PDA

View Full Version : When you take kids camping

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 07:48 PM
might of been done before , but just a reminder with summer nearly upon us. if camping with the kids ,grandkids give them all a whistle on a lanyard . especially around rivers. May even come in handy at a caravan park with all the sicko around today, explain its only if they are in trouble and out of sight.
we all love our kids right?

Clunk
22nd September 2012, 07:55 PM
Most of the time!!!!!! Lol

And them other times, well ..... I'm sure you know all about it ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Winnie
22nd September 2012, 07:58 PM
My esky is my baby. Do any harm to my baby and you won't know what hit you

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 08:00 PM
they love you at kinda, my eldest 26 just stormed out talking in tongues, but hey he loves me
I'm a young dad, good eggs you know

NissanGQ4.2
22nd September 2012, 08:08 PM
they love you at kinda, my eldest 26 just stormed out talking in tongues, but hey he loves me
I'm a young dad, good eggs you know

Don't tell me your 26 year old son still lives at home

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 08:10 PM
ah yeeeah and the 21 year old, great meal ticket here, anyone else want to shift in

oncedisturbed
22nd September 2012, 08:12 PM
can't agree more. munchkin (11yro) had his 1st 2 scout camps awhile back, 1 was a night excercise round-robin and the other similar but over a full weekend. I set him up with a first aid kit with enough to cover him if something went wrong, hydralyte (anti-squirts / dehydration fluids), whistle, pocket knife / multi tool, whistle, waterproof matches, compass, 2 x glow sticks, a printed area from near-maps and I forget what else.

showed him how to locate visible features in the area he is in that he could find on the map and orientate the map to "N" against the compass, that way he new if anything went wrong, he could locate the closest track / road or sheltered area near to him and his group.

won't be much longer before I start to teach him map reading etc as he wants to follow me and my old man through cadets at the start of next year.

oncedisturbed
22nd September 2012, 08:13 PM
My esky is my baby. Do any harm to my baby and you won't know what hit you

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

no arguements from me, have the same thought processsssssesssss

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 08:21 PM
Great post Once, not many these days are into outdoor "STUFF"
take the tacker for a walk with a compass. they do/will follow your lead
sadly mishaps happen every year, but hopefully not on this forum

MEGOMONSTER
24th September 2012, 08:13 PM
The last time I went camping in Yarrawonga I caught an 80cm Murray cod from Lake Mulwala and brought it back to camp still alive in the bait tank. I tethered it with about ten metres of line and let it swimming freely to keep it fresh for dinner that night.
Most of our camp crew girls were going into to town, so I took some of the boys up river for a fish for yellow bellys bug didn't get any. We got back before dusk and I see my Cod floating near the bank with a small log next to it. I screamed "WHO THE F**K DID THIS" so loud the whole camp site heard. Some guy came down from the top of the camp site being really apologetic. He told me that he seen his young boys playing near the waters edge for ages and wondered what was so fascinating when he saw the bludgeoned fish on the bank.
I was so cut but really couldn't do nothing about it. Both kids came down to say sorry and their dad gave me two full 9kg gas bottles. I was pretty happy with the gesture, but still cut about the cod as most of our camping group had never tasted Murray cod and were all looking forward to it. No more legal cod caught for the rest of that trip.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

happygu
24th September 2012, 08:45 PM
The last time I went camping in Yarrawonga I caught an 80cm Murray cod from Lake Mulwala and brought it back to camp still alive in the bait tank. I tethered it with about ten metres of line and let it swimming freely to keep it fresh for dinner that night.
Most of our camp crew girls were going into to town, so I took some of the boys up river for a fish for yellow bellys bug didn't get any. We got back before dusk and I see my Cod floating near the bank with a small log next to it. I screamed "WHO THE F**K DID THIS" so loud the whole camp site heard. Some guy came down from the top of the camp site being really apologetic. He told me that he seen his young boys playing near the waters edge for ages and wondered what was so fascinating when he saw the bludgeoned fish on the bank.
I was so cut but really couldn't do nothing about it. Both kids came down to say sorry and their dad gave me two full 9kg gas bottles. I was pretty happy with the gesture, but still cut about the cod as most of our camping group had never tasted Murray cod and were all looking forward to it. No more legal cod caught for the rest of that trip.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

That is a real shame - Murray Cod isn't that easy to catch. I would have been upset too.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
24th September 2012, 10:26 PM
That is a real shame - Murray Cod isn't that easy to catch. I would have been upset too.

Mic

Yes but kids are kids, I probably would have done the same thing if I found a line in the water with a big scary looking fish on the end of it.

choppie
25th September 2012, 01:10 PM

That would really tear the fork out Mego

threedogs
25th September 2012, 05:12 PM
80cm certainly a decent cod, most we get are around 600- 750mm.
Anyway I'm keeping this thread active as now the weather is warming up and tracks will open soon.
Itll be time to get out there, but please be safe, really think about your recovery and make sure the little ones and not so
little are well clear. Plenty of equipment out there for safe recoveries if you don't know, bloody ask, no stupid questions here

MEGOMONSTER
25th September 2012, 08:39 PM
80cm certainly a decent cod, most we get are around 600- 750mm.

Lake Mulwala we normally get good size cod but the river mostly under size.
We normally camp outside Yarrawonga.

threedogs
26th September 2012, 08:30 AM
Didn't think it would happen so soon, Sadly a young tacker and an adult have lost their lives in a boating accident on a lake in central NSW.
Could this have been avoided, thats not for me to say. 7 in a tinne, not sure on boating laws in NSW but Children under 12 I think must wear PDF's
Keep an eye on every one just a complete waste, sympathy to all concerned

MEGOMONSTER
26th September 2012, 04:17 PM
See stupid things like that all the time, too many on the boat all cheering holding up their cans of beer, no life jackets. New south waters now require all person wear PDF on small watercraft.

threedogs
4th October 2012, 06:49 PM
Again I have to drag up this thread,
Another young lady has sadly lost her life paddling on the Murray. I'm positive these "ACCIDENTS" are avoidable
how well thats the hard part. Just make sure every one who goes with you comes home. I'll keep dragging this thread up till
every one gets what I'm on about.

Sympathy to all concerned

MEGOMONSTER
4th October 2012, 11:40 PM
The Murray river is extremely dangerous, especially after major floods which we've had several. All fallen logs, trees, snags have all moved and the river is completely different. You can never trust it. The currents are extremely powerful, strong and fast flowing, if you get caught by the current and your not a good swimmer then the outcome won't d very good. It's very easy to get snagged up on a submerged log/tree and the current WILL pull you under.
The Murray is a force to be weary of.
Play safe around water and never, I mean never take your eyes off children near the water. If boating don't drink alcohol or stay under .05. I recently bent the gear shaft on my outboard after hitting a submerged log. I got complacent because I knew the river so well, I literally knew where every snag was but not after floods. Could have ended much worse.

threedogs
5th October 2012, 09:48 AM
Very true Mego, They let a lot of water out recently and the Murray was running a banker, levels are down now.
One scarey looking force when in full flood, this pic is near Bearii on the way To Picola as the water was half way up
the windsheild getting to camp, after pouring down all night ,we thought it would be wise to get out another way. Not one of our better weekends away LOL. can you see my mate in RH pic, thats the road

Bob
5th October 2012, 10:17 AM
Another thing at this time of the year is to watch out for Snakes.
Keep safe in the Camping Season

threedogs
5th October 2012, 10:22 AM
True I hate them, never step over a log out walking, kick it first then stand on it. have a look then proceed.
snakes agghhhhh give me the willies, touch wood never seen one at this camping spot yet.
Mate was digging scub worms near Yea in Vic, and dug up black snake LMFOA then ran like all get out.
shit it was funny.

MEGOMONSTER
5th October 2012, 04:33 PM
I had a baby red belly black snake cross the river and ip through our camp site bout 5 years back. Haven't seen one since. But I am always sh*t scared, triple checking when out looking and cutting campfire wood.

megatexture
5th October 2012, 04:42 PM
bunch of women! haha

MEGOMONSTER
5th October 2012, 07:58 PM
No, just very careful, cos I'm the type of person to find trouble where ever I go.

MEGOMONSTER
5th October 2012, 08:17 PM
This is why we go camping on the Murray.

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 02:25 PM
This is my shelf just for camping gear only. 20790

threedogs
6th October 2012, 02:37 PM
Thats one horse of a cod, should start new thread for fresh water fishing?
How do you find Auspit??

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 02:56 PM
The first time I took it camping they all look at it and said it a useless piece of shizen, until I cooked on it, now they all say make sure you bring the auspit
It is expensive for what it is, but bit has it paid for itself. Just throw on what ever you want, turn it on, come back when it's ready. Beautiful, can't rate it highly enough. Get one and you won't go back.

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 03:12 PM
Thats one horse of a cod

This Murray Cod is just a Shetland pony compared my mate Karl, his was 123cm
96lbs, just missed the 100lb'der he had been after for the last 7 years.
It was as big as a 4 burner BBQ with side tables. I can't find the picture now but he has a photo with a largish saucepan in it mouth with space for a bigger one.
We found 4 golf balls and a 45cm carp maybe a few hours old in its guts and still hit the lure like a maniac.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 03:14 PM
Got one ,answered other post. 100% agree best piece of kit going around.
I also have spud cage and other bits and pieces, just love it

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 05:12 PM
Good idea with the whistle.

janderson
16th March 2013, 05:48 PM
I just tie a brick to them and send em in for a swim.