PDA

View Full Version : Camp or Cooking gadgets

threedogs
19th September 2012, 04:39 PM
Thought I'd start this thread to see what everyone has made to make life easier at camp.
I have plenty but will start with this one, mine are mainly cooking.
This is my double Bedourie, found a base at the OP shop[great place for camping items]
Thought of making a second oven. In the end I've drilled 30 or so holes in the bottom.
put 2 inches of water in the bottom one, put a bag of Chat potatoes or Fish of your choich in the Top Oven and place the lid on top. Great for STEAMING anything.

AB
19th September 2012, 05:31 PM
I can't post links as I'm on the phone but do a search on "craptastic 2000"

Best camping accessory I have ever used...lmao

megatexture
19th September 2012, 05:46 PM
here ya go mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8306-AB-s-new-craptastic-2000-Bush-Toilet&p=183166

looks umm handy still working out if id use it in the kitchen!

MudRunnerTD
19th September 2012, 05:47 PM

Craptastic 2000 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8306-AB-s-new-craptastic-2000-Bush-Toilet&p=183166)

threedogs
19th September 2012, 05:49 PM
Shite AB thats an invalid aid, Work cover gave me one after my first OP
Mate takes one, Tried porti potti and shower tent last camp, but head pokes out of tent
come clean up time, lol More cooking gadgets I think
Mega got it.

GUtsy ute
19th September 2012, 07:48 PM
I made this arm for the solar shower or the 12 volt one, takes up no room and being aluminium is light as.
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/El%20Questro%20camp%2013%20June%202009_zps91a30f6b .jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GUtsyute/El%20Questro%20camp%2013%20June%202009%20(2)_zps59 21b577.jpg

taslucas
19th September 2012, 08:00 PM

thats exactly what i wanted to be reminded about right after camp cooking gear! spew!

And is that a drip youve pictured there gutsy? lol

threedogs
19th September 2012, 08:27 PM
Neat work GUtsy, that what I like to see, sort of like fence wire solutions

threedogs
20th September 2012, 11:09 AM
Bumped.... seems not many into camping, oh well heres an all rounder to make things easier stringing up a tarp.
Tie or rachet strap these to a tree, then use the eyebolts to tie off tarps, strap is gentle on the tree, works a treat.
make up 6 and just weld eyebolt on, they come in very handy. made from 50x25x2 RHS

Winnie
20th September 2012, 11:13 AM
That's a bloody good idea. I've been following this thread but don't have anything to add really. Only thing I've really done is make an extended handle for my cast iron fry pan. Whoever thought to put wooden handles on those has got rocks in their head.

threedogs
20th September 2012, 11:25 AM
Put a pic up, thats why I started the thread, the reject shop sells silicon handles you can slip over the cast iron one. I put pic here shortly

Just realised you use different style frypan, I've taken handles off most of my pots bar one, and fit longer ones, better around the campfire

The one I left wont get hot no matter where you put it, might have to do autopsy on it to figure out why

Winnie
20th September 2012, 11:27 AM
All I did was weld a steel rod onto a bit of all thread and screwed it in, nothing special lol.

threedogs
20th September 2012, 11:49 AM
here's the silicon handle, just in case the welding glove is out of reach.
other pic is extended handle on one of my pots.

threedogs
20th September 2012, 12:06 PM
Bumped again. If any Vics interested in a meet and greet on 12th of Oct. weekend.
Going fishing up the Murray at a place called Bearii. just north of Shepparton.
I'll be at the top of Haynes Rd on river rd at
35 deg 51' 46.22" S
145 deg 20' 32.42" E approx or UHF 26 when you're in the area all welcome
I'm leaving fri morning with some mates, others arrive fri night to sat, morning

Winnie
20th September 2012, 12:14 PM
Problem with my handle is it is too heavy and u can't sit the pan flat without propping uo the handle. Small price to pay

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

taslucas
20th September 2012, 04:02 PM
What about two fold out legs on the end of your handle?

Ps :-):-)

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
20th September 2012, 04:11 PM
That sounds like a good idea.
Heres one to match AB's its called a SHE/WEE.
No idea how it works ,dont even want to know but.
Your partner can stand behind a tree with you and do no, 1s standing up, scares the bits off me thinking about it

macca
5th October 2012, 04:51 PM
These are my jailers keys

Hit the loop on the key with a hammer if needed, shovel coals under for a slow stew or throw the lid on as a frypan, BBQ plate etc

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201224.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201225.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201227.jpg

megatexture
5th October 2012, 04:56 PM
im liking this one thats brilliant not seen it before cheers, made or bought?

jack
5th October 2012, 04:58 PM
Here's another idea for traveling:

http://www.bumperdumper.com/

The BigFella
5th October 2012, 05:02 PM
Here's another idea for traveling:

http://www.bumperdumper.com/

Just my luck the Missus would drive off and Id have to run really fast like a bloody crab,,,,,,,,

The BigFella
5th October 2012, 05:03 PM

Hit the loop on the key with a hammer if needed, shovel coals under for a slow stew or throw the lid on as a frypan, BBQ plate etc

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201224.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201225.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan/NissanForumOct201227.jpg

that is the best invention I have seen for quite a while. Im gunna make me one if thats alright, or was it purhased?

macca
5th October 2012, 05:07 PM
I made it, fiddlin around in the shed on a long Summer evening.

I love daylight saving

The BigFella
5th October 2012, 05:12 PM
mate, thats gold!!!! I've got heaps of little gizmo thingymajigs for camp cooking but none on photo,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ill have to get them out over the weekend and take some pics.

Love my camp ovens, nothing better then a slow roast,,,,,,,,,

The BigFella
5th October 2012, 05:14 PM
now we use one of these for our dunny. Its called Jimmy's Thunderbox, we've had ours for around 6 years now and he's seen a few dumps!

http://dtfdl8d42g4o8.cloudfront.net/core/media/media.nl?id=3059&c=1118808&h=c3ccea6623e64f67312f

macca
5th October 2012, 05:21 PM
now we use one of these for our dunny. Its called Jimmy's Thunderbox, we've had ours for around 6 years now and he's seen a few dumps!

http://dtfdl8d42g4o8.cloudfront.net/core/media/media.nl?id=3059&c=1118808&h=c3ccea6623e64f67312f

Got one of those they are great value, ours cost $100 delivered. Dads 82 so it makes life easy for him, and me!!!

threedogs
5th October 2012, 07:12 PM
Thats what I'm talking about, hope you had a patent lol.
Those jimmy boxes are pricey eh, must like your morning constitutional
Grabbed this stainless out of the Laser cutters bin with permission.
8mm Stainless only for cooking, used to have cast iron BBQ grills
This is heaps lighter.All pulls apart and fits into a bag {FLAT}
Thought Bigfella would like the small Anvil

macca
5th October 2012, 09:02 PM
Better to pay for a good seat than fetch the old bloke out of the hole he dug for hisself!!!!!

The BigFella
6th October 2012, 03:06 AM
Better to pay for a good seat than fetch the old bloke out of the hole he dug for hisself!!!!!

My thoughts exactly, Im 6ft 3in and about 160kgs! I NEED something sturdy under my fat arse!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive done the straddle dance and it aint fun, it took us a couple of months to finally pay that much just to sit on, but it has worked out for the better!

my third 256
6th October 2012, 06:14 AM
Thats what I'm talking about, hope you had a patent lol.
Those jimmy boxes are pricey eh, must like your morning constitutional
Grabbed this stainless out of the Laser cutters bin with permission.
8mm Stainless only for cooking, used to have cast iron BBQ grills
This is heaps lighter.All pulls apart and fits into a bag {FLAT}
Thought Bigfella would like the small Anvil
thet bloody wooden handle again must have jumped out of the fire onto the fry pan

threedogs
6th October 2012, 07:51 AM
Ifs that for me ,I don't use the wooden handle pots at camp, I extended all the handles on some stainless steel pots
The chicken fryer with the lid is over 150 years old.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 04:23 PM
Heres one you may have already BigFella
Old stainless fire extinghisher cut up and a tube welded down through the centre
great when a few of us going as plenty of hot water on tap for coffee/tea
or just washing the dishes.
for those who don't know how this works, fill with water and place the lot on coals.
When boiling just pour cold water in the top and boiling water will come out the spout.
easy peasy

The BigFella
6th October 2012, 06:48 PM
Heres one you may have already BigFella
Old stainless fire extinghisher cut up and a tube welded down through the centre
great when a few of us going as plenty of hot water on tap for coffee/tea
or just washing the dishes.
for those who don't know how this works, fill with water and place the lot on coals.
When boiling just pour cold water in the top and boiling water will come out the spout.
easy peasy

Thanks mate, I dont have one of those. Looks like Im going to be busy in the work shop,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
6th October 2012, 06:55 PM
No Probs gunna try your jailer keys tomorrow, should be able to make the ring with my anvil cold,
was thinking of chain links welded to some 8mm-10mm rod for the legs

Don't have to weld the top on water boiler, you'll see as you go along, just a flap to stop all the ash /rubbish
going in, bigger the better really, mate told me to cut 3-4 in out of it, spewing I did now
would have made no difference whats so ever, we still talk BFF and all lol

Any idea what trade those clamps are used in, one stamped HENRY BOKER

macca
6th October 2012, 07:40 PM
No Probs gunna try your jailer keys tomorrow, should be able to make the ring with my anvil cold,
was thinking of chain links welded to some 8mm-10mm rod for the legs

Breach of copywrite or something like that LOL

Cost you a frosty when you show me around your museum!!!!!

threedogs
6th October 2012, 07:50 PM
SHite dont talk to me about copy copyright, The amount of people that have copied me, unbelieveable. I get mates to ring like secret shoppers. they swear black and blue they designed their things, I say BS and can prove it they cant and they know it. so all they tell you is porkie pies and no one knows any better unless I say something but sore point with me.
another time hey

Yeah got heaps of 1850s stuff blacksmith etc love it

threedogs
7th October 2012, 02:58 PM
Yo Macca what size rod did you use, think I've over engineered again. I've used 12mm
thinking 8mm would of been heaps? might have to ark the forge up to bend some steel.
did this cold,still needs a bit more hammering. What do you think of drilling thread out of 1/2 in nuts
then welding spikes to them.? know it'll work but what you rekon. only using stuff lying around, makes better camp stuff IMO

The BigFella
7th October 2012, 06:03 PM
youre a bloody legend threedogs, fairdinkum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
7th October 2012, 06:08 PM
If you build it, ,,,,,,They will come,,, thanks mate

macca
7th October 2012, 09:29 PM
Yo Macca what size rod did you use? What do you think of drilling thread out of 1/2 in nuts
then welding spikes to them.?

The stuff I used was 10mm, scrap lying about in the shed.

Bent it in the vice, bend move a bit, bend move a bit and kept repeating.

Nuts would work fine I reckon.

threedogs
8th October 2012, 12:56 PM
I have heaps of laser cut bits from proto types etc, so searching around found these spacers 10mm thick.
These are gunna be around till the year 2525 ad.yip Hee I'm not
Yes I know cut the grass threedogs, do this threedogs sheeesh

The BigFella
8th October 2012, 02:49 PM
the grass will keep for another day, good to see you have your priorities right!

threedogs
8th October 2012, 04:27 PM
This one is from a long time ago, but still worked a treat, son boiled the guts out of one of the 12v kettles and melted the casing. couldn't throw it out
cause I think if I look at it long enough I'll come up with something, and this is it. Threedogs famous hotdog cooker. at the start of any trip fill with water
throw in some hotdogs, secure lid and drive, about an hour to heat up properly. even had thermostat and light. sadly dont use it any more so it's
gone "Straight to the pool room".Must admit missus not to happy about drilling hole in her pot, but you get that on the big jobs, eh Old 12v Makita drills with no batteries work great off Aux battery as well
never throw them away.

The BigFella
8th October 2012, 04:37 PM
mate, your wasted in what ever you do,,,,,,,,

you should be on the NEW INVENTERS you'd clean up for sure,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
8th October 2012, 04:51 PM
Just waiting for next challenge,{ MACCA} yeah lot of people call me the ideas man LOL
Or the guy with waaay too much time on his hands
I have lots of pieces like this laser cut, which helped when making my fire grate set up'
small ones are stainless for some ones job that they cancelled. The right angle ones are if
you want to make those steps that go over your wheel or any gadget really that needs to fold.
want to concerntrate on making something that will winch a tyre/rim combo from the ground to the roof rack.
Hard enough able bodied let alone someone 65 ish with the wife in the middle of the Simmo.
Long way from anywhere if injured. Have 3 proto types but need one style fits all. it will be 12v thats for sure, we'll see

threedogs
12th October 2012, 12:45 PM
All done Big fella need to keep these exclusive, now only 3 known sets,Macca other pic is a jewellers vice mid 1800s and the Blue anvil is Brand new modellers one, only paper weight now.

Plenty more gizmos and gadgets

Pukie83
12th October 2012, 01:30 PM
great ideA for tying off to the tree!

threedogs
12th October 2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah I like that one too, jump on a mates back to get it up high, thats about it, just make 6 or so and throw them in with your camping gear

threedogs
13th October 2012, 11:56 AM
found these on ebay UK, Looked affordable, IMO

2TROLLFAM
16th October 2012, 08:52 PM
That sounds like a good idea.
Heres one to match AB's its called a SHE/WEE.
No idea how it works ,dont even want to know but.
Your partner can stand behind a tree with you and do no, 1s standing up, scares the bits off me thinking about it

Tried it and OMG!! What a waste of money ... Peed down my leg LOL

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

Winnie
16th October 2012, 08:55 PM
Does that come under TMI??? LMAO

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 08:59 PM
Tried it and OMG!! What a waste of money ... Peed down my leg LOL

o_O nasty!!

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Got me beat how they work Amelia, not my area of expertise, but would imagine bloody painful
Plus what can you knock against the tree to get the drops off LOL
it just a gimick eh has to be, too much wine hey boys watch this OMG

2TROLLFAM
16th October 2012, 09:15 PM
TMI?? LMFAO I ain't even started yet!! and yes I'd been drinking - cant shake it like a man!!!

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:26 PM
Not to take this the wrong way, but how can one size fit all?? My mate sells these and I can't get any info off him for the Ladies in my 4x4 club.
They have their place but don't know where,

2TROLLFAM
17th October 2012, 12:16 AM
Not to take this the wrong way, but how can one size fit all?? My mate sells these and I can't get any info off him for the Ladies in my 4x4 club.
They have their place but don't know where,

LMFAO!!! Do you "really" want me to answer that? It is after all pretty obvious

Only know that my experience put me off - got it got when I used to spend all weekend out on Moreton bay fishing .. Found it totally useless!! Would rather hang over side of the boat or go for a swim LOL much easier

threedogs
17th October 2012, 07:53 AM
Go swimming think it would look more "Lady Like". phew glad thats finished with

The BigFella
17th October 2012, 03:51 PM
me too, it was getting rather awkward there for a minute or three,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2TROLLFAM
17th October 2012, 03:52 PM
SOOKS !! lol

The BigFella
17th October 2012, 04:15 PM
Yep, thats me.

jack
17th October 2012, 04:26 PM
Actually saw these in Amsterdam, massive shortage of public conveniences and a lot of people. The council drops in mobile 'pit stops' that are unisex and very public. Out in the open, no walls or doors and for men - BUT apparently ladies do use them later at night with the aid of widely available paper device similar to that mentioned earlier. Because of the fragile mortar in the old buildings they take a very dim view of people who erode it further, hefty fines and enforced.
Here's a picture from the web:
http://janeduttonutrecht.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/public-male-toilet-amsterdam2.jpg

Cheers

threedogs
17th October 2012, 04:58 PM
Nah you can't do that, is that for real, I know they're open people, really out in the open like that.
Then again I've had a number 2 on the ring road, after reaction to meds. LOL

threedogs
17th October 2012, 06:12 PM
X 2 on that Amen
Big fella wheres the pics of your gadgets and gizmos??

The BigFella
17th October 2012, 07:00 PM
X 2 on that Amen
Big fella wheres the pics of your gadgets and gizmos??

floating around the netasphere,,,,,,,,,,

BigRAWesty
17th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Very nice work guys. Hope to build the hot water donkey soon, but I like the pot ring.. Very neat..

Cheers from Westy

Westy's Accessories.

threedogs
18th October 2012, 06:59 PM
Seeing I get bored easy, here a fancy pot passer, it's an old spear from a spear gun I found diving years ago down Phillip Is way,
Using champagne ? Corks as they are great insulators against heat, I fashioned this after heating in the fire and shaping it.
great for moving wood around the fire and re positioning pots etc.
The other gadget is a wind break for those small stoves, great value $10 ebay, even comes with carry bag
some may notice grass has been cut, got another great gizmo when wood is wet.

The BigFella
18th October 2012, 07:06 PM
Seeing I get bored easy, here a fancy pot passer, it's an old spear from a spear gun I found diving years ago down Phillip Is way,
Using champagne ? Corks as they are great insulators against heat, I fashioned this after heating in the fire and shaping it.
great for moving wood around the fire and re positioning pots etc.
The other gadget is a wind break for those small stoves, great value $10 ebay, even comes with carry bag
some may notice grass has been cut, got another great gizmo when wood is wet.

like the Axe, Im an axe lover from way back!
Must be all the fire wood I cut as a kid,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ive got my grandfather's old axe with leather cover to boot,,,,,,,

threedogs
18th October 2012, 07:12 PM
Decent racing axe big money too , would love one but just for show, check back got a pic somewhere of 30 axe revolving axe stand,
the wet wood gadget is like blacksmith forge at camp. lilo pump 20mm x 100 heater hose and 1 mtr of s/s pipe. you can get steel white with this freaking awesome

Winnie
18th October 2012, 07:16 PM
Got that same axe how good are they!! Windbreaker is a good idea, took me FOREVER to boil the billy on the little stove last time because too much wind.

The BigFella
18th October 2012, 07:22 PM
sometimes the simplest things make the biggest difference,

threedogs
18th October 2012, 07:30 PM
X 2 on the Fiskar love it , don't know what this is made of as its got no weight at all

Winnie
18th October 2012, 07:33 PM
Steel and fibreglass :D

threedogs
18th October 2012, 07:36 PM
Nah, handle is alloy, I think but the head is composite of some description, weighs under 1kg easy

Winnie
18th October 2012, 07:39 PM
The handles of all the Fiskars axes are fibreglass, just looked it up and this one is too.

threedogs
18th October 2012, 07:44 PM
OK thats the handle but handle same weight as head, nothing, don't stress, only for around camp.
Off topic but these were only $6 from ebay For 4 with lock spanner/key ring

Winnie
18th October 2012, 08:39 PM
What are they? Tyre valve caps?

threedogs
18th October 2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah chrome plated, got two sets one for my OE mags the other for my camper trailer, I use plain steel on the muddies.
Everyone should have steel not plastic valve caps

BigRAWesty
18th October 2012, 09:32 PM
Very cool. Just grabbed a set of stainless ones myself.. Love the little spanner/ key ring

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
18th October 2012, 10:55 PM
Looks cools but careful not too heavy for ignition, think some even had an allen key too

2TROLLFAM
19th October 2012, 12:07 AM
Off to find them now :)

BigRAWesty
19th October 2012, 12:20 AM
Looks cools but careful not too heavy for ignition, think some even had an allen key too

Yea good point. Will let yas know.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Clunk
19th October 2012, 01:53 AM
Actually saw these in Amsterdam, massive shortage of public conveniences and a lot of people. The council drops in mobile 'pit stops' that are unisex and very public. Out in the open, no walls or doors and for men - BUT apparently ladies do use them later at night with the aid of widely available paper device similar to that mentioned earlier. Because of the fragile mortar in the old buildings they take a very dim view of people who erode it further, hefty fines and enforced.
Here's a picture from the web:
http://janeduttonutrecht.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/public-male-toilet-amsterdam2.jpg

Cheers

Nah you can't do that, is that for real, I know they're open people, really out in the open like that.
Then again I've had a number 2 on the ring road, after reaction to meds. LOL

you should see the ones they have in some of the cities in the UK............... pop right out of the ground, bloody good idea if you ask me!!! lmao

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 11:59 AM
Right-o here are some of my camping gadgets.
I haven't made these out of necessity , rather I have sourced them through online sites and specialist camping suppliers such as "East Coast Camping Solutions".

The first is our trusty HillBilly camp oven, absolutely love this oven!
You can see we have the LPG burner for those wet sessions or for when solid fuel is banned.
There is also a canvas side skirt for the windy days or evenings, helps keep the heat where you want it.
I also have the vegi ring that slips into the oven and sits just below the top to bake those vegi's nice and brown.
Then it packs away into its own carry bag ready for the next cook-up!

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 12:04 PM
Now I have my oldest oven I use, mid sized unit made from the traditional cast iron.
Nothing special, only the memories I guess,,,,

Then there's my old sandwich toaster, this old fella has been in my dilly bag for over 25 years, would like to have a dollar for every egg n bacon sandwich or banana and a soft sprinkle of sugar toasted for 5 minutes in the coals,,,,,,,,,,,,, actually this recipe works for what ever fruit you have in camp, just butter both sides of the bread, slices of your preferred fruit and a slight sprinkle of sugar pop it in the coals and wipe the dribble of your chin,,,,,

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 12:09 PM
this is not a newy but is well worth the money, its an Eco-Billy from Australian Geographic.
I found an old metho burner from an old cooker and they fitted together like a finger in a donut!
Now we have boiling water in under 4 minutes,,, awesome!
I found the Coleman Lantern carry bag fits the job quite well, keeps it all together including the metho!

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 12:12 PM
and who doesnt go camping with out a couple of these little baby's in there kit,,,,,

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 12:18 PM
So what are these used for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The long one has two shelves and a solid bottom,,
The smaller one has no shelves and two lids, go figure,,

my third 256
20th October 2012, 12:30 PM
and who doesnt go camping with out a couple of these little baby's in there kit,,,,,
dont get caught using those babies

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 12:58 PM
dont get caught using those babies

yeah I know, but they do work well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
nothing wrong with some underground mutton in the camp oven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
20th October 2012, 02:17 PM
Now you have shown us your cooking gear, box not for that
possible an old tilley lamp, but don't think it'll fit.
Any marks on traps, normally a spade shape on trigger plate?
Box not that big , dunno. Sieve?

Be very very quiet I'm hunting Wabbits????

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 03:09 PM
The small box with the double lid is a worm box!
Fill it with your soil and worms, when they have scampered to the bottom of the box simply turn it over and open other end!

Now the bigger box is a hand made yabbie box with removable shelves made out of timber and shade cloth. Just add a little bit of water, keep in a shady spot and your yabbies will be fighting fit,,,

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 03:11 PM
Now you have shown us your cooking gear, box not for that
possible an old tilley lamp, but don't think it'll fit.
Any marks on traps, normally a spade shape on trigger plate?
Box not that big , dunno. Sieve?

Be very very quiet I'm hunting Wabbits????

Shhhhhhhhh, wong way wabbit! Fwoh wokks at him quick!

I have a sorted collection of traps, some date back to the 30's, some were only purchased a couple of years ago, yes you can still buy if'n you knows where to look!

my third 256
21st October 2012, 03:11 AM
is that the same place wimen get theirs for catching us fellas LOL

The BigFella
21st October 2012, 04:09 PM
not quite mythird256, but they do provide some yummy options for the camp oven though!
Baked Rabbit with garlic and red wine, baked sweet potato's, steamed beans and baked pumpkin, doesnt get much better then that folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
21st October 2012, 04:18 PM
Noticed some articles in your camp oven that were green and/or orange what the.
pumpkin ok, beans ok. just carrots not a chance in hell
Nah just joking all to soon hey weather warming up and all

threedogs
26th October 2012, 01:21 PM
Gee last rabbit we tried had shottie pellets , cost a fortune to buy a pair. trying to make room in my shed for ths one tonner and found this.
made it years ago. it's a toaster that flips your toast when you turn your wrist. worked a treat too. other pic is for BF and Macca of brass anvil smallest one

The BigFella
26th October 2012, 01:36 PM
Awesome, should start marketing some of your ideas TD.
Aussie Made and Proud of it!

threedogs
26th October 2012, 01:47 PM
Got bored out of my brain the other day and ended up making this from a stick I took off the dog.
One part is old jack handle extension, tempted to try for some bunnies next trip, this trap has spade symbol on plate.

The BigFella
26th October 2012, 02:27 PM
like your toaster, nice a big for those toasties the next day! You know, when you have roast lamb and potato left over from the night before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
26th October 2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, did have a round job like yours but my eldest used to take it to work and lost it. ticked off as it was my
dads. but hey what can you do.?

MEGOMONSTER
26th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Got bored out of my brain the other day and ended up making this from a stick I took off the dog.
One part is old jack handle extension, tempted to try for some bunnies next trip, this trap has spade symbol on plate.

3D Is there anything you can't do or don't know

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

threedogs
26th October 2012, 06:04 PM
If you look at something long enough and have a few tools anything is possible. Just take your time.
Theres a ship load I don't know and plenty of things I cant do, Woodworking springs to mind, but got BFF for that

threedogs
28th October 2012, 12:46 PM
Heres a stubbie/drink holder I used to use . handy on the river bank.
just a couple of Horse shoes and a railway spike.

threedogs
28th October 2012, 03:06 PM
Plus who has the happiest dogs in Australia now.

Even I'd be proud to cock a leg on this beauty'

BigRAWesty
28th October 2012, 06:53 PM
Nice.. Pretty cool can holder..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MEGOMONSTER
28th October 2012, 06:57 PM
Plus who has the happiest dogs in Australia now.

Even I'd be proud to cock a leg on this beauty'

Classic, just brilliant.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

BigRAWesty
29th October 2012, 04:35 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/101.jpg
I couldn't let that idea go 3dogs..
Why 8? I'm sure the first 4 will go missing in the first trip, so I'm prepared... Lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

my third 256
29th October 2012, 07:27 AM
hope you are getting royalties for that product three dogs

threedogs
29th October 2012, 08:09 AM
Personal use only......??

On my DIY awning thread I made the comment
"don't normally share my ideas" might have to think about that now.

BigRAWesty
29th October 2012, 08:57 AM
It's all about sharing ain't it? Those jailers keys look the part to. Nice and simple..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 05:08 PM
A small fridge in the car has made a big different for me.

Storage drawers and storage crates for the gear makes life so much easier too.

threedogs
7th April 2013, 11:11 AM
Heres an easy one,
and quick note to self steel WILL be Hot after cutting with grinder. ooh yeah.
This is a copy of Medieval tool, could be used today scaled back a bit.
Only made from scrap material lying around

More suited to a tripod if anyone uses one.
If anyone wants to make one I'll post some better pictures
Not too difficult at all

The BigFella
8th April 2013, 07:17 AM
Hey ThreeDogs, that looks like an old dis-arming tool!

threedogs
8th April 2013, 07:42 AM
@ BF saw a rusty one on Ebay UK, was used on an open fire on a swing away arm from memory

Mitch.mccabe
10th March 2014, 10:27 PM

Where do I buy one of these?????? Awesome.. But seriously where do I get one?

oncedisturbed
11th March 2014, 12:45 AM
Same here l want 1 as well

threedogs
11th March 2014, 07:14 AM
that's Macca's design he called them the Jailer's keys for obvious reason.
Easy enough to make, 12mm rod and some chain link

Mitch.mccabe
11th March 2014, 02:31 PM
Never welded i thing in my life, thinks i may have to buy a cheapy and start playing

threedogs
11th March 2014, 03:21 PM
@ Mitch just look at things in a different way , just cause it says one thing doesn't mean you cant use it for something else
Bit far away but if you get stuck yell out

If any one has some REO bar or rod laying around to make the circle you will need 945mm of rod.
slowly crimp in a vice to form your circle. would even work square if its easier, I'll whip up a square one tomorrow
and see how it turns out. Square I'd go 250 x 250 mm, pack easier too

ezza57
25th March 2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the great info, for a newbie this is pure gold

threedogs
25th March 2014, 04:56 PM
trivets should be ready soon, MK11 will have a 25mm hole in the centre,
They will be featured in 4x4 Australia mag in about 3months time.
If you have any stuff Ezza feel free to put up a pic

Only 2 of those Gasmate spit burner stoves left too

threedogs
30th March 2014, 01:26 PM
ok I bought a stainless steel bucket yesterday for $9 very happy , need some input on what I can use it for,
Main reason is for getting hot water to do dishes at camp, and maybe keep some shrimps alive during the day.
Then I tried the lid off my cast alloy camp oven and it fits a treat as you can see. I already have a steamer,
that would do a bag of spuds at a time, but any ideas would be great like boiling some yabbies HHHMMMM Yabbies

DIL380
3rd April 2014, 08:12 PM
I used to spend a fair bit of time in the bush in my previous job. I had a normal plunger with a few holes drilled in the rubber boot. Using it in the way you would usually use a plunger but in a bucket makes for easy washing of clothes as the water goes thru the holes as the plunger agitates the clothes.....same principle as a normal washing machine

P4trol
4th April 2014, 08:38 AM
Ok this is off topic, as it's not in camp...
Finding myself too poor to afford the Gucci storage tubs for the trailer, I am going to use buckets. 20L with a tight fitting lid. The sort you *might* get plaster or something in. Brand new though.

The idea is to store everything from sleeping bags to food in them.

One will be used for washing while travelling. Fill with water, dirty clothes, soap, and drive with it in the trailer.

threedogs
4th April 2014, 08:48 AM
@P4 great idea I'm a big believer in a box or storage container for everything.
I found those 4terrain clutch pine boxes very handy and a great step/seat too if required.
Some plastic can be too brittle, I only try to use either square or rectangle, as it packs better than round.
even had my mate make me a square stainless steel billy.
If the lids keep the dust out go for it I say, put some pics here

menace 2
4th April 2014, 12:38 PM
I actually seen one of hose set ups with the ring and legs in a bric a brac antiques type shop in Olinda Melb. about 10 years ago...took me a while to work out what it would be used for ...I think the design was used a long time ago and could be fabbed on the run in a rudamentry manner by anyone ( way back )...I looked at it and thought what would you do with it now !...thinking there would be newer and better ways now ...lolololol...go figure hey ..simplicity still works better ....sorry to let you down with design initiative big fella ...lolololol...then again it could have just been a one off who thought the same as you ...I don't know

threedogs
4th April 2014, 01:23 PM
think you mean Macca and I agree it could be whipped up from anything lying around and was
as that was the way the settlers did things.
As Macca pointed out its great to keep your camp oven food warm while waiting on other bits
If cooking for heaps of ppl I'd have one in my kit

menace 2
4th April 2014, 01:36 PM
yep...knocking one up myself...simple , easy and quick to use, small , minimal space to store , can be bashed about...everything going for it...simplicity always comes back as best usually

threedogs
5th March 2019, 04:20 PM
Love my camping gear especially cooking ,Aldi had a sale on for round
Potjies great unit comes in a square wooden box, square packs better
cant wait to do a slow cooked steew in it mmmmmmmm.
Ill put the photo of potjie soon,love my alloy camp oven