PDA

View Full Version : Jerry cans

Flo-w
20th September 2012, 06:47 PM
I was wondering what the forum's opinion is on jerry cans. I reckon I'll need 4 20l ones and they would go on the roof rack. Is there a reason to go for metal cans if I only intend to keep fuel in them for a day or two at a time? Will jerry cans release fuel fumes? And where's a good place to buy them cheap? I've seen the metal ones for as little as 30$ when on sale.

Cheers!

healy
20th September 2012, 07:06 PM
What part of Melbourne you in mate? There's an Aussie disposals in seaford that had metal 20ltr Jerry's for 15 if I remember correctly

threedogs
20th September 2012, 07:56 PM
Where you going to need extra 80 ltrs of fuel, bit of weight up top??

Winnie
20th September 2012, 08:02 PM
Plastic ones are a lot lighter than steel ones, something to think about if you're gonna be lifting them on and off the roof. I've seen plastic ones bulge in the heat, they were cheap ones though. If I was gonna buy one I'd probably go plastic but would only buy a good quality one.

krbrooking
20th September 2012, 10:08 PM
I have one of each the metal one was my dads that he had for quite some time and the Plastic one I bought dec last year the metal one has not leaked once or let any fumes out. The plastic one does the job but has to stand upright when full or it leaks. With putting them on your roof try and stick with the rule of keeping the weight as close to centre of gravity as you can, especially 4wding.

healy
20th September 2012, 10:40 PM
I have one of each the metal one was my dads that he had for quite some time and the Plastic one I bought dec last year the metal one has not leaked once or let any fumes out. The plastic one does the job but has to stand upright when full or it leaks. With putting them on your roof try and stick with the rule of keeping the weight as close to centre of gravity as you can, especially 4wding.

Yeah so that way you can drive over little twigs on the ground

P4trol
20th September 2012, 11:11 PM
The plastic willow ones are good with the handle on the back.

Supercrap has a handy function on their website. It emails you when the item you selected is on sale. Just don't lose the password. Might allow you to buy 5 for the price of 4 due to the special.

Don't fill them right up. Leave room for expansion. When doing up the lids, gently squeeze the container so the sides stick in a bit. Then do it up. Then you have some room for expansion without stretching the containers or venting fumes.

Tipsy-tap

Clunk
20th September 2012, 11:16 PM
Guess it all depends on what else you're going to be carrying up there. Your roof is only rated to carry 100kg (might be 110).......... 4 jerry cans would be approx 80kg, then there's the weight of your rack.... And yes I know there's plenty of folk out there who have carried a damn sight more but not something I would do.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Bob
21st September 2012, 08:19 AM
I would look at getting a long Range Fuel Tank rather than carry 4 Jerry Cans of Fuel on Roof Rack.
Your Centre of Gravity is affected and it is dangerous.
Just my thoughts

Flo-w
21st September 2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies!
I've a petrol/LPG GQ with 100l LPG and 70l petrol. I couldn't test her yet in only 4WD through a full tank to get precise figures but I use some 25l LPG / 100km driving HWY and around 28l when cruising dirt roads in 2WD and a few sports with 4WD to get through.

My estimates go like this:
100l LPG for 300km (33l / 100km)
70l petrol for 250km (28l / 100km)

I've gone through the "Discover Australia 4WD" atlas by Ron & Viv Moon for distances without fuel. The longest seem to be 750km for the Anne Beadell followed by the Gunbarrel with 720km and the Canning with 690km with a fuel drop.
That's why I was aiming for being able to carry fuel for 800km which means another 70l.

In my opinion the best place for the jerry cans would be between rear seats and cargo barrier when the rear seats are folded to the front. Super low and between the axis. But inside the car. Hence the fumes question. Especially because the Missus is allergic to them.

I didn't know the roof is rated to 100 or 110kg. I probably already have that with the 60kg roof top tent and a 2nd space wheel on a steel rack...

threedogs
21st September 2012, 11:24 AM
Far out I'd sell it and get a Diesel if you want to do big miles. cost wise it'll cost you a fortune for gas if you can get it at all and maybe $2.50 for ULP
I have 165 ltrs of diesel and think taking it easy on the roads you mention I should get a 1200 range at a cost of around $300 a fill

Do the Math
Dont think you can carry ULP inside the 4x4, fumes

Winnie
21st September 2012, 11:26 AM
That's pretty expensive to do 1200kms? Would cost me under $200 on gas.

oncedisturbed
21st September 2012, 11:26 AM
I carry 2 x Willow Jerry cans, they are very good and sturdy plus they were the only one's to fit my Kaymar Jerry Holder snuggly, the other's were either to wide and wouldn't fit or thinner / taller so they would bounce around the holder's.

Plastic in most instances I find to be better as they are more flexible to allow for small expansion adn a lot lighter, the metal one's are good because they are stronger and take more punishment but heavier.

Even though many people have jerry's on the roof, my opinion would be to use low profile jerry's to reduce the rig from being too top heavy and fuel sloshing too much.

With 2 x jerry's, my troll allows me to carry 185L on board without any stored inside the rig

threedogs
21st September 2012, 03:20 PM
Kristoffa you missed the point, if you can get gas and I doubt you can you'll be paying maybe $1.20 plus a litre. now if you can do 1200ks for $200 on outback fuel prices, save me a seat.
read the Cape York thread even diesel was $2.15. Not sure of my figures but thats $344 for me to fill up. You can't as no Gas up the Cape yet

Winnie
21st September 2012, 03:25 PM
Definitely understand that, gas is the wrong fuel choice for long distance touring. I just was under the impression that diesel was cheaper to run than that. Perhaps you were exaggerating to prove your point?

threedogs
21st September 2012, 03:48 PM
Alls good, travelled to Birdsville and the corners in a dual fuel 4x4. Also had 165ltr of ULP in that truck. We just left the gas full all the time "just in case".
IMO if doing these big miles diesel would be my choice its everywhere. Long range fuel or an AUX fuel tank would be high on my list for OUTBACK TOURING

Winnie
21st September 2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah I've got a 125L petrol tank, more than enough for what I do.

P4trol
22nd September 2012, 01:19 AM
Sometimes the gas tank won't fill on hot days (got car/tank/road)

Don't take the jerries inside the vehicle. Stinks when they get hot and expand. I have done it with petrol, but not fun. Squeeze air out of jerries. Keep car as cool as possible. Put them inside plastic garbage bags. Empty into tank ASAP.

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 02:52 AM
And what cold day are you going to fill up in the NT,lol especially Darwin.
Its pulled up from underground at a low temp, so must expand quickly
any reason gas wont fill on hot days? IMO try to avoid jerry cans unless a once only trip
as you have to cart them around empty for the rest of the trip

P4trol
22nd September 2012, 02:07 PM
Lol. You are right. Not many days like that in Darwin.

Next time you are at your favourite servo in the NT, ask if they can tell you the fuel temperature in the underground tanks. It quite possibly will be around 30 degrees Celsius. When K-town has a cool morning, you can feel the warm through the nozzle as you fill up

Not my vehicle, but a mate has a diesel gas setup. After burning around all day, with hot exhaust/weather/hot road, the gas won't fill. Need to do it in the cooler morning.

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 02:52 PM
Yes of course, it will be turning into gas, DOH
What motor is the diesel/gas set up on?
was thinking of doing it but just something else to go wrong

P4trol
22nd September 2012, 03:00 PM
3l patrol.

Apparently there was a rebate for such a conversion. It's finding someone that will do it now.

Heaps of power with the gas. While doing remote travel (no gas servos) the gas is just used for when power is needed.

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah thats what I thought, pay $3500 for little bit extra power, which you pay for anyway via the gas 68cents down in mexico
what are they paying in the territory

oncedisturbed
22nd September 2012, 03:43 PM
68c?? Local 1 to me in WA (north of Perth) had gas at 89.5

Flo-w
23rd September 2012, 12:15 AM
Wow, this thread has taken off. Thanks for all the comments. Much to think about.

Regarding lpg: I drove a dual fuel 4WD around Australia already once; had no issues with filling the tank.

twase
23rd September 2012, 08:11 AM
I am grappling with the same issue as you with and additional problem of a caravan on the back. I am expecting a bit better economy than you though with the BA motor and SVI gas.
With the BF fairmont I am getting around 280k's per 50L of gas with the van on the back so given the extra weight and aero burden of the patrol I would be hoping for around 400k's per tank with the van in tow.

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 08:44 PM
i have the same issue with my car do you worry about travelling 700ks with only 800ks max fuel you would hope nothing goes wrong and ur fuel consumption estimates are spot on

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 08:46 PM
68c?? Local 1 to me in WA (north of Perth) had gas at 89.5

thats what i pay to in perth.... recent trip tp busselton saw gas at $ 101

P4trol
22nd October 2012, 10:05 PM
Just tried 5x jerries on the roof. Although it was ok on the highway, the extra weight up there took a little to get used to. I wouldn't consider any challenging tracks with it up there. Maybe stash and come back to it. Awesome peace of mind. Came home with three full ones. Oh well!

Tipsy-tap

oncedisturbed
22nd October 2012, 10:16 PM
TBH I wouldn't even dream of driving anywhere with 100L of fuel on my roof, not just for the possible risk of leakage etc and covering the car but waaay to top heavy

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:16 PM
I carried 60lts on the roof for my Madigan line trip. 145lt in the back and 30 in the sub for a total of 235lts. I used 210 on the crossing. Diesel TD42Ti.

these were towards the back and in the middle. over the C Pillar

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18189&d=1342696372

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18193&d=1342697241

Timmo
23rd October 2012, 12:28 AM
Im looking at getting some good Quality plastic ones for the trip back up top.....

Clunk
23rd October 2012, 12:45 AM
Im looking at getting some good Quality plastic ones for the trip back up top.....

shame you didn't get yourself to Repco over the weekend, they had a storewide 20% off sale......................... all i got was some brake fluid, didnt realise the sale was on until I got to the counter, plus it was 5 mins before they shut but the lovely lady behind the counter gave me a 20%off voucher which last until end of December.... which was nice

Chubba
13th January 2014, 09:33 PM
This is how I carry my extra fuel. 6x10L

my third 256
14th January 2014, 08:30 AM
must be a pain in the ass to get them off

Chubba
13th September 2015, 08:03 PM
must be a pain in the ass to get them off

Not really. Every night after making camp I stand on the side step and take one or two down, they are only 10L so not too heavy and put them into the tank. The hard part is climbing up and having the pump handed to me to top them up and before everyone comes on and says I can't do that I know. If its earthed its ok. and that's as simple as letting one of the tie downs hang to the ground. I did find myself in a tricky situation once when we were coming down Brewery track (took the five vehicles about two and half hours) and I was on a hell of an incline going over a step down and the motor stalled. Quickly worked out that only having a 1/4 tank of petrol in the sub and the incline the fuel uptake was dry. Having LPG you might think no problem, just flick the switch but my system only starts on petrol and at 1500revs will change to LPG automatically. So I had to stay put with my foot firmly on the break while my crew clambered up top to get two 10l jerrys down and into the tank. Started up and continued the crawl down with lessen learnt. So thinking about your question 256 ,yeah it is a pain in the arse.

RedRoadRunner
15th December 2015, 09:26 PM
should have got a ute...