PDA

View Full Version : Suspension geometry question????

td42dan
17th September 2012, 10:01 AM
on a 4 " lift perhaps any lift but this is what i have. on the front diff, should the panhard rod and
tie rod (from the steering box to left swivel hub nuckle ) be on the same angle???? mine are not and ive heard this will give greater bump steer!!!!! im running 4" soft dobinson coils with efs extreme shocks, also 15x10 alloys with 33x12.5x15 tyres. any input or thoughts would be good.

Bigrig
17th September 2012, 10:49 AM
on a 4 " lift perhaps any lift but this is what i have. on the front diff, should the panhard rod and
tie rod (from the steering box to left swivel hub nuckle ) be on the same angle???? mine are not and ive heard this will give greater bump steer!!!!! im running 4" soft dobinson coils with efs extreme shocks, also 15x10 alloys with 33x12.5x15 tyres. any input or thoughts would be good.

Do you mean your panhard and steering arm mate? The tie rod goes horizontally across from swivel knuckle to swivel knuckle.

Not sure if there's any positive effect on steering having them at roughly the same angle at standard height, but the panhard would continue to increase in angle the higher you go being tied to the chassis, whilst the steering arm (draglink) would increase also, however most would change the pitman arm on the steering box out to a dropped style like on the GU's to bring the steering arm back down flatter (I have) - basically to take load off the steering box - the flatter it is, the more it's pushing outward on the wheel when turning, as opposed to having a sharp dropping angle that would see the steering box trying to push the arm downwards as much as outwards causing more stress, and no doubt other steering related issues.

Did that make sense?? lol. Hope so.

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2012, 11:03 AM
Bump steer is caused by not enough Caster Correction and should be fixed with Drop boxes or Drop arms.

As Scotties stated the angle of your Drag Link from your steering box will put weight on your box but not really equate to control issues. The angle of both the Drag link and the Panard are dictated by the spring length and amount of lift. A 4" lift is well within the scope of movement.

If you have bump steer issues then look at your caster correction. if you just have offset bushes junk them and go Drop boxes.

td42dan
18th September 2012, 10:48 AM
yeah i ment the steering arm.....ive not heard of changing the pitman arm from a gu!!!!!!! might give that ago. cheers.

Do you mean your panhard and steering arm mate? The tie rod goes horizontally across from swivel knuckle to swivel knuckle.

Not sure if there's any positive effect on steering having them at roughly the same angle at standard height, but the panhard would continue to increase in angle the higher you go being tied to the chassis, whilst the steering arm (draglink) would increase also, however most would change the pitman arm on the steering box out to a dropped style like on the GU's to bring the steering arm back down flatter (I have) - basically to take load off the steering box - the flatter it is, the more it's pushing outward on the wheel when turning, as opposed to having a sharp dropping angle that would see the steering box trying to push the arm downwards as much as outwards causing more stress, and no doubt other steering related issues.

Did that make sense?? lol. Hope so.

td42dan
18th September 2012, 10:53 AM
ive got drop boxes in already, ive changed my coils to a softer rate, just trying to get it all spot on as im now more into hard core touring appose to just hard core driving.
had this truck set up for over 7yrs but me and the gq getting older just after more comfort and ease of driving... thought of getting radius arms to suit but not sure if they will fix 100%
to what ive already got, i no my castor angle is about +-0 and should be about +2 or +3.......

Bump steer is caused by not enough Caster Correction and should be fixed with Drop boxes or Drop arms.

As Scotties stated the angle of your Drag Link from your steering box will put weight on your box but not really equate to control issues. The angle of both the Drag link and the Panard are dictated by the spring length and amount of lift. A 4" lift is well within the scope of movement.

If you have bump steer issues then look at your caster correction. if you just have offset bushes junk them and go Drop boxes.