PDA

View Full Version : strong custom made engine mounts for gq

patroltb42
13th September 2012, 01:17 PM
Hey People, just the other day i had to change yet another engine mount on my 1988 gq, after breakig 6 or so i am finally over it and cannot afford to buy afrter market so i dicided to build my own.
i started with 2 (left and right) old engine block mounts and 2 old broken engine mounts i built a jig on the bench to bolt these to just as they would sit in the engine bay, then started to look for a sutable replacment, i found an old bent and twisted rear lower trailing arm from a patrol with nolathane bushes still in tact in my scrap heap, so i removed the bushes then cut the ends off the trailing arm. Once this was done i found the bush was the some width as the block mount so i cut the old block mount leaving 30mm on the angle before the bolt holes, then i used 65mm x 6mm flat bar and drilled 15mm hole 35mm from end in the centre of the plate, then i cut them to length at 120mm, i made 4 of these, then bolted the bushes to them and then tac welded the flat bar to the old block mounts while still bolted to the jig. Once this was done i used the old base plates of the original engine mounts and cut a 4mm wall 40 x 40mm section of square tubing to size to fit between the bush seat and the old base plates then welded this all into place while still bolted to jig. here are some pitures of the final result. i also have drawn up a diagram of dimensions i will upload when i find it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19988
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19987
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19986

threedogs
13th September 2012, 01:54 PM
Have seen these before on some comp trucks using suspension bushes,
OK on the track but found lots of vibration for on road use, might need softer rubber???
Was going to use on my V8[ last 4x4] because of same reason, but was talked out of it.
bulletproof mount though, maybe not for all. IMO

MudRunnerTD
13th September 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi mate, they look the goods. I think you need to have a look at how you are hosting your pics and re size them if you can, they are huge and you loose heap of the clarity in them.Not sure i can help you with that but pm AB or Tod and they would be able to sort them out if you cant mate.

I use photobucket to host mine and it is a simple as to then put them up here from there. Alternatively, if they are on your phone look at using Tapatalk and it is simple to host from there direct.

Looking forward to seeing a heap of your pics mate.

Cheers

Bigrig
13th September 2012, 02:26 PM
Outstanding ... something to be done on mine (third time) and the young fella's ...

Thanks champion!!!

the ferret
13th September 2012, 02:29 PM
Ha ha, the Mother of invention, I like the way you went about it mate, well done and thankyou for the post.
That's what this forum is all about..............sharing.
Cheers, the ferret.

Bigrig
13th September 2012, 02:32 PM
Ha ha, the Mother of invention, I like the way you went about it mate, well done and thankyou for the post.
That's what this forum is all about..............sharing.
Cheers, the ferret.

Care to "share" how you make your inflators, rear light spacers, and assorted other goodies??

Didn't think so!!!! Ptooi (the spitting sound!! Pronounced "pitt" "too" "ee" ... lol) !!!! Sharing indeed ....

Roflmao!!!

By the way, I'll PM you for some more inflators ... don't even know where the last batch is after the house move!!! lol

the ferret
13th September 2012, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bigrig;269413]Care to "share" how you make your inflators, rear light spacers, and assorted other goodies??

Didn't think so!!!! Ptooi (the spitting sound!! Pronounced "pitt" "too" "ee" ... lol) !!!! Sharing indeed ....

Roflmao!!!
Thanks Big rig, but I spend many hours on forums sharing what I know, at 63 and having spent all my life fixing stuff, it's nice to sit back and reap the rewards of my experiences.
As a Bush mechanic for most of those years, I have learned a lot of tricks which I share freely.
The tyre deflator was my invention, it's simple yes, and if ya had the gear you could make one, but I'm not sharing that, sorry.
Light brackets and spacers dont need an engineering degree, just a bit of nouse and a tape measure, but to make them to MY standards is another story for another day.
When I am too old to make these things, I will post up plans of everything I make, even deflators lol, but don't be hang'n by yanuts till I do!!
Cheers, the ferret.

patroltb42
13th September 2012, 04:10 PM
thanks for the tip Mudrunner will look into pic size. I also considered the vibration factor threedogs, the ideal bush would be a genuine trailing arm item as it is rubber and much softer than nolathane, didn't really have the option at the time. like you say not for everyone. cheers

Bigrig
13th September 2012, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Bigrig;269413]Care to "share" how you make your inflators, rear light spacers, and assorted other goodies??

Roflmao!!!
Thanks Big rig, but I spend many hours on forums sharing what I know, at 63 and having spent all my life fixing stuff, it's nice to sit back and reap the rewards of my experiences.
As a Bush mechanic for most of those years, I have learned a lot of tricks which I share freely.
The tyre deflator was my invention, it's simple yes, and if ya had the gear you could make one, but I'm not sharing that, sorry.
Light brackets and spacers dont need an engineering degree, just a bit of nouse and a tape measure, but to make them to MY standards is another story for another day.
When I am too old to make these things, I will post up plans of everything I make, even deflators lol, but don't be hang'n by yanuts till I do!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Hahaha - stated like a true gentlemen!!

the ferret
15th September 2012, 12:00 AM
Think this needs a bump.
Cheers, the ferret

Clunk
15th September 2012, 12:06 AM
So who's gonna make up some of these bad boys then????? Lol

Tap till ya can tap no more.....