PDA

View Full Version : Hiclones

Dmwlking
22nd September 2012, 04:44 PM
I was at the exhaust shop the other day and the owner said i should fit hiclone and finer filter for more performance. Has any one tried this or is it just a waste of money. :210:

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 04:52 PM
The oil on the Finer filter will make your MAF sensor play up, search K&N filters in search engine
As for Hiclone the only person saving money is the people selling them,IMO,,,,,,,, A boomerang that doesn't come back is just a stick.
haven't heard anyone getting better performance or fuel economy from fitting one,[Hiclone] like magnets in the fuel tank

What do you drive?????

mudski
22nd September 2012, 04:54 PM
What he said...I ordered but have cancelled the order for the K & N filter for the moment. Purely based on the above comment. I'm not convinced by it totally though...

happygu
22nd September 2012, 05:49 PM
There have numerous people that have fouled their MAF from an oiled type filter....best to stay away from them if possible.

Most of the problems stem from over oiling, but I can't tell you how much is too much and how much is too little...easier with the standard filter

Mic

Dmwlking
22nd September 2012, 05:53 PM
i drive a 4.2 td gu

happygu
22nd September 2012, 06:00 PM
No MAF for you then....

It is up to you, I've heard some people say they don't filter as well, and that is why they flow more air, whereas other swear by them.

Again, just putting a Finer Filter isn't going to make your car a rocket - you won't even feel the difference, especially against the overwheming power you/we already have.

Hiclones same story, some say that they do nothing, others say they now have a V8 Diesel. You have to save over $200 in fuel to break even, and it will take quite a few tanks to do that ( probably 5 years worth )

Mic

Maxhead
22nd September 2012, 06:02 PM
Three hi clones in a row work wonders mate ;)

........... On the move

happygu
22nd September 2012, 06:03 PM
Also remember that dust is the killer of engines, so if you want your 4.2 to last 500,000klms, in my opinion, I would stick to the factory filters

happygu
22nd September 2012, 06:05 PM
There you go NissHead has thumbs-up for the Hiclones.....

Now wait for some more opinions and see if there is a trend and then go from there.

Mic

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 06:24 PM
Niss head what motor and where did you mount[Fit] them.
Was toying with the idea of fitting an inline fan on the inlet hose
but sounds too much like fishing lures catching fisherman to me

nissannewby
22nd September 2012, 07:14 PM
Hi clones are useless!!!. No point putting on a turbo engine as any "swirling effect" they claim is thrown out the window as soon as it goes through the turbo. The properties of air flow change heaps between the time it goes from your air filter to your combustion chamber. The air is still rammed down your intake port and by this point anything that has gone on with the air prior has changed again. If these things were so good then why arent they fitted to factory engines? Especially in an age where fuel economy is priority.

Save your money and spend it on something else.

Maxhead
22nd September 2012, 07:18 PM
Niss head what motor and where did you mount[Fit] them.
Was toying with the idea of fitting an inline fan on the inlet hose
but sounds too much like fishing lures catching fisherman to me

Sorry mate it was a big wink wing post. Dont waste your money and get yourself a box of beer!! hAHAHAH

Briandon
22nd September 2012, 08:30 PM
Had a Hiclone a few years back, total waste of time and money.
Briandon

mudski
22nd September 2012, 10:55 PM
overwheming[/I] power you/we already have.

I'll have to disagree on that. i put a K & N Filter in my Dmax and that made more of a difference than chipping it. It reallly was that good... No MAF for you, you are lucky.

Ben-e-boy
22nd September 2012, 11:03 PM
I dont understand how does an oiled filter affect a MAF other than and incorrect cleaning/oiling proceedure

megatexture
23rd September 2012, 12:31 AM
im quite happy using the genuine ones, id rather not have to clean the oil off the maf more often as i donow and much rather pull a filter out and dump it then having to cleaning a k&N.
i can see the logic why ppl say dont use the oiled filters with a maf sensor but you need the oil for the filter to do its job but not adding enough oil would over time do damage also with poor filtration, so may not be worth the headach. but each to there own

TimE
23rd September 2012, 11:04 AM
Re Hiclones, read this page (http://www.fuelsaving.info/turbulence.htm) .

happygu
23rd September 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks TimE,

That really puts in all in perspective............IT IS UNLIKELY THAT A HICLONE WILL HAVE ANY AFFECT AT ALL

Mic

choppie
24th September 2012, 07:03 PM
Sorry mate it was a big wink wing post. Dont waste your money and get yourself a box of beer!! hAHAHAH

They tell me the fishing is good down your way Nisshead. Ha Ha Ha

Nissan cedric
11th April 2014, 03:16 PM
Hello nisshead... Nissan Cedric here (newish member) new to the 4x4 scene and just did my first post in the introduction section where I asked about the hiclone. Most suggest just a gimmick.
I see that you have had three. So, I have a 1990 patrol RB30 (petrol), standart tank with 3 inch lift, 30/10 Mickey T's,roof rack, awing and bull bar. I fitted an external snokle. Since fitting the rack etc my fuel economy has gone out the window! Have you any suggestions about hiclone, will it improve the fuel economy (I don't expect miracles) but at the moment on a good day with tyros inflated to 38/40 psi and driving on sealed roads, I get about 350 plus K's per tank, driving sedately.
Hope you can assist in someway again not looking for miracles

Winnie
11th April 2014, 03:25 PM
Hello nisshead... Nissan Cedric here (newish member) new to the 4x4 scene and just did my first post in the introduction section where I asked about the hiclone. Most suggest just a gimmick.
I see that you have had three. So, I have a 1990 patrol RB30 (petrol), standart tank with 3 inch lift, 30/10 Mickey T's,roof rack, awing and bull bar. I fitted an external snokle. Since fitting the rack etc my fuel economy has gone out the window! Have you any suggestions about hiclone, will it improve the fuel economy (I don't expect miracles) but at the moment on a good day with tyros inflated to 38/40 psi and driving on sealed roads, I get about 350 plus K's per tank, driving sedately.
Hope you can assist in someway again not looking for miracles

Nisshead's post was all tongue in cheek mate, he was joking.

mudnut
11th April 2014, 04:38 PM
With a standard carby and 10 x31 A/T tyres I get any where between 14.5 lt/100 to 20ltr/100km depending if I am on the highway, 4wdriving or towing. I regularly get 490 kms plus per tank. The standard inlet for the carby seems to be ample to let the engine breath. I am hoping to fit a snorkel soon, so that might change my economy. A few of the blokes in my local club have fitted a pulley system to lift and store their racks in their sheds because of the drag and weight.

menace 2
11th April 2014, 06:04 PM
was speaking to a bloke the other day about these hiclone things ...he has one and said they don't seem to do anything...stated that he would need to put about 5 of them in in different locations to see any small difference....seems like a waste of money to me