PDA

View Full Version : Mk carb adjustment

Abarnes1
15th September 2012, 12:28 PM
hello my L28 petrol with the standard carby is giving me some trouble. blowing alot of blue/brown smoke and idling rough. It sounds very loud to. Smells like unburned fuel and I am not sure how to adjust the fuel or what to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

GQ TANK
15th September 2012, 05:02 PM
go to Neroks web site & down load the manual.

Blue brown smoke = oil - either rings or valve stem seals

www.nerok.info

MQ MAD
15th September 2012, 06:40 PM
Continuously blue smoke , rings
Smoke on start up, stem seals

The L28s have a fine filter just inside the carb, these do block over time,no matter what you do IF its blocked itll run ruff as guts

Check plug colours, check leads for cracks,best at nite stray spark,check dizzy cap for damage
Start the engine , using a water squirter , squirt water around carb base, inlet manifolds and listen for a difference,IF there is , you could have a seal/gasket stuffed
Squirting around the carbs main shaft,these could flog out and cause the fuel/air ratio to be incorrect causing it to run like, well you know
Ensure the battery is good, these things hate not getting enuf battery grunt
Id be doin a few basic tests before assuming its carb related

Abarnes1
16th September 2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks Mr Tank and MQ MAD for the pointers, I have some checking to do now.

blakilox
24th September 2012, 02:30 PM
There is a little window in the side of those carb's, and a dot on the glass, you can see the fuel, is the fuel level in the middle give or take a few mill?

I recently spent 2 day's cleaning my MK Petrol carb out, it was chogged after I mistakenly put Opal fuel in, though then I flushed it out and put some fresh fuel in still it ran very rough and carried on, in fact it would not even run at all without some choke, and it was blowing smoke.

The carb was full of calcium like stuff, I don't think the Opal did that though it was obviously on the edge and the Opal was enough to completley chog it. (Lesson learnt)

I stripped the carb down and very carefully cleaned every nook and crannie and used a fine snapped steel pin (With a sharp edge) to unblock and renovate all the jets till it was imaculate inside, the only thing had to make was one new gasket at the top of the power plunger,
after renovating the Carb, that it ran like a dream,

To make it perfect I still need to replace the little rubber boot at the top of that plunger, I dunno if you can still get those?

There is a useful pic in the MK Manual of that carb that you need when you drop those ball bearings out and can't remember which hole they came out of.

Garry, Alice Springs.