PDA

View Full Version : Tough Dog RTS Damper - worth doing? or just a waste of time & money?

ozzymalone
18th September 2012, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

My steering damper is starting to look a little worse for wear and looking at swapping out for a RTS style set-up.....anyone have experience with these? Worth doing?

nissannewby
18th September 2012, 02:35 PM
I have used both and would rather use the standard style. Just my thoughts anyway.

taslucas
18th September 2012, 04:00 PM
My mate (itsamav on here) just fitted one and likes it. He only went a standard rtc not a big bore one.

Tap, crackle, pop

megatexture
18th September 2012, 05:27 PM
yea ive got one also just standard rtc they arnt bad ive not used a standard Damper so cant compare but am happy how it performs over stock

NissanGQ4.2
18th September 2012, 05:46 PM
I assume you are referring to RTC ( Return to center ), never heard of RTS and sorry no experience with them

My thoughts

Worth doing.........not likely

Worth the extra money, I doubt it very much

I replaced mine probable 6 months ago and couldn't justify spending the extra on RTC so didn't go RTC, if I had to do it again I still wouldn't be likely to go RTC

stets
18th September 2012, 06:36 PM
Used 3 types over the years.

Standard type is pretty pathetic and does nothing for me

RTC type, loved it, put it through hell, wore it out.

Adjustable tough dog. MAN THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!! adjust it to suit road conditions makes steering stiffer and easier to feel on high speed gravel, soften it up for the sand and jar as hell for the rocks. Can adjust it to suit all types of terrain. Never will I go back to anything else

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

Dark 1
18th September 2012, 07:07 PM
I had a rtc on my gu & will put one on the current vehicle when the other dies. I loved it & it helped to fix some of the dreaded gu death wobbles.

Ben-e-boy
18th September 2012, 07:39 PM
I have used both and would rather use the standard style. Just my thoughts anyway.

I assume you are referring to RTC ( Return to center ), never heard of RTS and sorry no experience with them

My thoughts

I replaced mine probable 6 months ago and couldn't justify spending the extra on RTC so didn't go RTC, if I had to do it again I still wouldn't be likely to go RTC

X2, I have the standard RTC damper, The spring rubs on the shock itself and gives a knocking noise that I chased for ages I thought it was a steering joint

I wouldnt buy one again.

taslucas
18th September 2012, 08:03 PM
X2, I have the standard RTC damper, The spring rubs on the shock itself and gives a knocking noise that I chased for ages I thought it was a steering joint

I wouldnt buy one again.

Is that the products fault or the setup? (not saying you didn't set it up right!)

Tap, crackle, pop

Ben-e-boy
18th September 2012, 08:11 PM
Is that the products fault or the setup? (not saying you didn't set it up right!)

Tap, crackle, pop

I recon its the product, I have a lift kit but everything is geometrically correct, I think the spring needs to have a larger diametre, I have been told by many people to get rid of as they have also similar issues. I'm just running it to failure as it still does work i must say.

taslucas
18th September 2012, 09:22 PM
Thats cr@p then. But my mates is a toughdog RTC (not bigbore) on a three inch lift and doesnt touch. Would it make any difference which way the spring went maybe?

ozzymalone
19th September 2012, 10:38 AM

My thoughts

Yeah RTC....you got me in my haste. (Smarty pants ;)