PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stats and Range plus compare Saudi and Aus prices GU 4800

cgm
25th September 2012, 03:57 AM
Did my first long trip in the Patrol last weekend. (GU 4800).

Thought I'd post a few fuel related figures just fyi.

I'm really loving the vehicle and it was great to cruise down the highway (but I missed the cruise control from my old Trooper). When it comes to consumption and range I now understand why they come standard with a Sub tank!!

Here is the rough info:

Some influencing factors: Large steel roof rack sitting high off the roof catching wind, 285/75/16 AT tyres (changes gearing a little, not sure how much difference it makes)

From full I drove until about 370km when the "orange light" came on. From the gauge it still doesn't look empty at that point. I then pumped the sub tank across and continued. All highway for about 460km and then about 40km around town.

I sat pretty much on 120km/h all the way, which is the speed limit here - I was probably passed by most cars on the highway by only going that speed. I noted this on the GPS on the way back and the average speed, including stops to grab a coffee at the drive through and fill once with fuel was still above 100 km/h for the length of the trip.

At the pump I put in (both tanks) 110.7 litres and the trip meter on the speedo read 503.9 km.

So that is roughly: 22 l/100km, 4.5 km/l or 10.7 mpg.

Ouch!

The tanks are 95 litres main and 30 litres sub (total 125 litres). So theoretically I still had about 14 litres left. At best, let's say 10 litres useable. That would be another 45 kms or a total of about 550km range. I guess you could stretch it by slowing back to 100km/h, but that is hard to do.

So, what about price?

Fuel in Riyadh where I live is 0.45 SR/litre, in Jubail where we traveled to they have permission to put the price up to 0.47 (the price is always fixed and never changes).

110.7 litres @ 0.47 = 52 SR. Exchange rate is roughly 4:1, so about AUD $13. :p

I had a quick dig on the RACV site and it seemed that fuel in Melbourne on that day was about $1.35/l so that same fuel in Melbourne would be about AUD $149.45 (about 598 SR)

Ouch!!! :frown:

The speedo reads about 122 when the GPS reads 120 (even with the bigger tyres), so if you took that small difference into account - it's even WORSE. ha ha :)

It's a really nice car and the 4800 has heaps of power and is great to drive. But it really wouldn't make any sense anywhere but here. You can also see why it is hard to slow down to test the fuel economy. The price really discourages any thought of being green.

One more comparison, I had the same roof rack on my old Isuzu Trooper (Holden Jackaroo) and did the same trip with between 20-21 l/100km, but it was never going to be good to compare to.

oncedisturbed
25th September 2012, 05:00 AM
sounds about right, I have a 2009 GU 4.8 with a 145L longrange tank and average 550km per tank at roughly $160 a pop. has pretty much all the fruit on it with ARB gear and roof racks, lift etc but running 285/70/17's on the standard alloys instead of 16's

Bulbous
25th September 2012, 05:01 AM
Mabrook on the car, Not easy on the fuel though are they?

I've got one, same tyres, but mine's a Manual so the consumption might be a bit better. My speedo is the same as yours and setting the cruise at 120, the GPS shows 118. How come you don't have cruise?

I try to keep it below 100 KPH when I'm commuting. It's a lot more economic then.
Even flooring it once makes a major difference. Having said that, it goes so well when you do floor it. If you think the consumption is bad at 120, see how long a tank lasts at 160.

Overshadowing the lot, is what happens when you take it off road into those lovely dunes. Mine must spend over 30% of it's time in the desert and the amount of fuel it drinks then is truly awesome. I've seen it chew it's way through a 1/4 tank on a 50KM drive. It's only a rough calculation, but I work that out as well over 40 L per 100KM.

I think Petrol costs a bit more in the UAE, but it's still pretty cheap compare to Oz and Europe. Best thing is my Company pays for it anyway :D

oncedisturbed
25th September 2012, 05:32 AM
forgot to say that mine is the auto, not manual

choppie
25th September 2012, 12:50 PM
AAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!! Fuel prices like that could make me tear my hair out ( that's why I keep it short ):smileyvault-cute-bi

taslucas
25th September 2012, 01:02 PM
I know this is about the GU 4.8 but just to make you feel better I get around 28lt/100kms at an average of $1.55 per litre in my TB42 auto. Ouch?

Tap, crackle, pop

cgm
25th September 2012, 02:30 PM
I know this is about the GU 4.8 but just to make you feel better I get around 28lt/100kms at an average of $1.55 per litre in my TB42 auto. Ouch?

Tap, crackle, pop

Man, that really is a reason to say Ouch! It doesn't matter here as fuel is so cheap, but back in Aus at $1.55 that could really force you to limit your driving ...

cgm
25th September 2012, 02:31 PM
forgot to say that mine is the auto, not manual

Also forgot to mention mine is manual

cgm
25th September 2012, 02:38 PM
Mabrook on the car

Thanks for the congratulations. I wasn't really looking to change my car, but a friend was leaving exit only so decided to take it. Glad I did as it is awesome offroad, particularly because of the power of the 4800. Mine's quite a bit older than yours, but very happy with it.

Really soft sand is one of the great equalizers in fuel economy (equally bad). I've done a few trips into the Empty Quarter and you spend a day lugging around in soft sand and all cars on the trip start using 40-50 l/100km

threedogs
25th September 2012, 03:56 PM
Costs me $220 to fill up in Melb, at your fuel prices I would be throwing a turbo on, whats it going to cost you $15 a fill BOO HOO lol you one lucky fella