PDA

View Full Version : Fuel usage, 09 ST Manual 3.0 CRD Wagon.

NT09ST
23rd September 2012, 12:56 PM
Hi,

im new to the forum and to Patrols but ive spent a few hours looking through all the post on here and have found a couple related to 3.0 CRD Fuel usage but they have all been on autos.

Ive just bought a 09 ST Manal wagon with 63,000km, Bull Bar, snorkell but thats about it and im pretty disapointed with the economy.

What sort of realistic economy should i be expecting? I did a trip away fishing last week and towing a 4.35 tinny at 100km/h i got 16.5 lph that i thought was quite bad.

Also should i be expecting to see much in the way of black smoke from the exhaust? Never had much to do with the CRD. I wouldnt say its alot but it is noticable at times.

Cheers

Tim

happygu
23rd September 2012, 01:03 PM
To help you we need to establish a baseline

What size tyres are you running?

What do you get when you aren't towing?

Mic

NT09ST
23rd September 2012, 01:59 PM
Standard tyres, 275/65/17 and around town it seems to be about 13 lph, its hard to say what a town driving is though as my day to day driving involves all speeds up to 110km/h

Maxhead
23rd September 2012, 02:09 PM
They are not unreasonable figures mate. The CRDs seem to vary a bit on fuel economy but yours seem OK to me.

There are too many variants to be able to say what normal usage is.
Tyres
Accessories
Mods
Roof rack
Driving style
Terrain
Etc etc

........... On the move

Steveo_the_Devo
23rd September 2012, 02:13 PM
Welcome aboard Tim.

16.5 sounds within the ball park when towing. There seems to be a fairly big variance with the CRDs - some manage to get amazingly good consumption, others tell horror stories.

We have a 2011 manual CRD and on our recent Central Oz trip towing a loaded camper and the Patrol full of 3 kids, food, recovery gear, spares etc we averaged 15.5-16.5l/100km doing 95km/hr. Obviously the harder your push the speed the higher the consumption. When doing 130km/hr (briefly) on the way to Alice it was closer to 20l/100km.

You should definitely fit a scanguage if you haven't done so already.

[edit]... damn, Nisshead got in just ahead of me! :)

MEGOMONSTER
23rd September 2012, 03:27 PM
Best tip for increased fuel economy was given to me from this forum which is to keep gear changes below 2500rpm and don't use cruise control on hilly roads like mid section of Hume Hwy. try and cruise up a hill rather than force the truck up it , if you lose some speed so be it.
If you have a head wind its very hard to saves fuel with the buses we drive.

I did a fuel consumption test before and after I fitted my Taipan 3" exhaust and DP chip.
Tested over 7 tanks of fuel each
Fuel consumption b4 Chip & Exhaust: 14.78l/100
C&E set on 7: 14.33l/100
C&E set on 3: 13.62l/100
It does depend on a heap of factors especially the way you drive and I'm no driving miss daisy kind of driver and the load on the vehicle like both tanks being full, car fridge full of Jack Daniels cans.
I did a trip to Echuca from Melbourne and started with less than a quarter tank,sub tank nearly empty and next to no load just me and the missus.
I was in no rush to get there so I was just plugging along all the way there, and got nearly half way home before I put the remaining fuel from the sub tank in. i went 363km on less than a quarter tank. Go figure. I must of been of fumes for ages.

threedogs
23rd September 2012, 04:01 PM
Cr are a touch thirstier than the Di, be it your driving around in high humidity most of the year at 30 degree temps.
I get 15/100 towing my camper with 2 mates on board

my third 256
24th September 2012, 06:11 AM
tyer pressure is another factor
i have same tyers and run 42 psi and that gives me 15 ltr per 100
also keep speed to 95 that will help

WogsRus
24th September 2012, 12:41 PM
I must have got a good one. Mine is a 2012 GU8, manual, 265.70.17s on, bull bar and so forth. I manage low 11/100km around town ever day and i drive it like i stole it. Towing, well not sure as it has not towed as yet

MEGOMONSTER
24th September 2012, 03:08 PM
I must have got a good one. Mine is a 2012 GU8, manual, 265.70.17s on, bull bar and so forth. I manage low 11/100km around town ever day and i drive it like i stole it.

That's probably because the rest of us are riding on 275's as standard not 265's

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

JoeG
24th September 2012, 03:36 PM
Hi Tim
I have a custom 2010 WDX Double Cab Chassis with a GVM of 3.6T and with the Camper fitted and 285/75/16 tyres get around 16l/100 using my SCAN GAUGE to monitor the engine load, I use cruise all the time and adjust the speed set point to suit the load.
I try to keep the engine load (LOD) below 65% and this works fine , sure it means a bit slower up hills and some gear changes when if I kept the foot down it would go up in 5th but the economy makes me smile, so take my advice ( and many others and buy a scan gauge and smile too!)
It also allows you to check engine fault codes and re set them (they will just come up again it it is real, then look up the code and find out what it means
Hope this helps
Joe

PS I don't have any connection to any svan gauge retailer just trying to help a fellow driver

Welcome aboard Tim.

16.5 sounds within the ball park when towing. There seems to be a fairly big variance with the CRDs - some manage to get amazingly good consumption, others tell horror stories.

We have a 2011 manual CRD and on our recent Central Oz trip towing a loaded camper and the Patrol full of 3 kids, food, recovery gear, spares etc we averaged 15.5-16.5l/100km doing 95km/hr. Obviously the harder your push the speed the higher the consumption. When doing 130km/hr (briefly) on the way to Alice it was closer to 20l/100km.

You should definitely fit a scanguage if you haven't done so already.

[edit]... damn, Nisshead got in just ahead of me! :)

NT09ST
24th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys,

atleast its not a bad one then. Seems amazing how a new car with efi can vary so much in economy from car to car.

Might have to look at some of the std mods in the near future, ppl seem pretty keen on the egt/boost guage , the scan guage and blanking off the egr. Might look into it all a bit more first though.

Cheers

Tim

happygu
24th September 2012, 06:35 PM
Yours is a little higher than mine in fuel usage, but there are so many factors that come into play, but I would think that if your car is fairly standard then you can do better.

My last fill with 285 MTR's, lift, winch, bar, etc was 13.12L per hundred.

At least I got a good one, but then my last four have all been quite similar, with the CRD's both being slightly worse.

If all mine have been similar, with pretty much the same gear and driver, then that points to something else like driving style, tyre pressures, age of car.....

Mic

NT09ST
24th September 2012, 06:50 PM
I thought around town it wasnt to bad but the towing def gave me a shock.

This tank seems to be a bit better as ive tried to keep the revs below 2500 on gearshifts and have got 350 out of the first half of the tank so far.

Time will tell.

MEGOMONSTER
24th September 2012, 06:52 PM
Just that the second half (for me) seems to go a lot quicker than the first half.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

happygu
24th September 2012, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=MEGOMONSTER;273621]Just that the second half (for me) seems to go a lot quicker than the first half.

I second that - The second half of the tank seems to disappear more quickly, but also there is at least 15 or so litres left when the light comes on

happygu
24th September 2012, 07:41 PM

This tank seems to be a bit better as ive tried to keep the revs below 2500 on gearshifts and have got 350 out of the first half of the tank so far.

Time will tell.

I don't worry too much about my revs when I change gear - I just try to stay shy of Mego's 5500........

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
27th September 2012, 04:50 AM
I don't worry too much about my revs when I change gear - I just try to stay shy of Mego's 5500........

Mic

Tip 2: always check your in drive an auto. And stay shy of accidental 5500 rpm

MEGOMONSTER
27th September 2012, 04:54 AM
I second that - The second half of the tank seems to disappear more quickly, but also there is at least 15 or so litres left when the light comes on

I got 160km once while the fuel light was on, at least I know I can get 100km extra for my car as a guide.

the evil twin
27th September 2012, 07:27 PM

Time will tell.

See how ya go mate but those 3 litres are made to rev. I accelerate hard in mine and get it on high boost and into the Torque curve asap and keep it there till I get a tall gear as early as I can then just lope along around the place.

I have over 120,000 on my truck now and it has averaged almost exactly 12.5 LPH since I got her with 40,000 on the clock.

I get approx 10.5 to 11 LPH around town, and use up to 15's towing the camper around the place or on the beach. EGR block, 33's, DP chip, 3 inch exhaust, snork etc etc

Mines a heavy sum'bitch with lots of wind drag as well as it has draw system (chokkas) fridge, steel bar, winch, lift, roof rack etc etc

Of all the mods the best value for money is a Scangauge (if you can call 'em a Mod). I'd be devo'd without mine.

NT09ST
1st October 2012, 01:04 PM
Just got 13.7LPH out of the last tank i filled today, seems to remain the same no matter how it gets driven.

NT09ST
18th February 2013, 08:55 PM
Finnaly found some time to get on line a bit so i thought id up date my economy results.

Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that they are totaly random and it is what it is, however the best i managed was last week, 12.5lph and the worst was towing a 2.5t trailer with two quad bikes on top at a thirsty 19.5 @ 95km/h late last yr.

Towing the boat still seems to be around the 14.5 mark.

Im looking at starting some mods soon so ill keep it up dated as i slowly get them happening.

schanmala
19th February 2013, 06:37 PM
Just checking are you get your economy by

- filling up both tanks fully
- drive for 800kms+ (record the kms)
- fill up both tanks (pump automatically pumps from sub to main on start up)
- calculate by liters used \ kms recorded multiplyed by 100

I get OK eco, but crap when towing or headwind.

NT09ST
19th February 2013, 07:16 PM
I only use the main tank unless on a long trip, i wasnt aware that it uses fuel from the sub tank on start up though?!