PDA

View Full Version : Mq alternator changeover 24 volt sd33

samnjosh26
14th September 2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Im trying to remove an alternator from my MQ and im having trouble with the hoses attached at the rear of the alternator. Do i disconnect the hoses individually or the piece the hoses are attached to at the back of the alt? Any info about any part of the alt changeover process would be great too thanks
Josh

MQ MAD
15th September 2012, 06:48 PM
One hose has a bent pipe that runs to the brake booster, the flexible hose is attached by a fuel line type clamp,just undo the clamp and slid the flexible hose of the fixed pipe
The other one goes to the block,one end is threaded into the block the other end threaded into the alternator
Sometimes and ive done it, remove the alternator,with this hose attached ,undo the end at the block, once fully removed , remove this hose from alt , reattach to new alt, then fit up ,and reattach hose to block
Sometimes you have to twist the hose up before fitting, so when its all threaded up the hose doesnt have a twist in it,if you know what i mean

The hose from the alt to the block can be a real pain

samnjosh26
16th September 2012, 09:57 AM
Cool thanks there is another hose goin to the block its a thicker one attached by clamps but I'll just disconnect from the alt. Do I have to be worried about oil coming out any of the hoses from the block? Do I need to drain the engine oil?

MQ MAD
16th September 2012, 10:16 AM
The 3rd hose connected by clamps,just undo the clamps and slide the hose of, then reattach
Make sure any of these hoses that are clamped on dont split or get damaged when you remove them
Mite get some sepage of oil, dont worry,no you dont need to drain the oil
IF you dont get it done straight away ensure any or all hose ends or pipe ends are covered so nothin gets in them