PDA

View Full Version : 3 way fridges? which one?

ozzyboy
16th September 2012, 06:39 PM
looking to buy myself a 3 way fridge, so i can run on gas when camp is set up.
Does anyone have one, pass on hints, recomendations, value for money?
I see some cheapies on fleabay for 500 odd, but i'm guessing you get what you pay for.

cheers

ozz

threedogs
16th September 2012, 06:49 PM
3 ways are only any good if you camp in one spot for 2 weeks plus at a time,
I can do that with my engel and 80 watt solar panel, would only need to go to town
for drinks and food if I ran out
Why the 3 way in particular????

Maxhead
16th September 2012, 06:50 PM
We have a dometic in the caravan. Works well and we're happy with it.

3 way fridges are not great on 12v and won't cool your food down but will keep it cold when traveling. On gas you need them fairly level to be efficient but they work very well and use bugger all gas.

Best to put cold stuff into them before going.

........... On the move

ozzyboy
16th September 2012, 06:53 PM
just bought the camper and setting it up. was thinking a 100 amp battery to run lights, water etc, and a 3 way fridge so it can run of the 4.5kg.
I dont have dual batteries at the moment, and won't before the qld meet. And i know jack about power / electricity / 12 volt etc. goes straight over my head.

ozz

Maxhead
16th September 2012, 06:57 PM
We've been on the road for a couple of months and I haven't had a warm beer yet:) hahah and we have had a week at a time where it's been cloudy.

........... On the move

AB
16th September 2012, 06:58 PM
I'm new to 3 ways but they are good for stationary as mentioned and they are perfect for a few days at camp and use bugger all gas.

Run them on mains for a few days before hand load it up with goodies and max 5 hour drive to camp and put gas on job done.

I would actually like to hear from people who uses these all the time with 12v on the road and gas at camp for some opinions on cooling,etc???

Don't they draw about 10amps on 12v.

threedogs
16th September 2012, 07:02 PM
Yeah they are shockers on 12 volts, can't really see the point as a 100 ah aux battery and a 80watt solar panel
will have the fridge working virtually forever, unles it rains for 40 days and 40 nights, it has once before but solar wasn't around

Plus they need to be level

Maxhead
16th September 2012, 07:07 PM
Another thing is which climate you are in.
We had ours changed to tropical rating by installing a thermostat controlled fan on the heat exchanger.
It will be a lot more efficient in hot/humid climates.

I'm looking at the book at the moment and although there is no specs it said it will draw 15amps at 12v dc. But it's only on 12 when driving or going to the shops so it's fine

........... On the move

AB
16th September 2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah they are shockers on 12 volts, can't really see the point as a 100 ah aux battery and a 80watt solar panel
will have the fridge working virtually forever, unles it rains for 40 days and 40 nights, it has once before but solar wasn't around

Plus they need to be level

Easter on the Murray is a good example of how a 3 way can be beneficial.

I set up and job done and without solar I would be in trouble as you need a few hours of driving to charge.

threedogs
16th September 2012, 07:16 PM
Not many fridges will work if its really humid, a bit like gas stoves dont like altitude.
buy one of the 12 volt computer fans and direct it onto the motor makes it a little more efficient

Ab thats where 3ways come into their own base camping for long periods,

Niss a set up in a van is completely different to a mobile unit.

AB
16th September 2012, 07:19 PM
Not many fridges will work if its really humid, a bit like gas stoves dont like altitude.
buy one of the 12 volt computer fans and direct it onto the motor makes it a little more efficient

I just bought a 12v fan for princess for the qld meet up.

No indication of usage so I'm guessing they are about 0.5???

boots
16th September 2012, 07:19 PM
Just got the ALDI catalogue in the letterbox and they have one from sat 22nd sep , 299$ 3way fridge 45 litre weighs 19.5kg and 12 month warranty . NO I dont work for aldi but gee they have some good stuff .

threedogs
16th September 2012, 07:26 PM
X 2 Boots great stuff coming out of Aldi's, seems to be good quality as well. and reasonably priced
But for 4x4 vehicle based camping IMO a 12/240 fridge is the way to go

AB
16th September 2012, 07:29 PM
Rubber floor mats with high sides from aldi...best!

ozzyboy
16th September 2012, 07:29 PM
i might try grab the aldi. cheap and almost disposable. If it no good, i don't lose too much.
Gives me the chance to save and do my batteries / solar and a engel

ozz

threedogs
16th September 2012, 07:47 PM
If you weren't too far away I'd let you borrow mine to try, probably tell not a big fan of the 3 way
Can you hire one for the meet up, just don't want to see you throw your money away.
My thinking is 99% of people with 4x4 have a 12/240 engel ,waeco, national luna whatever and you want a 3 way

Yes AB those small square fans pull very little plus they are cycling with the fridge

ozzyboy
16th September 2012, 07:52 PM
i am that 1% :P
hiring one probably not a bad idea. will look around rocky here see whats available

ozz

healy
16th September 2012, 07:52 PM
I've got a hand me down 3 way fridge jackeroo and it's been going for 10 plus years but aldi this week will have a 3way for sale 299 39ltr. I see someone has already beaten me

ozzyboy
17th September 2012, 04:11 PM
Change of heart. I think i will be picking up a 80 litre waeco duel zone tomorrow.
The choice was between the waeco 80 litre and engel 75l combo. Two reasons why the waeco......
1) got a better deal with the waeco and
2) the height difference is over 100mm

Thanks for the help

Ozz

Maxhead
17th September 2012, 06:07 PM
Change of heart. I think i will be picking up a 80 litre waeco duel zone tomorrow.
The choice was between the waeco 80 litre and engel 75l combo. Two reasons why the waeco......
1) got a better deal with the waeco and
2) the height difference is over 100mm

Thanks for the help

Ozz

Congrats on the purchase mate. Just make sure you have plenty of battery or solar or something to keep it running .

I run a cf-50 as a freezer and it's been great fridge/freezer.

It's a good size and will hold plenty of cans... Hahah

........... On the move

Stropp
17th September 2012, 06:27 PM
buy one of those super cheap battery packs to run the fridge, probably last a couple of days before it needs charging again.

ozzyboy
17th September 2012, 07:02 PM
heyas. yeah i was thinking of this battery / solar panel set up with some sort of battery box. should be enough to run the fridge and some led lights and small random stuff as needed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12v-100AH-CARAVAN-DEEP-CYCLE-MARINE-4WD-AGM-BATTERY-SOLAR-2YR-WARRANTY-/271013483925?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f19a99595

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-Folding-Kit-Caravan-Camping-Power-120w-Mono-/350603305304?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item51a195e158

i think this should work

ozz

threedogs
17th September 2012, 07:23 PM
Cheaper to buy a blank battery box/marine type, figure out your amps lights ,fridge etc.
But a 100 ah battery will be fine for the weekend and later can be fitted in your 4x4.
LED lighting pulls no power at all and fridge tops 4 amps per hour.

Just checked the solar panel, that'll put 6.5 amps back into your battery an hour on any sunny day the only time it wont work is if its raining. All you need is a battery box, all is good.. you'll have heaps of power for fridge and lighting, try to keep fridge full rg wine bladders with water to fill voids .

Sorry Stropp I'd avoid those cheap battery packs overpriced and maybe 24 ah tops. better off buying a battery deep cycle

ozzyboy
17th September 2012, 08:16 PM
just bought this solar panel. seems to have the better regulator.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360466559807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

we just got a long way of topic from 3 way fridges huh lol

ozz

threedogs
18th September 2012, 07:21 AM
Its all related, first they talk you out of a 3way, then get you to buy solar panels and batteries.
I'll put a pic of my battery box up soon, I put extra outlets on mine for different plug types,
cheaper than buying it done, Using battery box I can move my lighting say down to the river edge for
a few hours, plus also made some 12 volt extension leads, double adaptors, and merit to cigarette adaptors
Remember to chase the sun with your panel.
Heres my power pack I've made with only an 18AH motorcycle size battery. I do all my backyard lighting with this and the small solar panel. 100AH battery for camp duties.

Flo-w
19th September 2012, 10:54 AM
Just got the ALDI catalogue in the letterbox and they have one from sat 22nd sep , 299$ 3way fridge 45 litre weighs 19.5kg and 12 month warranty . NO I dont work for aldi but gee they have some good stuff .
You beat me to it. :P
What I like about Aldi is the no-hassle return should something not work.

Waza
11th December 2012, 10:25 AM
Just bought a A35 mobicool 3way for $150 at supercheap auto :-)

It uses 290gm of gas per 24hr , and 6amps per hour on 12v & 240 volt who cares !

Good for a cooling fridge and testing on 240 does freeze the ice cubes when placed on the element but not the food however it is a cooler rated to 25C below ambient.

Just need a gas bottle & hose with regulator about $60 and no food spoilage.

It's not what you want for a beer fridge but I use a esky that keeps ice for up to six days so now I'm set for a week away.

Yes solar panels,deep cycle battery,power regulator & waeco 60lt is the way to go but that's ten times what I paid !

Ymmv

Cheers

healy
11th December 2012, 11:34 AM
just bought this solar panel. seems to have the better regulator.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360466559807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

we just got a long way of topic from 3 way fridges huh lol

ozz

I also bought this to run my 50ltr dual zone waeco that runs off a 65 amp batt which before I put the panel on only lasted 20 hours. Now it does not go flat at all

GQ TANK
11th December 2012, 10:35 PM
I have a chestcold 3 way - only use it for base camping and partys at home. Great as a drink fridge

Camping with the wife is carvan sites with mains power.

I have never run it on battery as its rated at 10 amp contstant

If you look on eviel bay they are going quite cheap - considewring it was nearly a grnd when the wife brought it.

( i relayy wanted an engel)