PDA

View Full Version : 33 or 35 Inch Wheels on me GU

BLACK-GU
21st May 2010, 08:21 PM
Just curious to see what others think.

Ive got a Nissan Patrol GU - Yes its black...haha

I'm getting a new set of wheels and not sure if i should upgrade to 35's?

Are 33's enough or will 35's just be way too much?

Thanks in advance.

MickyD
21st May 2010, 08:29 PM
Black-GU - I think 33 inch should be ok mate.

Unless your doing hardcore rock or mud thrashing then 33's will be more than enough.

AB
21st May 2010, 08:39 PM
The gear ratios will also be messed up a bit on 35's too and choosing 33's you can then spend the same amount of money but a lot better quality.

Timbo
24th May 2010, 06:56 PM
Agree with the posts above.

I have 35's on my patrol. I love them, but they are wasted being on the road as much as mine are. I'm just too lazy to change them.. but also, my other set are 31" tyres and they are pretty rooted. One day i'd like to save the money to buy a good set of 33's.
Unless you're doing really hardcore tracks or competitions of some kind, 33's are all that you need. There have been instances where guys with 33" tyres have out driven guys with 35's purely based on skill. So in other words.. 35" tyres won't make you drive tracks any better or get you further. :) Hope this helps.

ps: my 35's throw my speedo out around 7-10/kmh.. so if the speed limit is 60, i usually do 50 on the speedo.

White_GU
25th May 2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah have to agree with the general consensus here. 33's I think are perfect. Also, which no-one has pointed out yet, you don't have to have a 3" lift to fit 33's unlike the 35's.. and even then, you get a slight scrubbing of the tyres under full articulation. 2" suspension lift with 33's will get you pretty much anywhere in Australia. Blokes like Malcom Douglas and Alby Mangal didn't even have suspension lifts I don't think! Those guys when everywhere haha.

4.2 shorty
25th May 2010, 06:07 PM
Haha... nothing like a Shorty with 37's !!! :D :D
Just need the Shorty though :P

Our wagon has 33" BFG AT's. They are alright for what use the truck for really. Wouldn't like to get into the sloppy mud with them. I've heard they aren't that great.

AB
6th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Like what G-Unit mentioned, it does depend on what your vehicle is used for.

If It's your everyday car than yes, 35's will be a waste but if its your weekender 4x4 than you can get away with it.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this in the last few years but a lot of people are on 35's and 37's.

I went to some old tracks out Toolangi way a while back and my 33's just wern't cutting it.

A lot of the tracks were bogged out with 37" tyres from the locals and it made that day a nightmare.

In fact i spent all day bypassing favourite spots and winching out like a mad man.

The next question is, do i keep up with the pace and get 37's so i can access these tracks?

What happens next, does everyone upgrade again until the tracks are inaccessible...haha

DazGQ
7th June 2010, 07:10 PM
I've noticed that out my way too in some of the state park tracks.

I was going to get 35's for my beast but like everyone above It's my work car and I'm struggling to justify weekend fun versus city driving?

Need to invest in a city little rice burner car so I can do mods on the beast to enable her to go further.

money money money!!!

Woof
7th June 2010, 07:19 PM
Dennis if you put 35's on they will rub without a lift.
I had a 2" lift on my GU and running 33's and even they rubbed.
Wayne

BLACK-GU
7th June 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm not the most knowledgable 4x4 guru and i do carry some heavy items in my car so as Wayne pointed out with the rubbing it would be even worse with carrying a load....taa!

Woof
7th June 2010, 08:03 PM
Hey Dennis, if your not doing anything on this date and time come along and say hello, Wed 23rd of June at 7pm, Rivervale Community Centre (corner of Francisco Street and Surrry Road, Rivervale)
No pressure to join as all members of the public are very welcome.
Wayne

BLACK-GU
8th June 2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the invite Wayne.

I'll try and be there on the 23rd....Cheers! :)

WANO
21st July 2010, 09:36 PM
Guys, I run 33s un my GU with a 4" lift but with toyota offsets which widens the track by about 40mm I think. But more to the point it gives a bit more clearance in the guards when you are fully articulated. I am just in the process of sourcing a set of 4.625 gear ratios for the diffs to bring it back to apoint where I am not struggling on steep hills. there's always something. What is it they say " For every action there is a reaction"

Cheers WANO

jase
3rd September 2010, 12:28 AM
I've got BFG 33's AT with 2" lift and had front mud guards off to prevent them from rubbing.

CQPatrol
8th September 2010, 02:02 AM
I am in the market for some new tyres to. I was told today by several tyre shops in the area ( Central QLD) that i can only legally fit 265's as 285's (33's) are to big.

jpvm
12th September 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm using 35" Cooper STTs with an 4" OME lift kit (minimunm to ensure not rubbing) and no rubbing at all. I love the stance and ground clearance , but the engine looses agilty with them compared to the older 33"s I had.. Although mine is a 4,5 petrol GU, its a 5 speed stick model so I can still work the beast to go on. Strangley my speedo gives still a correct speed , since compared to the GPS on board , it gives the correct speed.

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 06:31 PM
What are the biggest tyre size to fit a stock standard 1999 gu st

Cadbury
10th November 2010, 10:59 PM
Hi guys,
Can someone please tell me will 285/75/16 tyres fit onto a stock 1999 GU or do I need a lift to fit these on?
Cheers
Cadbury

benzo
8th April 2011, 10:05 PM
33 good for mosdest fwd but for extreme and to stop beng a pumkin in the rut so go 35s

melts
11th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Hey

My mate has a Gu patrol and he fitted 2inch suspension lift and 35inch tyres. These scrubbed on flex and would really need another 1-2 inch lift to fit comfortably. 35's are great for off road but will mess with your fuel economy etc onroad.

the best compromise may be the 33's - or even a set of road tyres and some 35's for offroad.

Warnie
13th April 2011, 07:05 PM
I am in the market for some new tyres to. I was told today by several tyre shops in the area ( Central QLD) that i can only legally fit 265's as 285's (33's) are to big.

285/75R16's are illegal to fit to a patrol yes, But they are not really that noticeable in the size difference. So if you fdo want to fit them have a look at insurance and the like, or if you don't care just enjoy. You can only legally atm go 15mm bigger or samller in rolling diameter than what the vehicle came with standard. Also correct me if I am wrong, this rule is set to change soon, with the laws being relaxed slightly.

Warnie
13th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,
Can someone please tell me will 285/75/16 tyres fit onto a stock 1999 GU or do I need a lift to fit these on?
Cheers
Cadbury

285/75R16's (33"s) will fit on a stock GU with no lift. You need to think about what the tyres will do at full articulation also. 33"s on standard GU rims should be fine and no scrub at full flex. They would be even better suted to some negative offset rims.

People who think you need to suspension lift a vehicle to fit large tyres are retarded (severly hindered), as tyres that fit whilst driving in a straight line and not at full flex or turning do not fit as they still scrub. Lifting a vehicle is to gain articulation (flex).

Warnie
13th April 2011, 07:11 PM
Oh and I would go 33"s for the driving you say you do.

Pete's GU3
18th April 2011, 05:01 PM
285/75R16's (33"s) will fit on a stock GU with no lift. You need to think about what the tyres will do at full articulation also. 33"s on standard GU rims should be fine and no scrub at full flex. They would be even better suted to some negative offset rims.

People who think you need to suspension lift a vehicle to fit large tyres are retarded (severly hindered), as tyres that fit whilst driving in a straight line and not at full flex or turning do not fit as they still scrub. Lifting a vehicle is to gain articulation (flex).

Ok , i am currently running 265/70/16 on a GU alloy rims , i am wanting to put on 285/75/16 on stock suspension , no lift yet , you say they wont rub which is good ...i am looking at the MTZ or the BFG KM2...both very good tyres i think , not much to split them ...i am leaning to the MT MTZ, i think they may be a little quieter on the road and i like the look of them ...also what is this offset people talk about , is it something i need to do or will the 285s go straight on the rims ????

pete

Warnie
18th April 2011, 06:40 PM
The 285"s will fit straight onto the rims and then you are away and wheeling. I would go the BFG KM2 as the BFG is actually a true size tyre and a newer design tyre. The MT 33" is actually smaller than a 33" (approx 31.5") in rolling diameter and the BFG side wall is stronger. Both tyres are out nout mud tyres and will make noise after 60%. Just get the tyre you want and put up with the noise. I find a good sound system will take care of this (not that loud, but good sound).

I went with the Kumho KL71, I pick them up on Wednesday. They are directional, and they are smaller than a 33" (32.5"), but at $249 a tyre I couldn’t beat them. (approx $500 more for the KM2 or MTZ). I really wanted the KM2 but couldn't justify the money as I am a student.

Cheers Adam

Pete's GU3
18th April 2011, 09:00 PM
thanks for feedback warnie , just waiting on some quotes re both those tyres , probably looking around $350 ea.

big_fletch
18th April 2011, 09:08 PM
The 285"s will fit straight onto the rims and then you are away and wheeling. I would go the BFG KM2 as the BFG is actually a true size tyre and a newer design tyre. The MT 33" is actually smaller than a 33" (approx 31.5") in rolling diameter and the BFG side wall is stronger. Both tyres are out nout mud tyres and will make noise after 60%. Just get the tyre you want and put up with the noise. I find a good sound system will take care of this (not that loud, but good sound).

I went with the Kumho KL71, I pick them up on Wednesday. They are directional, and they are smaller than a 33" (32.5"), but at $249 a tyre I couldn’t beat them. (approx $500 more for the KM2 or MTZ). I really wanted the KM2 but couldn't justify the money as I am a student.

Cheers Adam

I run the km2 and is a bloody brilliant tyre..
You say you have purchased the khumo kl71, you won't be disappointed mate!! I have a mate running them and I am extremely impressed, not quite as strong as the bfg, but awesome in the sloppy stuff and great on the blacktop (even in the wet).
He also runs them on a gq wagon

Fletcha

Warnie
19th April 2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah Fletcha I pick them up tomorrow, I have only heard good reports for them, so on they go. I heard they were nice on the road also. I am replacing a set of 33" BFG AT's that are a bit long in the tooth and have gone a bit stiff. Im looking for a good alround tyre. So I will see how they go.

Pete's GU3
19th April 2011, 06:45 PM
had a look at the khumos on google images , looks a slick MT...should go well....

racey000
27th April 2011, 01:38 PM
Get the 33s

edit, I mean 35s lol, you will be able to go anywhere!

katwoman
27th April 2011, 02:43 PM
Had kuhmo 33's A/T's fitted this morning. Go 35's..

Chev oiler
29th April 2011, 02:45 AM
Like what G-Unit mentioned, it does depend on what your vehicle is used for.

If It's your everyday car than yes, 35's will be a waste but if its your weekender 4x4 than you can get away with it.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this in the last few years but a lot of people are on 35's and 37's.

I went to some old tracks out Toolangi way a while back and my 33's just wern't cutting it.

A lot of the tracks were bogged out with 37" tyres from the locals and it made that day a nightmare.

In fact i spent all day bypassing favourite spots and winching out like a mad man.

The next question is, do i keep up with the pace and get 37's so i can access these tracks?

What happens next, does everyone upgrade again until the tracks are inaccessible...haha

I was trail bike riding in Toolangi a couple of years ago, just near Marginal Track, and the rocky stairs. Along came a group of guys in borderline comp cars and proceeded to chew up evry mud hole they could find with 35's and 37's. makes it hard for the average owner to enjoy the area, so much so that if continues too much, They will just close the roads of to emergency services only, grade the roads, and you and I won't be gettin back in there again.
If evryone had 33's it would maybe be a challenge, but still be passable, and enjoyable.
I have 33's and not found anywhere I can't go !

J B
1st May 2011, 03:17 PM
I have 33s on with a two inch lift and i out drove all other 4x4s on the week end, some with 35s.

Clunk
1st May 2011, 03:22 PM
I have 33s on with a two inch lift and i out drove all other 4x4s on the week end, some with 35s.

g'day JB welcome to the forum mate, would you mind chucking up an intro in the Introduction section, tell us a bit about yourself and your rig? Just gets everyone onside mate..... Cheers Adrian

Bigrig
1st May 2011, 03:35 PM

That's because you probably know how to drive properly mate!! Amazing what a difference it makes when you know where to point the vehicle - top stuff!!

As per the last post, throw up an intro in the introductions section mate and let us know a little about yourself and the rig - welcome aboard!!

wojtech
25th June 2011, 06:52 PM
Been having that same problem deciding between 33 and 35 , sure 35's would look tuff and my truck would wear them with no prob's (5"lift), thing is they will not get me, my family and my boat any further than 33's, they will not increase clearance more than the width of an average carpenters thumb, the extra cost will cover that new compound bow I've been looking at plus I can afford 6 of them not 5!!!

BigRAWesty
2nd March 2014, 12:54 AM
Agree with the posts above.

I have 35's on my patrol. I love them, but they are wasted being on the road as much as mine are. I'm just too lazy to change them.. but also, my other set are 31" tyres and they are pretty rooted. One day i'd like to save the money to buy a good set of 33's.
Unless you're doing really hardcore tracks or competitions of some kind, 33's are all that you need. There have been instances where guys with 33" tyres have out driven guys with 35's purely based on skill. So in other words.. 35" tyres won't make you drive tracks any better or get you further. :) Hope this helps.

ps: my 35's throw my speedo out around 7-10/kmh.. so if the speed limit is 60, i usually do 50 on the speedo.

The best bushes are genuine bushes..
That's for all joints..

megatexture
2nd March 2014, 01:07 AM
Bringing up some oldies lol

Fozzee63
11th March 2014, 12:47 PM
I too we're thinking of new rubber, 33 it is but wat width r legal? And wat offset with out scrubbing with a 2 - 3 inch lift

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
11th March 2014, 06:11 PM
Bringing up some oldies lol

Bloody tappa crappa. Noticed it was cross posting again the other day when quoting.