT to Power.
If you feel the difference when taking of in HOLD mode, hold is working.
When in AT or Power mode it will take of the same, always from 1st, the only difference is Power will hold it in power mode, where AT will selcet the best mode alone.

I should have read your reply more closely the 1st time jimako, what you say makes complete sense. The middle position on the button simply selects either HOLD or POWER automaticaly but would obviously select POWER 99.9% of the time unless you were losing traction when taking off on snow or wet grass etc, then it would select HOLD.

falcon
18th December 2011, 01:07 PM
Well that's good info with no owners book I thought down was Eco up power and middle hold seems I've been driving in hold since I've had it

twisty
18th December 2011, 01:58 PM
After a bit more experience in low range this is how it works for me. Select hold and shift gears manually. For climbing many will recommend 2nd gear to reduce wheel spin, however, I've found with the standard nissan gearing steep, or long, climbs put a LOT of pressure on the torque converter below 1500 rpm and the TC "pings". 1st gear works much better and the rpm will stay between 1500 and 2000 with the TC very happy. Descents always in L1 with a little left foot brake and a touch of the loud pedal.

On the tar, do want you like.

Chaz
19th December 2011, 03:17 AM
The specification manual clearly shows the difference. In Power mode, the transmission shifts down at higher speed at part throttle from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd.
It has no bearing on up shifts.

http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/images/Shift%20Schedule.jpg

Sir Roofy
19th December 2011, 11:35 AM
Power mode ,my 4.5 used to go like the clappers &drove like a sports car
was great in the hills

tallman
29th November 2014, 07:02 PM
Power mode ,my 4.5 used to go like the clappers &drove like a sports car
was great in the hills

Thats why I leave mine in Power mode :)

Patrol grub
9th March 2015, 09:30 PM
Not 100% sure about gear changes but in mine "hold" also means take off in second gear. Like a snow mode you take of in second for better traction

Yeh that's what is in the owners manual holds it in second for snow and sand starts to reduce spinning on take off

bowerbird
10th March 2015, 12:01 PM
in heavy suburban traffic where its speed up slow down, brake , swear, curse accelerate , swerve, shout, brake - I take the overdrive off, and the tranny in power mode. I find I have much quicker response to get in and around the people that shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Geraint
11th March 2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for above info. I have no manual yet so trying to figure all these buttons out. This is such a great forum.