PDA

View Full Version : GQ Clock only works when it wants to!

uted
2nd November 2010, 11:51 AM
hi to all! just a minor issue with my clock. it does hold the time but it works when it wants to! rang the wreckers but they said most of the clocks do this? is this true? would like to hear from anyone with similar problem and how this can be fixed? (i know this would be a minor issue to most but in my job i must record time 10+ times a day)

patch697
2nd November 2010, 12:21 PM
A common problem & it can be fixed but you will need to know something about electronics to do the job yourself or I can do the job for you depending on your location will determine how long a turn around it will be.

So post back here & I will work something out with you.

uted
2nd November 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi patch697, the names Dave and i live in Yering, Vic. (in the Yarra Valley) I have been speaking to a few mates today and they say its a common problem an I should just pull out the clock and re solder the connections on the circuit board to the resistor (blue thing with a white stripe on bottom of board). Do you know if this is hard to do? (I have some soldering experience) or is it more complicated than this? or should I just send/bring it to you?

red92gq
2nd November 2010, 10:23 PM
We could start a new club called" The Stuffed GQ clock club "

I'm on my 3rd GQ now an yet to get one with a working clock

patch697
2nd November 2010, 10:30 PM
Its not that hard to do in fact............ I have some pics that will explain what you need to do & of the parts you should replace while you have it out. The parts are available at jaycar electronics & cost about a dollar so I will post it up in a day or 2 & if you don't think your up for the task I will arrange for you to post it to me & I will do the job & post it back.

uted
3rd November 2010, 10:35 AM

Geez that would be a BIG club!!! Damm near every patrol owner in aus would want to join!!!

uted
3rd November 2010, 10:54 AM
Its not that hard to do in fact............ I have some pics that will explain what you need to do & of the parts you should replace while you have it out. The parts are available at jaycar electronics & cost about a dollar so I will post it up in a day or 2 & if you don't think your up for the task I will arrange for you to post it to me & I will do the job & post it back.

If you could post up any pics/ part i need to fix it that would be very handy, as i might give it a go myself. after i'm done i'll post detailed info on how mine was fixed and what parts i required for the benefit of all gq owners to upgrade there factory specs (broken clock) If i get stuck i'll pm you. cheers

YNOT
3rd November 2010, 11:05 AM

I've had 2 GQ's, both had clocks that never gave trouble.

Tony

patch697
3rd November 2010, 11:12 AM
I've had 2 GQ's, both had clocks that never gave trouble.

Tony

How is that even possible...................hhahahahah.........

You know you were just dam lucky Tony.........lolol

sh3rmy85
5th November 2010, 09:17 AM
I thought I was the only one :) Mine only works when you don't care for the time, but when you need it.. out. lol

patch697
5th November 2010, 10:25 AM
to all forum members that are interested...............

Given the hi amount of clocks that have problems I may poll this thread & see how many members here would like some sort of change over system?

If the response is good I will gather up a few clocks & repair them & for a small fee (to cover parts & postage) I will do a change over for forum members only.

Whats your thoughts????

uted
13th November 2010, 09:26 AM

Given the hi amount of clocks that have problems I may poll this thread & see how many members here would like some sort of change over system?

If the response is good I will gather up a few clocks & repair them & for a small fee (to cover parts & postage) I will do a change over for forum members only.

Whats your thoughts????

G'day patch697, i reckon thats a brilliant idea! i've got the clock out but simply dont have the time to fix it. (doing auto to man conversion) how much would it be change over for a working clock change over? (ps sorry it took me so long to reply)

patch697
13th November 2010, 02:01 PM
G'day patch697, i reckon thats a brilliant idea! i've got the clock out but simply dont have the time to fix it. (doing auto to man conversion) how much would it be change over for a working clock change over? (ps sorry it took me so long to reply)

Im thinking about $50 including postage & $20 of that is going to be donated back to the forum ongoing (as in for every clock changed over) so what do you think about the price?

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2010, 02:36 PM
Im thinking about $50 including postage & $20 of that is going to be donated back to the forum ongoing (as in for every clock changed over) so what do you think about the price?

nice work Paul, supplying a cheap service and donating some of the money back into the forum :) only if there were more people in the world like you :)

SIMO2X
22nd November 2010, 11:26 AM
lol, my GQ's clock is stil working after 390000k's i bet ill walk out now and it wont be working after saying so.

patch697
22nd November 2010, 11:58 AM
lol, my GQ's clock is stil working after 390000k's i bet ill walk out now and it wont be working after saying so.

LOL your one of the very few & very lucky ones mate & I hope it stays thay way.....Good onya & good luck.

boggy2006
22nd November 2010, 07:39 PM
yep, just spotted that my clock was off today, it was on yesterday!

justrocho
22nd November 2010, 08:18 PM
you can have mine. where are you at

patch697
22nd November 2010, 09:05 PM
you can have mine. where are you at

Are you donating it ? or selling it? cos im looking for a few to start me off with this C/O system im kicking off.

Red/Black GQ Patrol
30th November 2010, 04:52 PM
Both of my families GQ's both clocks work and never have gone wrong

Lambroast
3rd January 2011, 12:40 AM
Seems my clock is possesed as well. Works when it feels like it.

Does anybody know if the 'dodgy clock issue' affects any of the other electrics, or is influenced/caused by other electrickery ?

Patch any chance of getting a squiz at the fix please ? I'd like to do mine.

Cheers
Simon

patch697
3rd January 2011, 01:49 PM

Does anybody know if the 'dodgy clock issue' affects any of the other electrics, or is influenced/caused by other electrickery ?

Cheers
Simon

Simon I will be starting a change over system on this forum for clocks at a highly discounted price for members sometime in the next month or 2 so keep an eye out if your interested.

Cheers
Paul

the evil twin
3rd January 2011, 02:33 PM

Cheers
Simon

Hiya Simon

The problem will only affect the clock.

Can you solder at all? ... If so, pull the clock out and access the circuit board. You will see a large resistor (bottom centre) and a poor solder joint here is usually (maybe 50%) but not always the culprit.

Anyway, inspect the board and components for obvious damage/dry joints then resolder the power socket connections on the front lower left, flip the board over and resolder all the component pads on the back especially the large resistor.

DON'T redo the microchip/display soldering unless you know what you are about .

There is a small capacitor that sometimes craps itself as well (very bottom RH corner) up to you what to do about that one.

To resolder the pads just apply the iron and a quick dab with a very small amount of solder, this will fix about 95% of GQ clock problems.

If you can't solder or don't want to have a crack then do an exchange one with Patch when he gets going... buying one from a wrecker or Ebay usually results in getting another with the exact same issues unless they have redone them.

Lambroast
3rd January 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Patch and Evil twin,

Home tommorow so I reckon I'll be pulling the clock out. I do have an electronics background so the soldering job should be fairly straight forward.

Will let you know how it goes.

Simon

the evil twin
3rd January 2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Patch and Evil twin,

Home tommorow so I reckon I'll be pulling the clock out. I do have an electronics background so the soldering job should be fairly straight forward.

Will let you know how it goes.

Simon

Aaahhhh... goodo... didn't want to teach you to suck eggs so apologies for that but you never know who is who on the Forum:p

If you are 'lekky savvy the breakdown of faults on an "intermittent clock" is sorta like...
Dry Joints 70% (usually the large resistor or power socket but best to do 'em all)
Broken track 15%
Dodgy electrolytics/capacitors 15%

It seems there was probably a bad batch of Clocks for dry joints at some point as a lot of people never have a problem but there is such a high incidence of people that do it can't be just "one of those things"

Lambroast
4th January 2011, 07:59 AM
OK sweet cheers evil twin.

Clock's coming out soon. I'll be letting it know it's 'time up' on it's dodgy timekeeping habits :) Lol I kill me !

Have had my fair share of lekkie gremlins over the last few yrs. Damn thing kept flattening batteries on me. Was driving me nuts. Get home from work all ok. Following morning dead flat. Swap battery. Recharge. Repeat process. Repeat process intermittently for about 4 weeks. Fix included: Replaced both batteries (Got a dual setup), replaced alternator, pulled out front passenger lekkie window motor & cleaned it up (still rooted but works occasionally - Pulled it out myself after a visit to a large chain auto sparky mob acheived sweet FA - Long story for another time, not happy Jan), Finally cracked the shits and took it to the local bloke here and left it there. "Fix the bastard or set it on fire. I don't want it back until either one happens ! " 3 days later get a call from them. Turns out aftermarket cooling fan in front of the radiator is buggered. Draining the battery big time. YAY ! Greenwood Autospark - Bloody Champions !

Probably going to open a can of worms playing with the clock, but ..yaaaahhh what the hell !

Cheers
Simon

Gordy
4th January 2011, 10:49 AM

Whats your thoughts????

I think that the price is more than fair, and the fact that some of the amount is going to the forum is great! You can work on mine whenever you are up and running as well

patch697
4th January 2011, 12:44 PM
I think that the price is more than fair, and the fact that some of the amount is going to the forum is great! You can work on mine whenever you are up and running as well

Cheers Gordy I'll PM you when I have some C/O's ready.

Cheers
Paul

Jandrew
4th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Cheers Gordy I'll PM you when I have some C/O's ready.

Cheers
Paul

I would also be interested in your fix when you are up and running with it Patch697

Lambroast
6th January 2011, 09:13 PM
Ok. Clock done. Was fairly painless. Seems to work ok. Pulled off the drivers door trim to investigate
Rattling noise and dodgy speaker. Noise fixed. Speaker working. Checking everything works
from drivers door window/lock controls and rear drivers window decides to pack it in :( job for tommorow methinks...

Simon

Clunk
7th January 2011, 01:03 AM
I think with all this talk of faulty GQ clocks, mine is goin down in sympathy now.......

kris
16th January 2011, 06:01 PM
My gq is the same i just gave up on trying to fix it.

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 03:29 PM
Indeed they seem to cause problems... But the solution is to replace the clock with a wreckers clock (my option), or glue a third-party purchased LCD clock in its place. (purchased from supercheap etc)

patch697
31st January 2011, 10:38 PM
OK I wish to put out a call for anyone who could donate any GQ clocks so I can get a few on the go or the forum GQ clock change over program....

Anyone who can help out please post back here & I will make arrangements to collect them.

Thanks all in advance.

Best Regards
Paul

nassin
12th February 2011, 11:16 PM
would be greatfull if you could post patch on how to fix thanks

Airstrike
12th February 2011, 11:20 PM
All my dials, clock and metres are reading perfect including oil pressure.

simongnz
25th March 2011, 09:30 AM
Awesome - thanks! Man, this forum is good. Through reading posts I've fixed so many little niggling problems on my GQ.

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 09:46 AM
I resoldered mine - worked a treat but is starting to do it again, so appears a temporary fix - that said, I may not have done it well enough and am going to do it again.

Funny how something like this is so irritating!! Got a clock on the radio, got a clock on the phone, but I still want the b@stard to work!! LOL

Silver
25th March 2011, 06:48 PM
There is apparently a Smiths clock that fits with minor filing of the console

NissanGQ4.2
25th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Who care about the clock???? nothing else works on my GQ so why should the clock!

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 08:08 PM
Who care about the clock???? nothing else works on my GQ so why should the clock!

LOL!! I just fixed mine again (for the last time!!) - it's smashing out the time, green and bright ... for a day or two anyway ...

Other than that, I could always use another 12volt connection!!! lol

timbar
26th March 2011, 12:30 AM
Mine stopped working bout 2 years ago around the sme time as the air con stopped working one hot day on my way back from bunbury i pulled over to acually look if maybe there was a fuse under the bonet i decided to earth the cut off solinoid relay for the ac well it fixed the clock but the ac still dont work i dont know exactly what the conection was but i think theres something there tho

benzo
8th April 2011, 08:55 PM
is this a commom problem???

Bigrig
9th April 2011, 06:00 AM
is this a commom problem???

Sure is mate - most the GQ's I know of, including mine, have a "clock issue" of some sort!!!

Chris72GQ
16th April 2011, 11:57 PM
I call my clock, the Christmas Clock, I never know when it is going to work, and surprises me when it does,
funny thing is it always shows true time, except last time it decided to work, but that was coz the battery sh!t itself hehehehehe

chrissey
23rd April 2011, 06:14 AM
Mine stopped working bout 2 years ago around the sme time as the air con stopped working one hot day on my way back from bunbury i pulled over to acually look if maybe there was a fuse under the bonet i decided to earth the cut off solinoid relay for the ac well it fixed the clock but the ac still dont work i dont know exactly what the conection was but i think theres something there tho

I' ve got exactly the same issue since.....yesterda!!! Bloody clock, bloody A/C haha..

Cheers

Aggressive 4x4
20th February 2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Guys, I know this reply is alittle late but mine has benn working on and off for the past five years and 7 weeks ago i did something about. I reckon this will work for you guys aswell. Pull out the curcuit board from the housing and with a soldering iron remelt the solder connections along side the display unit there will be a silver box beside the display screen and those connections i did and has worked ever since. Tech people call it a dry solder joint and re-melting the solder gives it a new connection. I also have done a mates Gq 4 weeks ago and today it is still working. Hope this helps you out.

BossGQ
15th March 2012, 07:36 AM
haha! i thought i was the only one with a faulty clock, only works when you don't need the time

GQUTERUS
15th March 2012, 04:34 PM
WOW, spinout. I thought my clock issues was related to my dodgy wiring behind there. I didn't relise it was a common fault! awesome.

Bigrig
15th March 2012, 04:36 PM
Did mine about three weeks ago, worked perfectly till the weekend when Ryan saw it ... has worked perfectly again ever since!!

Moral to the story: do it, and don't tell anyone!!! lmao

jedskipow
24th March 2012, 08:57 PM
Four gq patrols= four dodgy clocks, always tell the right time if they work. Never tell the time if you want to know what it is although a hefty thump and sometimes YEAH.

Winnie
24th March 2012, 08:59 PM
Mine has been fine since I had it.

Gilbert
31st March 2012, 01:31 AM
Just new to this group and looking for solutions to issues with my Y60. Same problem with mine. good to know I am not alone. I wont worry about this one till I have some time and am feeling relaxed and needing to solder something.

Barney Rubble
2nd April 2012, 10:59 AM
i didnt even notice i had a clock until it just came on one morning for about a minute.

mudmav
8th June 2012, 07:21 AM
mine worked for 5 minutes but when i turned off the ignition to see if it would come on again it wouldnt , at least i know how to get it working again .
and as problems go with cars and 4x4s its not exactly a major ten grand job is it.
thanks for the info guys

Robo
8th June 2012, 08:55 PM
Its a long weekend.
who cares what the time is.
hahahahaha

Robo
30th September 2012, 03:35 PM
Took some pics, think you can take these and place some arrows in to help out on the fix please.

kiwijase
2nd October 2012, 08:08 AM
yep,my clock hasnt worked in awhile,was on and off,not its just off.

BigRAWesty
2nd October 2012, 09:20 AM
Hell, so it's not just mine.. Good to know.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

kiwijase
2nd October 2012, 09:32 AM
i pulled it apart just before,prick to get the board back in the box properly,i scratched a few solder points and away it went,but in putting it back together i snapped the little nipple off the back of the reset button,man i hate little nipples when youre trying to put something in a box

pacs
2nd October 2012, 09:48 AM
mine was playing up and only working some times so I re flowed the solder joints on the main capacitor and all fixed now has not played up for over six months touch wood :)

Robo
2nd October 2012, 03:17 PM
i pulled it apart just before,prick to get the board back in the box properly,i scratched a few solder points and away it went,but in putting it back together i snapped the little nipple off the back of the reset button,man i hate little nipples when youre trying to put something in a box
Try placing your tongue in the other corner !!

MEGOMONSTER
2nd October 2012, 03:30 PM
Try placing your tongue in the other corner !!

If that doesn't get it going , wear a watch. Problem solved. Thread closed.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

Robo
8th October 2012, 01:09 AM
All good now touched up most solders connections little extra new fluxed solder on em to.
working as it supposed to now.
Hate things not working.