PDA

View Full Version : HELP! For a mates MQ shorty...Suggestion please!

ozzymalone
18th September 2012, 11:40 AM
Hello All,

My mate has an MQ Shorty running the 2.8 petrol motor. It has seen better days but has just told me of his new drama and needs some advice. Although occasionally hard to start, once fired up and running he has run into the problem of when he want to shut her off, the key isn't doing the trick. He has to stall her to shut it off....ideas of problem area to look at.

Could this be an earthing issue stopping the circuit from doing its job? Ideas welcome.

patch697
18th September 2012, 12:17 PM
Has he wired anything up to it recently???

ozzymalone
18th September 2012, 01:34 PM
Nothing at all Patchy....He did push it through some mud holes recently but nothing too deep. It is getting on it years and he drives it like he stole it on the tracks (i think he thinks its a comp truck!) so thats why i was thinking something could of rattled loose

threedogs
18th September 2012, 01:41 PM
Maybe wire off at the back of ignition

Yendor
18th September 2012, 02:13 PM
Try disconnecting the alternator, easiest place would be at the external regulator (if it still has one) and see if it still does it.

Also try disconnecting any electric cooling fans that might be fitted.

Hows the timing?

taslucas
18th September 2012, 02:38 PM
My old MQ shorty has had a kill switch fitted. Was on it when I got it so maybe it's a common problem? Could something in the ignition barrel wear out?

Tap, crackle, pop

ozzymalone
18th September 2012, 04:15 PM
My old MQ shorty has had a kill switch fitted. Was on it when I got it so maybe it's a common problem? Could something in the ignition barrel wear out?

That's what I am wondering...wasn't sure if the barrel would work on turn on but not off? _ Will go have a look at the akt, & see if its got the external regulator still (not original motor - so good point!) ...Keep yous' in the loop.

Keep the options coming too if you can think of anything else to check. Ta

MQ MAD
19th September 2012, 10:15 AM
The ignition barrells do tend to flog out, specially IF people have 5 million keys hanging outta it ......
(Gee how many have all those darn keys on one key ring ?????)
If memory serves me right,early stage of alseimers maybe , i had to replace an ignition barrell cause it was a similar issue
Driving thru mud n stuff, an earth or any wire could start to break anywhere really, get all the earth connectors on the body,unbolt scuff up with sandpaper,nice clean conection
A dirty or bad earth could be the issue
hard to start sometimes, wonder if the issues are related somehow ....

ozzymalone
19th September 2012, 10:22 AM
The ignition barrells do tend to flog out, specially IF people have 5 million keys hanging outta it ......
(Gee how many have all those darn keys on one key ring ?????)
If memory serves me right,early stage of alseimers maybe , i had to replace an ignition barrell cause it was a similar issue
Driving thru mud n stuff, an earth or any wire could start to break anywhere really, get all the earth connectors on the body,unbolt scuff up with sandpaper,nice clean conection
A dirty or bad earth could be the issue
hard to start sometimes, wonder if the issues are related somehow ....

Yeah I had that in the back of my mind also MQ, I know he is always spraying Start Ya' Bastard down the carb for startup! Will have to go have a gander, Cheers All

GQ TANK
20th September 2012, 05:48 PM
Put a meter on the coil, does the volts dis appear when you turn the ignition off?

Also I though there was a cut out solnoid on the carby

ozzymalone
12th October 2012, 11:08 AM
Will be spending some time with my mate on Saturday so I will see if he got to the bottom of it.....I passed on all suggestions and your responses are muchly appreciated. "GREAT SUCCESS!!!"