PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Engine Bay.

GQ89
20th June 2010, 07:03 PM
Bit of a simple question but just curious if anyone here has any special tecniques in cleaning the engine bay.

I still have bull dust caked on from my last trip and just want to double check what chemicals and treatment you guys would use to get it off and see metal again...haha

Any secrets or good techniques?

Cheers,

Chris60
20th June 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi GQ89, I just simply use degreaser,leave it for a while and then use the low pressure spray soap and then low pressure rinse.

Always use low pressure under the hood and be careful what your spraying.

I use high pressure around the edges of the hood on the body but not on the engine itself.

Never had any issues and it comes up great! :)

Hope that helps, thats just my basic use, would be nice to know if anyone else has any sneaky tricks though.

Timbo
21st June 2010, 12:58 PM
I usually clean my engine when it's cold. So before I start it up, load up the engine bay with degreaser, let it sit for 5 mins, then I give it another go with the degreaser, making sure I get all the hard to reach bits, then start the truck up and rinse off with high pressure. Don't really need to worry about using high pressure, it won't stuff anything up. Just keep it away from any flakey paint you might have.

Nissan Kid
23rd June 2010, 01:31 AM
Thats all i've done in the past, I have also been thinking about getting it steam cleaned but for $80 its not worth it considering im just going to go and get it dirty again

kingy
25th June 2010, 06:55 AM
Howdy all

I hear what ya Nissan Kid but I try to clean it and keep it clean easier in the long run it is easier to clean something that was clean to start with IE hasnt been left for months to set rock hard etc also a good way to spot leaks early

Cheers

PS I am akin from that other forum

AB
25th June 2010, 07:22 AM
Howdy all

I hear what ya Nissan Kid but I try to clean it and keep it clean easier in the long run it is easier to clean something that was clean to start with IE hasnt been left for months to set rock hard etc also a good way to spot leaks early

Cheers

PS I am akin from that other forum

Welcome kingy, Don't forget to introduce yourself here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions) and tell us about your rig here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides-***NEW***) when you get chance mate.

kingy
25th June 2010, 07:40 AM
Will do mate I will wait until I am home so i can fluff about and do the whole pic thing aswell

Cheers

patch697
25th June 2010, 08:20 AM
G/day Ambrose I use a product called CT18 Truck wash. Its what the truckys use to get all the road grime,grease & oil off there trucks. It works well for me & I find it doesn't leave that powdery finish on the paint & alloy parts that some degreasers can do, its safe enough to use on the hole thing in fact, just follow the directions. Cheers Paul

GQ89
25th June 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks Paul, Ill give that a shot.

Yeah thats why I was asking koz I didn't like using degreaser and was hoping there was something else to use.

Kenko
18th May 2012, 12:02 AM
Have a go at this one for saving a few bucks. 4 litres of kero and mix in a concentrate of dish washing liquid, "Kit" brand can easily be picked up at the supermarket. Mix together and shake like hell. Brush it on the oily greasy parts and let sit for a while. Dig around the hard stuff with a stiff brush. Low pressure to wash off on a cold motor. Cold motor as it does not cause steam that can penetrate into the electrics. Dont aim the water at the vulnerable electrical systems. Best of cleaning

Robo
18th May 2012, 01:29 PM
Have a go at this one for saving a few bucks. 4 litres of kero and mix in a concentrate of dish washing liquid, "Kit" brand can easily be picked up at the supermarket. Mix together and shake like hell. Brush it on the oily greasy parts and let sit for a while. Dig around the hard stuff with a stiff brush. Low pressure to wash off on a cold motor. Cold motor as it does not cause steam that can penetrate into the electrics. Dont aim the water at the vulnerable electrical systems. Best of cleaning

Sorry buddy, but I thought dish washing liquid near a car was a big no no.
The kero by its self will do the job of degreasing very well.
but will leave an oily residue to attract more dust.
a degreaser that washes away seems the go.
Even CT18 as mentioned also can work and supposedly doesn't cause rust "not caustic" eating at your pride and joy.
I personally degrease cold, wash off with adaptor gun and then compressed air to blow water away.
3x a year fish oil, where I can to prevent rust in engine bay in the nooks and cranneys.
Attached pic is the yellow water blaster which connects to compressor making a light weight gurnie of sorts.
water flow adjustable like a normal hose fitting.
The above tool is my radiator back flushing tool a blow gun moded but converts back to a blower.
I use this on my Maverick and GTR skyline also, so think it safe enough for the Patrol hey.