PDA

View Full Version : Which tyres to take?

Winnie
18th September 2012, 07:14 AM
Next weekend me and some mates are going on a high country trip. Heading out from Erica on the Friday and going to stay at one of the Donnelly's Creek Track huts that night. Plan on doing Trig Track and heaps of others out that way. Hoping to end up in Mansfield. I'm wondering whether I should bolt my muddies on. My two choices are:
- 33" Silverstone Extremes (Centipede copies)
- 265/75R16 Maxxis AT700. Pretty good everywhere but mud or greasy tracks.

The muddies are shocking on the road but offroad there is no comparison. Pretty easily damaged by sharp rocks though. If I get bogged with the ATs on there are winches and other vehicles to snatch if need be.

At the moment I'm thinking the ATs because I don't want my muddies damaged, but I don't really know what the tracks out there are like and they might be fine.

PS. Can anybody recommend some other tracks to do out that way?

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

threedogs
18th September 2012, 07:32 AM
Mate muddies, muddies ,muddies as you never know what the weather is going to do. Be prepared

Winnie
18th September 2012, 08:09 AM
I still haven't had my muddies on since I got my new bar, gonna look soooooooooooopa sooooooooooopa tuff!!

Bob
18th September 2012, 08:12 AM
Check whether the Roads are open in that area.
Parts of the High Country are closed June to November

Winnie
18th September 2012, 08:14 AM
Didn't see any closures when we were up last weekend but we didn't go very far. Is there a website that lists road closures?

Bob
18th September 2012, 08:19 AM
Try this site

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/fire,-flood-and-other-closures/seasonal-road-closures2

Winnie
18th September 2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for that Bob, looks like we will miss out on a couple of the tracks we wanted to do but certainly won't spoil the weekend. Cheers!

Bob
18th September 2012, 08:35 AM
Have a great weekend

Bloodyaussie
18th September 2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah area's we went to a couple of months ago were all shut so we ended up scooting over to Toolangi and camping there... it was so frustrating to come across closed sign after sign!!!

Oh and muddies of course mate!!!!!

Sir Roofy
18th September 2012, 09:23 AM
Theres rain coming mate watch the river crossings there up now and wont
take much to flood over the week end
tyres take your muddies,you might even get snow, have a safe trip

PICS AS WELL

Winnie
18th September 2012, 09:26 AM
I'm always very cautious with river crossings, still don't have a snorkel so would hate to see my engine flooded. Oh don't you worry, we have a designated photographer so there will be plenty of pics haha

Sir Roofy
18th September 2012, 09:42 AM
i'm always very cautious with river crossings, still don't have a snorkel so would hate to see my engine flooded. Oh don't you worry, we have a designated photographer so there will be plenty of pics haha

its not so much the depth of the water its the rate of flow that can get you

Winnie
18th September 2012, 09:44 AM
So you're telling me that a 6m deep crossing that is flowing very slowly is safe to cross?? BEAUTY!! LMAO yeah yeah I know

Sir Roofy
18th September 2012, 09:54 AM
so you're telling me that a 6m deep crossing that is flowing very slowly is safe to cross?? Beauty!! Lmao yeah yeah i know

you got maps of where your going

Winnie
18th September 2012, 09:57 AM
Not yet going to stop in at Aussies on the way home and grab one today.

Sir Roofy
18th September 2012, 10:01 AM
not yet going to stop in at aussies on the way home and grab one today.

roof tops are best the tracks are pretty close to what they say they are

Winnie
18th September 2012, 10:12 AM
Yep I've got a few roof top maps and they've never let me down.

Bob
18th September 2012, 10:18 AM
I used to have a full set of Maps from DSE which were great

Try this Site or visit your local DSE

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/property-titles-and-maps/maps-imagery-and-data/maps

Winnie
18th September 2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah my mate has a big book of CFA maps which has most tracks on it. I prefer the paper fold up maps though.

threedogs
18th September 2012, 12:31 PM
Can you still get that ES MAPs book that was the best ever