PDA

View Full Version : Diff Housing Cracked

ThePig
20th June 2010, 06:17 PM
Well I'm back from my day out and just realised i've cracked my diff housing. Possibly could have happened earlier, realised when i was cleaning underneath this arvo.

I know how to weld and could possibly put a 2-3mm plate over the effected area too?

I've never done or seen anyone do this so I'm not sure if this would work or not.

Do you guys think this will work?

I can't really afford to replace it at the moment so looking for other alternatives.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Runt
21st June 2010, 11:10 AM
My old man has done this and worked fine, probably stronger then a replacement one if done right.

You could also do some full on bracing and it should hold fine and make sure its all thoroughly cleaned before hand.

Take it for a bit of a test run afterwards locally before setting off on a mission though. :)

justrocho
1st December 2010, 06:33 PM
run a grinding wheel along the crack carful dont go through case then on the ends of the crack weld across the crack then follow the crack depending on the size of crack it will look like an I if you can understand that Andrew

YNOT
1st December 2010, 07:45 PM
Firstly, front or rear diff and is it possible for you to post photos of the cracked diff?

Properly grinding back and welding the crack as suggested above will leave you with a good repair. Adding extra bracing (as also suggested) would be even better.

Tony

Finly Owner
1st December 2010, 09:53 PM
Just a question, is there a need to make a jig or such and place on diff to prevent heat bend/twist?

cruiseliner
1st December 2010, 10:47 PM
Ben
Find exactly where the crack starts and finishes and drill a small hole at each end it stops the crack coming back even after it has been welded. I have used this method on prime mover chassis before but never on a diff housing but dont take my word for it do your home work make a few enquirys maybe to a diff expert.

Scott

cruiseliner
1st December 2010, 11:13 PM
Ben
sorry but wrote last post wrong should have said drill holes will stop crack from travelling any further from its ends.
best of luck
Scott

patrol 98
2nd December 2010, 01:07 AM
i had the same thing on my old cruiser.
when i had it at a diff mechanic he told me that the only way to make the weld strong enough is to take out the housing and degrease both sides of the crack and then weld it shut.

i also took it a toyota and they said that the weld would be a weak point in the housing if it was put under to much stress it would just keep re-cracking

tkn
6th December 2010, 10:19 AM
patrol 98 has got it right. Also, it depends where it has cracked. A good weld is usually at best 90% as strong as the steel being welded. The welding process also creates (new) heat stresses in the metal being welding. To do the job really well, especially if you were to reinforce the diff (i.e. by patch plate and/or braces), you may be better to remove the axle assembly from the vehicle. If the crack is near where a tube joins the pumpkin it will be difficult to make a good repair without removing the carrier. All of that assumes that you are talking about a "crack" (hairline) as opposed to a "tear" (ugly open wound).